Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

spark plug problem? idle rough

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:33 AM
mestisoZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spark plug problem? idle rough

hey guys i just installed my new spark plugs i used ngk PLFR5A - 11 plugs. and i didnt move the plenum or intake duct. i just got to the coil packs from the side. anyways when i start the car now i get a rough idle. almost like the cars camming? the plugs are pre gapped? but ima be checking them again to make sure. anyone have any advice on this problem thanks?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:55 PM
AJ24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help!!!

Originally Posted by mestisoZ
hey guys i just installed my new spark plugs i used ngk PLFR5A - 11 plugs. and i didnt move the plenum or intake duct. i just got to the coil packs from the side. anyways when i start the car now i get a rough idle. almost like the cars camming? the plugs are pre gapped? but ima be checking them again to make sure. anyone have any advice on this problem thanks?
I am having the same problem ....I changed the plugs and now I have a miss on the drivers side bank. I pulled all the plugs out and found #2 was missing and that plug was covered in fuel. all other plugs were clean. I replaced with a new plug and restarted...Then #4 started missing....I repeated tha same process ....then # 6 started missing ....I traced all my steps all the pugs are secure and al wires look good! Im stumped....

Here is a few of my mods
Greddy tt
E-manage
AAM basic fuel system
AAM 3in Dual exhaust

Anybody elce had this problem?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 AM
lowtempo

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure you put the coil pack on right plugs... if you didnt mark them there is a possibility that you could have put them on the wrong plugs...... the left side tricky.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Gingervitis526

bumping this to the top, I have the rough idle as well, it actually almost stalled out on me when i gave it some gas(rpms went up then went way down). My question is can I drive it with out doing any damage? I have an Advance Auto like 3 miles down the road that can check my CEL, or would they ever let me borrow the scanner?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

wow sounds like you all have your coil pack plugs swapped around the wrong way.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Gingervitis526

Originally Posted by Jarred@Z1
wow sounds like you all have your coil pack plugs swapped around the wrong way.
In all honesty I hope thats all it is, I dont feel like dropping $100 on a new coil pack... still didnt get my question answered, can i drive with one(maybe 2 misfires)? I just wanna get the CEL checked out
Old 11-11-2008, 06:08 PM
BiGGD198

yeah most likely sounds to me like you coil pack plugs might be swapped. ill take a picture of my plugs and wires since i have an SSV, and its alot easier noticing the cables since plenum doesnt cover most of motor. if ya wait til tomorrow afternoon, ill get you those pictures.

Dan
Old 11-12-2008, 03:59 AM
Gingervitis526

that would be much appreciated man!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:06 PM
BiGGD198

hey dude....im sorry i couldntt get the pictures today...was a little busy with school and like most of guys who are in a relationship, the female bitched that i havnt been spending much time with her.... so i had to spend the day with her to make her happy. i get out of class at 3pm EST tomorrow so ill come straight home and take those pictures, cuz i know its urgent and very necessary.

sorry for the inconvenience,
Dan
Old 11-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Gingervitis526

Originally Posted by BiGGD198
hey dude....im sorry i couldntt get the pictures today...was a little busy with school and like most of guys who are in a relationship, the female bitched that i havnt been spending much time with her.... so i had to spend the day with her to make her happy. i get out of class at 3pm EST tomorrow so ill come straight home and take those pictures, cuz i know its urgent and very necessary.

sorry for the inconvenience,
Dan
Dont worry about it man, I got it right. Basically what it boils down to is I am dumb haha. I mixed up the coil pack for 4 and 6. I was cocky I guess and felt I didnt need to look at the number on the wire for the coil and just threw em back in cuz it was starting to get dark. IMO it was kind of a easy mistake because if you look at where the coil wire goes into the main harness around the top of the engine 2 and 6 go into the same spot while 4 is way back near the 6th cylinder. Everything is good now though and I really appreciate your urgency, I absolutely needed the car for a date Friday night(fukcing women).
Lessons learned: 1)Mark anything you unplug from the engine. 2)Dont start a project you may not be able to finish by nightfall. 3) Change plugs one by one so you really wouldnt even need to mark the coil pack.
Me=
The following users liked this post:
Rani Garner (06-14-2022)
Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 AM
LSX-PWR

I just replaced all of mine with NGK's -11 but I swapped a plug at a time. The car has 140,000 miles and it seems that the plugs were only changed once in its lift time if at all. It did have a NGK but the electro was missing, making the gap .086. Even with the gap that big I am surprised the car ran the way that it did. Now with the new plugs in she is running much smother.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:22 PM
BiGGD198

haha yeah no problem gingervitus....yeah i couldnt even take pictures today cuz its raining in NJ. =/ but im gladd you figured it out...i knew it was something simple.

Dan