Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

clutch problems at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 07:16 PM
JoeyFyed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, BASICALLY you need to go to the dealer and have them replace it. Thats it, your overthinking this.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:54 PM
hellsoldiers08

well i want to go their and be like, Hey i want the slave clylinder replaced and the clutch to becuase i think it cuased damage. but the thing is thow i think they would want to have some kinda showing that its not working becuase no one likes to do work for free you no??
Old 06-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Hoooper

they get paid by nissan to do warranty and recall work. they will happily do it because being a recall they hardly have to do any paperwork. you just need to go, tell him you want the slave cylinder recall procedure done. thats it.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:32 PM
hellsoldiers08

but what if they say theirs nothing wrong i just dont think they are going to just be ok well do it becuase you said so
Old 06-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Hoooper

tell them what happened, tell them it happens every day in traffic and you feel really unsafe. tell them to look up tsb # NTB08-002 and perform it

DO NOT COME BACK HERE UNTIL YOU DO THAT. THEY ARENT GOING TO SHOOT YOU IF YOU BRING THE CAR IN TO GET A RECALL, IM NOT SURE WHAT YOURE AFRAID OF.

really, whats the worst that could happen? they turn you away? no harm in going with the facts in hand
Old 06-26-2008, 01:55 PM
CSF

sounds like you're more scared of them being mad at you.
it's their job to serve you...you are entitled to the recall work
Old 06-26-2008, 01:58 PM
SargentZ

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
but what if they say theirs nothing wrong i just dont think they are going to just be ok well do it becuase you said so

Man, you are one hard headed dude. It doesn't matter if there's nothing wrong with it when you take it in. The car was built with a defective part that could go bad at any time and strand your a$$, Thats what happened to me when my clutch stuck to the floor.

Your car has to fall within a specific VIN number range to qualify and you should have gotten a notice in the mail. If not the answer is a 5 minute call away. just have your VIN number handy when you call Nissan.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:17 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its a recall, which is nissan's way of saying "there's something wrong".
Old 06-27-2008, 10:38 PM
hellsoldiers08

Talking

alright i think im going to give it a try but the thing is could i get them to give me a new clutch becuase of a messed up part . becuase that burnt clutch smelled really really really bad and one my friends was like are you shifting right and im like HELL YA i am lol it not me lol.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:16 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Read NTB08-002. Very informative.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:03 PM
SteveZ

tonight i just went to the track and i ran for the first time and got a 14.08 and then the sec. time i went my cluch got stuck down and it would come up very slow and felt very soft than what it was before, and there was a smell and everything. So i thought maybe its hott and causing things to mess up. i went and let the car cool off for a while and it work just fine. I went back to the track and the same things happend again. Do you no what i maybe doing wrong?? or maybe i broke something?
Nothing broken.

Overheating the slave - on my older cars it's on the outside of the trans near a CAT and same thing would happen, my understanding is newer model it's inside the trans case, still a problem.

Clutch goes to the floor, slow to come up, slave. Heat + OEM clutch + burnt smell = slow death to your clutch. IMHO the OEM clutch just isn't strong enough to survive the track or strip for long. No rush to replace it, just realize that when you smell burnt clutch, that's disc material being smoked, plan on a replacement sometime in the not too distant future.

Find a fluid for higher temps first, that will help the slave. My slave also failed around 30k miles, seals failed. Cheap part, replaced it myself since it bolted to the outside of the case, easy fix. Not so sure about late models.

My last OEM clutch after a lot of hard use, smoked by <35k miles:

Old 06-28-2008, 03:10 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
The 07's have a slave cylinder recall. You should get it done.

If it keeps happening, upgrade to a stainless steel clutch line and flush it out with some dot4 fluid. These two things will fix your issue.
That should help. The stock line is pretty basic.

Also check the routing, mine has lame heat shielding material on the line and it runs right by the driver's side cat, almost touching. I moved it back away further from the cat.

You can see why it gets so hot in this pic on my '04, which is the same routing as my '03 Z:

Old 06-28-2008, 03:15 PM
SteveZ

alright i think im going to give it a try but the thing is could i get them to give me a new clutch becuase of a messed up part . becuase that burnt clutch smelled really really really bad and one my friends was like are you shifting right and im like HELL YA i am lol it not me lol.
Another forum member recently did get 100% comp for his replacement clutch due to a "defective MC" - what was exactly wrong with it, I don't know for sure.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ylinder+defect

or you could pm drdisco directly and ask for some details. The slave on yours also has a TSB if not a recall, not sure. When mine was hot like that, it slipped a bit more, too, you could feel it.