Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Transmission weak point???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 02:09 PM
nonmature

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission weak point???

Well I think we have all have heard that somebody has taken in(or have taken yourself) the Z because of a failed transmission

what is the actually weak point in the transmission??? I hear a lot of talk about syncros goin bad, but I have heard different as well...

I havent seen anything on the board that has actually talked about whats goin on so I thought it would be nice to have one

-non

I find it hard to believe that it can take 150 hp nitrous shot but has trouble with daily driving....????
Old 08-18-2003, 07:07 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

I believe it's a combination of things.....synchros composed of brittle metals, poor lubrication, and as others have suggested, a flywheel that's too heavy........i just received my warranty tranny today.........so far, so good........it feels waaaaay different than my old one.......the gears are silky, as opposed to notchy.......the clutch feels different too.....i had them replace that while they were in there.......my clutch now feels so soft that a baby could press the pedal in, very different from my old stiff one........it also engages/disengages closer to the floor........feels kinda like a luxury car now
Old 08-18-2003, 07:58 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
I believe it's a combination of things.....synchros composed of brittle metals, poor lubrication, and as others have suggested, a flywheel that's too heavy........i just received my warranty tranny today.........so far, so good........it feels waaaaay different than my old one.......the gears are silky, as opposed to notchy.......the clutch feels different too.....i had them replace that while they were in there.......my clutch now feels so soft that a baby could press the pedal in, very different from my old stiff one........it also engages/disengages closer to the floor........feels kinda like a luxury car now
Now I want a replacement tranny... sounds so good...
Old 08-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Z33@TOR

u have to have somekind of tranny problems in order to get a replacement rite?
Old 08-18-2003, 08:43 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Yeah.....i had the ever-popular 3rd gear grind
Old 08-18-2003, 10:52 PM
nonmature

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
Yeah.....i had the ever-popular 3rd gear grind
thats all? jeez if thats all it takes I'll take mine in as soon as I get it back from the shop...

-non

also I have recently hooked up with a company called evolution industries... they have my car right now and are seing what they can do to lighten the drive train... they also can make syncros, so maybe I'll see if I can swindle them out of a set and see if it will help...

Last edited by nonmature; 08-18-2003 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:36 AM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sigh] I'm annoyed with my tranny. Sometimes (most of the time really) it hurts to shift into gear because it feels "stuck" trying to get it in and it slightly "rattles" as it gets in. My wrist starts to hurt when that happens. It's like playing tennis without that piece to stop the vibration from hurting the wrist.

Sometimes the clutch doesn't disengage as quickly as I thought so I grind when I downshift. It seems I have to floor the clutch everytime I want to shift... but I have to take my time because I have to make sure the clutch pedal is on the floor prior to shifting at all. Even when pedal is on the floor, getting into any gear isn't as smooth.

I drove the S2k, and the tranny is like a dream. Just slide into gear, and the clutch pedal doesn't even have to go all the way down for it to disengage. After shifting, the gear engages quickly and smoothly when the clutch pedal is released. When I hear my friend drive, he shifts so fast it felt like an auto tranny changing gears.

In my Z, it's much slower because of difficulty engaging into gear.

It's even worst when racing because my times are horrible when I get locked out of 2nd even when the clutch pedal is down. If I do things slower, then it gets in fine. As a result, I get mid 15-16s. My friend gets low 15s on his S2k.

So when getting new tranny, is the clutch changed out as well? Anything else gets changed?
Old 08-19-2003, 12:34 PM
John

So when getting new tranny, is the clutch changed out as well? Anything else gets changed?
No, only the tranny is replaced. Early Z's had a problem with a 3rd gear synchro prematurely crapping out. The later design is better, but I have a feeling that down the road the 2nd and 5th gear synchro will start grinding...

As for clutch feel, you should be able to adjust the engagement point of the clutch. Look in the FSM about how to adjust the pedal, it's in there somewhere.

I'd also like to note that drag racing will beat the crap out of your tranny much more than other types of racing. There's no need to force the car into gear, doing that will only welcome more problems down the road.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:43 PM
EgH

Yeah I agree the Honda trannys are better. My 6 speed CLS was pure butter. It would be eaiser to drive the car fast if the gears wouls shift like that.....but that's okay we've got TONS more power so the notchy tranny balances it out...
Old 08-19-2003, 01:12 PM
stx

I don't know about everyone else but this is my second 350Z. My first had three trannies and they never could get it right so I got another one. My first 350's original tranny lasted 2500 miles and then the others only last about 500 to 1000 miles before that started to fail. One thing I noticed different in my new 350 is that the clutch disengages and engages at the same spot all the time. In my first 350 the clutch engage and disengage points were always different. One day it was to the floor and other days it was high. I don't know if that had anything to do with it but they never checked into that.

I would have to agree though that this tranny is the weak spot on the Z.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:56 PM
EgH

Yeah I agree the Honda trannys are better. My 6 speed CLS was pure butter. It would be eaiser to drive the car fast if the gears wouls shift like that.....but that's okay we've got TONS more power so the notchy tranny balances it out...
Old 08-19-2003, 07:24 PM
DIGItonium

Hmm.. that's a strange double post tha occured at different times?

Anyhow... I've been grinding alot these days. Maybe it's myself getting lazy... but I don't have a clue what's going on. I experienced a nasty 1st gear grind today. It was horrible! I hate going from 2nd, then to 1st realizing the car up front is not speeding up as much as I hoped (light turns green while slowing down... then car up front starts moving but then stops as I go to 2nd, so I had to go back to neutral.... car moves again... i go back to 1st) GAWD I HATE IT WHEN THIS HAPPENS!