Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NO START..... part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:43 PM
TurboSam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO START..... part 2.

ok, so, i started a new thread b/c the problem isnt as expected. to recap, here is what i have.

04 Enthusiast

GREeddy TT, UTEC, Walbro

car is untuned but has been driveable, and has approx 1400 miles since turbo install, and 200 miles since walbro.

last week as i pulled into my parent driveway, driven there under normal conditions, no abuse (car has seen WOT only on a few occasions, all of which were well prior to this problem)....... well as i got into the drive, i my engine began to miss, then died. i figured it was the plugs b/c it been running crazy rich, could have easily fouled them. i pulled the plugs, they didnt look bad, but they didn't look exactly good either.

plugs changed (LFR6A-11), still no start, car kinds half fires and will somewhat idle on just a few cylinders. pulled plugs on Bank 1 (passenger side), non of which looked they had fired at all (no darkness on ceramic near electrode, no signs on combustion) so i assumed i was getting no fire on Bank 1.

that was my mistake.

first i bypassed the UTEC to make sure it wasnt a UTEC issue, so thats what makes me think nothing aftermarket is my problem, and to treat this like a standard no start condition..so i went thru the full diagnosis procedure on a no spark condition. broke out the multimeter checking voltages, resistances, and continuity..... everything checked out, and i almost pulled my hair out.

today i decide, lets start this again from step one, no assumptions.

first thing i do is break out the handy ST-125 spark tester. then i realized i had to modify the damn thing to work with the coil packs..... ok, so, now im all set. check spark on plugs 1,2,3, and 5 (didnt check 4 and 6 b/c they are hardest to get to, but i was pretty certain on my info at this point), all have spark.... good.

ok, at this point i ran out of time on my Z cause i had to pull the transmission out of my CRX.

so, looking for suggestions on things they may go out first. since i just put the walbro in like 2 weeks ago, thats where i am going to start. i did do the swirl jet mod and drill out the FPR in the pump assembly, so im hoping i didnt f*ck something up there. i have to find my fuel pressure gauge to check to make sure i have proper fuel pressure. if no one has good suggestions on what to check first, ill just go thru the procedures for fuel just as i did with ignition. but any help in the right direction is always nice.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 PM
TurboSam

also, just went through my service manual. doesnt appear to be a diag section for fuels, so does anyone know if there is a fitting on the rail to test fuel pressure, and if so, what it should be when the pump primes prior to startup?
Old 07-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

*bookmarking thread*

I'll come back and update if I find out anything.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:17 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to hear a Walboro prime your fuel system when you put your key in the on position.

On another note. Driving 1400 miles w/o a tune is not smart @ all.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:23 AM
TurboSam

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
You should be able to hear a Walboro prime your fuel system when you put your key in the on position.

On another note. Driving 1400 miles w/o a tune is not smart @ all.
walbro does prime, i can hear it.

it wasnt tuned for my car, but it has a base tune. i had it on a local dyno here in town right after the install to check a/f ratios. its just ran really rich, like 9:1 at WOT, but like 12:1~13:1 on part throttle, which was what 90% of those miles were done at. EDIT: also, im currently only running 4psi just to make sure the car stays mostly happy.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Still not good.

If you can hear your pump it's likely working fine. Also, you completely changed your tune by drilling out your FPR and adding a Walboro
Old 07-03-2008, 05:39 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

exactly....
Old 07-03-2008, 05:43 AM
TurboSam

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
exactly....
thanks for the informative post!

i've had a few complications trying to get it tuned, but like i said, i was certain to have my a/f's etc checked prior to driving it. and the car has not been abused.

so, how about instead of telling me im an idiot for driving untuned b/c you read on the forum somewhere about how its bad to drive on a dirty tune, and offer up some possible suggestions. i for one, would like to know if there is a fitting somewhere that lets me check my fuel pressure, since i cant seem to find it in the service manual
Old 07-03-2008, 05:55 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

dude, you pay big money for TT and all the goodies and dont do what's required (tuning - ensuring the reliablitly of your build)......and wonder why your in a situation like this...

we see post like this all the time on here......."oh hey, i spent 6 grand and installed the kit myself, but now the engine blew - what do i do?"

best advice you can get right now is take it to a shop that knows what they are doing with a car with your set up and hope its nothing major...

like you said yourself, you probably screwed something up...

-j

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 07-03-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:58 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

i mean seriously, from the FI Z world, what kind of response were you expecting...

tuning safely ensures the quality of build and ensures the life of the engine with said tuning, if something was done wrong, you would know it right then and there...with a stationary car on a dyno with the computers and experts knowing exactly whats going wrong....rich, lean, voltage, ecu working, air leak from intercooler coupling not on correctly......ton's of things.

do you know whats wrong with your car!!?!? NO!

-j
Old 07-03-2008, 06:02 AM
TurboSam

OR, its entirely possible its driveability issue.....

i knew i shouldnt have asked on here, asking for help on a forum is generally pointless, cause everyone draws there own assumptions.

whatever, i really just had one question, and thats if there is a fitting where i can put on a fuel pressure gauge to check for enough pressure.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:19 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

The fitting is near the back left corner of the plenum. You'll see what looks like another FPR there. You have to remove that (2 bolts) and you can check FP from the pump there. I'm betting it's gonna be pretty high.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:23 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are making assumptions in your trouble shooting, asking us for help, and then not following our suggestions or making more assumptions.

So now you are assuming there is spark on 4 and 6...after you said that you werent going to make anymore assumptions.

The engine is very simple. It needs 3 things to start up and run....air, spark, and fuel (at the right pressure). Abscent something really really obvious, like an unplugged MAF sensor, I always start with the basics. Put the service manual aside for a moment, and go back to the basic.

Ditch the UTEC, pull ALL of the spark plugs out of their holes, and pull the fuel pump fuse. Attached the coil packs, and one by one...ground the SP's, and crank the engine. Have an assistant look for spark.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:45 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ see that...words from a pro...
Old 07-03-2008, 02:42 PM
TurboSam

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Ditch the UTEC, pull ALL of the spark plugs out of their holes, and pull the fuel pump fuse. Attached the coil packs, and one by one...ground the SP's, and crank the engine. Have an assistant look for spark.
i also said i wasnt running the UTEC anyways, either way, i found the problem car runs fine now.

the problem seems to have nothing to do with the UTEC, the larger injectors, the turbos, or the fuel pump (well, possbile the basket, but not the pump)

turns out, it wasnt a delivery problem, but rather, and indication problem. when the car died, started to miss and half run, i immediately thought driveablilty problem, as would anyone who has spent anytime in tech school or as a dealer tech (as i have, Jason).

so today, i went and grabbed my fuel tester and started. tested pressure at the line, most it read was 10psi. then i went and tested pressure at the pump, to see if there was line blockage.... 10psi max. so i pulled the pump to make sure nothing came loose. got the pump out and guess what i saw.... nothing.... as in no f*cking gas. so i think "did i miss something, di i just not pay attention???" so i plug everything back up, turn on the key, yep, just as i thought, gauge reads over half a tank........

yea, my gas guage is broken. the car ran out of gas, but told me i had gas..... i swear these cars have minds of their own and just like to F with our heads
Old 07-03-2008, 03:01 PM
coachk
Banned

I know that you have been pulling your hair out trying to figure this out, but thats some funny $hit right there.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:03 PM
TurboSam

its bitter sweet for sure. happy b/c it turned out to be an easy fix (well, so far, i havent messed with fixing the gas gauge yet), but pissed off i spent all this time for diag just to find out the damn gas gauge is fuxed and i ran it out of gas.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:35 PM
z2g

Glad you figured out the problem, now go get a tune asap
Old 07-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Hoooper

lol. that has happened to me before. it was easier cause it was carb'd car and the first thing i did was look down the carb and pull the throttle...uhhh, no gas! but still really frustrating to find out your empty, then see the stupid f'ing gauge saying 1/2 tank
Old 07-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

btw Sam, the FI guys in here are brutal. Only toss yourself in the ring unsecured if you want to be lit up.

It is hilarious to sit back and watch them tear people apart though.

Glad you got that figured out finally. Doug messaged me earlier for a trip to the Dragon sometime next month. Get that thing tuned and let's have fun.

Quick Reply: NO START..... part 2.