Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Hollllly Shi*!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:47 AM
keyto123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R-TuneZ
did your intake have one of these bad boys on it?

this is a bypass valve that comes on the nismo and aem cai's. i am trying to confirm whether or not you had one in order to determine whether it is able to withstand a splash of water or not... it will be between the filter element and the MAF.
no it didn't have one of those its a piece of **** looking red one just goes tube to flange to tube to filter the flange connects it to the part after the curve
Old 07-18-2008, 09:20 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Too bad you don't have a RevUp engine. I'm taking out a perfectly good '05 RevUp with 25k miles and no oil burning. (Actually the Performance Factory is taking it out.)
Old 07-18-2008, 10:14 PM
tribal_visionz

i dont think this guy really cares, id be depressed. he seems fine blowing thousands of dollars on a problem that could be something simple as checking fluids or cleaning out a part. siigh, ban.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:38 PM
06dieselZ

This guy has no idea what kind of CAI he has, yet he want's to drop a motor in himself?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:24 AM
R-TuneZ

Originally Posted by 06dieselZ
This guy has no idea what kind of CAI he has, yet he want's to drop a motor in himself?
i think he was saying that is some generic ebay intake, hence the lack of the bypass valve or any sort of logo. but i mean, engine swaps are no easy task, nor are they for the beginner.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:29 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keyto123
so apparently an aftermarket cold air intake + a puddle of water = death of a 12000 dollar motor. so i got a call from my mom saying that the cars making funny noises going the whole way to red line and not doing anything the first thing i told her is shut the damn car off NOW!! so she does and leaves it on the Courtney cambel causeway our tow truck came an took it to lokey Nissan they tell me basically I'm fuc*ed and now i have to pay 12000 for a new motor

*UPDATE* i just talked to my insurance to take a blind shot at trying to get the price lower and they said according to the claim i can claim it as comprehensive coverage for a road hazard.

*UPDATE*GOD DAMNIT mom just said we donot have comp FUC* ME
Time to Call Sam or Sharif for a built motor!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:56 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

by ebay products. If u can afford a new Z maybe u couldv saved and bought sumthin brand name
Old 07-20-2008, 05:41 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keyto123
I'm currently looking for a crate motor maby a swap out they sent me pics(my parents)of the block cracked so this motor is fuc*ed and now i need a new one so i got 8000 cash in hand who do you know that i can get a decent built motor for 8 that i can put in myself
You can get an Import Parts Pro Stage 1 short block for $2600 + $750 core charge (since your block is cracked) + shipping (Approx $170)

http://www.importpartspro.com/st1blon.html

So your looking at roughly $3520, plus you'll need a new gasket kit, head gaskets, etc.

Stage 1 Longblock start at around $4400 + $1500 core charge + shipping.

http://www.importpartspro.com/st1vqloblni3.html
Old 07-20-2008, 08:41 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
by ebay products. If u can afford a new Z maybe u couldv saved and bought sumthin brand name
I'm tired of people bashing on parts that are not big brand names. No matter what brand the CAI he had all they are is a damn tube with a filter on it, it would of done the SAME EXACT THING. Unless he had a bypass valve, which he can put on the eBay one also! If it is even the CAI that caused the problem...
Old 07-21-2008, 07:25 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12k for a stock vq? thats how much a brand new z06 ls7 goes for, and its handbuilt
Old 07-21-2008, 07:28 PM
bbs350z

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
I'm tired of people bashing on parts that are not big brand names. No matter what brand the CAI he had all they are is a damn tube with a filter on it, it would of done the SAME EXACT THING. Unless he had a bypass valve, which he can put on the eBay one also! If it is even the CAI that caused the problem...

not true. brand name companies have a name to uphold, therefor using better quality filters, and piping that keeps heat out better than a cheap ebay part ever would. theres a reason quality costs money, and its because of r&d, and the extensive time and research put into it. they are not the same
Old 07-21-2008, 09:46 PM
R-TuneZ

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
not true. brand name companies have a name to uphold, therefor using better quality filters, and piping that keeps heat out better than a cheap ebay part ever would. theres a reason quality costs money, and its because of r&d, and the extensive time and research put into it. they are not the same
+1, smart man.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:09 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
You can get an Import Parts Pro Stage 1 short block for $2600 + $750 core charge (since your block is cracked) + shipping (Approx $170)

http://www.importpartspro.com/st1blon.html

So your looking at roughly $3520, plus you'll need a new gasket kit, head gaskets, etc.

Stage 1 Longblock start at around $4400 + $1500 core charge + shipping.

http://www.importpartspro.com/st1vqloblni3.html
Probably need a long block , when you hydro lock a motor you bend valves, rods and sometimes really screw the head up. You can also crack cams.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:10 AM
jdhuegel1

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
We're talking about sucking up water here... in case that was missed. Therefore, end result would in fact be the same.

And lets be serious for a minute... wouldn't R&D result in parts that actually produce gains? Intakes don't do crap - how much R&D can that take?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:26 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

OUCH that sucks...like a few others have mentioned, call JT @ Performance Factory...and go big or go home!
Old 07-22-2008, 03:31 PM
R-TuneZ

Originally Posted by jdhuegel1
We're talking about sucking up water here... in case that was missed. Therefore, end result would in fact be the same.

And lets be serious for a minute... wouldn't R&D result in parts that actually produce gains? Intakes don't do crap - how much R&D can that take?
well if we were sure that the OP sucked up water, then the quality of the intake would def be in question. if he had a Nismo or AEM intake, he would have also had a bypass valve, which would have prevented this entire mess (unless this is not a case of hydrolocking).

secondly, r&d is important. for example... the pop charger. if you read up about it you will learn that it is prone to heat soak and will actually reduce engine performance because of the increased intake charge temp. i would call that a lack of r&d. you could argue that most intakes are prone to heat soak but my nismo cai maintains lower then ambient temperatures throughout the components.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:34 PM
BaTMan_4

^ you and your Nismo intake. yes it might avoid heat soak but the tubing is so long that the engine does not provide enough "suction" that the Nismo intake actually loses power (provided i have internet tomorrow because of the damn hurricane i will show you that article i referred to in the other thread). Then i've had 2 friends that thought that a bypass valve would save the car from hydrolock (both AEM intakes which is the same deal as Nismo).....pffft please its just a selling point which does absolutely nothing. They now drive with JWT and Injen SRi mode.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 PM
BaTMan_4

OP are you sure it was just a "puddle" of water because for a hydrolock the filter needs to be somewhat submerged and some throttle to get in the engine....esp with a CAI. from what i read seems like your mom did this....and well lets say IMO moms tend to downgrade the problem...as in my mom think a little scratch on my rim equals a 6in curb rash that sticks out like a sore thumb. GL, my 2 friends that dealt with this fortunately where able to get Nissan to fix everything under warranty....lucky SOB's
Old 07-22-2008, 09:53 PM
norapat01

damn, sorry to hear dude. If you have full coverage insurance it should cover. Anyway, it is a good opportunity to get a nice motor to replace the VQ. You can get...

- VQ rev-up version
- LS1 or 2...some guy on this forum did it
- VG30DETT engine from a TT 300ZX
- .......don't know whatelse
Old 07-22-2008, 09:56 PM
R-TuneZ

Originally Posted by BaTMan_4
^ you and your Nismo intake. yes it might avoid heat soak but the tubing is so long that the engine does not provide enough "suction" that the Nismo intake actually loses power (provided i have internet tomorrow because of the damn hurricane i will show you that article i referred to in the other thread). Then i've had 2 friends that thought that a bypass valve would save the car from hydrolock (both AEM intakes which is the same deal as Nismo).....pffft please its just a selling point which does absolutely nothing. They now drive with JWT and Injen SRi mode.
you are absolutely right, i have lost a noticeable amount of low-end torque. my current issue is supplementing the CAI with other breathing modifications, headers, exhaust, and spacer...maybe test pipes but ill probably go with high flow cats in order to leave less of a footprint on the environment. the issue with any breathing mods is that you do lose low-end torque, but with the advantage of gaining high-end power. if you are talking about dyno runs, then yea i will pull less hp with my current setup than if i were to be running a stock intake, due to the low end loss of torque and being that dyno numbers are taken from the torque output relative to time. using these mods is detrimental if you are trying to maintain a well-rounded daily driver, but in situations where you maintain your rpms high, such as tracking, these modifications will aid your overall time. as far as the bypass valve... i have NO idea under what circumstances they are truly effective. i have asked many members posting about hydrolocking situations the circumstances of their mishap, in order to draw some sort of conclusion. if you look on the first page, i referenced the OP to a bypass valve test. the designer of the valve dipped the filter of his NSX engine into a water tank (simulating submersion) without hydrolocking. frankly, i do not believe that the bypass valve is some huge marketing scheme to increase sales volume of CAI's. furthermore, the physics of the matter leads me to believe that water ingestion is more difficult when applying a bypass valve. i am concerned about the ingestion of water into my engine, and if you are able to source some sort of information regarding the failure of a bypass valve resulting in hydrolocking, then please post.

or maybe i am just an undercover nismo representative...

Quick Reply: Hollllly Shi*!!!!