Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Extremely Stiff Clutch, What's the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:58 AM
burner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely Stiff Clutch, What's the problem?

Hey all. After extensive searching, I cannot find a definitive answer to my question, so here goes. I have an 03 Z with 58k on it. My clutch is extremely stiff, and you cannot feel it engage when pressing it down. It has been this way since I bought the car used (about 38k on it when I bought it) and I thought it was supposed to be like that seeing as how it was a sports car. I recently have driven several other Z's and their clutches feel completely different (much easier to press, you can feel the clutch engage). The thing is, I have had my car for two years now and it has been like that since I have owned the car, and has never given me any trouble. My friends with Z's seem to think I have an aftermarket clutch, but I contacted the original owner and they informed me that it was never replaced. Nissan wanted $96 just to look at it. The mechanic told me, without actually sitting in the car, that it is probably a "characteristic" of the car. It functions perfectly and has for two years now, it is just really freakin stiff, and you can't tell when the clutch actually engages. Is there an adjustment for tension?

On the bright side, none of my friends can drive my car because the clutch feels so much different. I have gotten used to it now so it doesn't bother me all that much, I just want to know why it doesn't feel like the other 10+ Z's that I have sat in.

Someone told me the stiff clutch is a sign that it is going out, but like I said above, it has been like that for two years of hard driving (even some occasional track and drag use as well). Any advice/ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

its really hard to tell without actually driving your car.. but mine is pretty stiff too! I think the 03-04? or 05.. have really stiff clutches. The 06's are different.I think.. My buddy has an 06 and it is much softer. I am really used to it so I dont really notice it. But when I sit at my girls Honda Si.. the clutch feels like butter.

To be honest I like it the way it is. Too soft, just doesnt do it for me. I also have the D-wolf kit.. and it engages very fast.

Hopefully someone else can help ya out
Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm use to it as well. Whenever I'm in another manual car it's like, "Oh wtf? where is the clutch?!?"

If it's any consolation, both legs will get the same workout.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 AM
t0mills

The clutch pedal in my 03 Z is pretty stiff too. I bought the car used, from a reputable dealership, and the car was bone stock. I thought it was normal.

However, last weekend I removed the transmission to replace the clutch fork pivot stud, and that's when I found out the car has an ACT clutch and flywheel installed.

Put the car on a lift, and pull back the rubber boot that surrounds the clutch fork. You should be able to shine a light in there and see the pressure plate. In my case, it was easy to see that it wasn't stock, because the thing is bright yellow, however, it could be a different color for you (if it's even aftermarket).

If it is indeed the stock clutch, you may just have a really strong pressure plate.

-Tim
Old 11-25-2008, 08:22 AM
burner

Thanks for the insight guys. I might have to check out the clutch this weekend and see if maybe it is an aftermarket. I swear my left leg is bigger than my right as I drive in traffic frequently, and that clutch is a workout!

Last edited by burner; 11-25-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:23 PM
terps

stiff clutch on 350z? common there light unless your talking about a cavalier or something
Old 11-26-2008, 05:48 AM
burner

Originally Posted by terps
stiff clutch on 350z? common there light unless your talking about a cavalier or something
That's the thing...when I jump in my buddies Z, the clutch feels like I am driving a 93 Civic hatchback!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

03's and early 04's have significantly stiffer pedals than all later models
Old 11-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Deleted: double post
Old 11-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by burner
I have an 03 Z with 58k on it. My clutch is extremely stiff, and you cannot feel it engage when pressing it down.
I'm assuming that previous's owner put an aftermarket lite flywheels/clutch.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:20 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

I agree with some of the other posts here. My pre-order '03 Z also has a strong return on the clutch. I don't worry about it much, because the engagement is positive and works well. My current clutch and flywheel are stock, so I know it's not aftermarket. No binding on the slave cylinder, I just figure it's a MANLY clutch!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:12 PM
ja_Z_on

Hi, I have a 2004 350z and the clutch is very stiff too. If you do your research, you will find that the clutch on 2003 and 2004 350Z models is very stiff. In 2005, the clutch was made much softer because poser people couldnt handle the stiff clutch. All Z cars 2005 to present have soft light clutches. So i wouldnt worry to much. Mine is like driving and old Mustang
5.0. If your clutch was going bad, it would bind up and would have burned up a long time ago.

I hope i was of some help

Stiff clutch is for REAL drivers.

Tell your friends that hahahah.

enjoy your Z
Old 11-26-2008, 06:20 PM
shift-er

I have an 03 and it is still stock clutch/fly.

Same scenario......

I like it.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:28 PM
ja_Z_on

yeah i love the heavy feel to the clutch on these older models. Its a shame they softened it so much on the newer ones=(

Originally Posted by shift-er
I have an 03 and it is still stock clutch/fly.

Same scenario......

I like it.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:28 AM
island03z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ja_Z_on
Stiff clutch is for REAL drivers.

Tell your friends that hahahah.

enjoy your Z
Not sure you know what you're talking about... The other Z's hes referring to is me and my room mates cars and we both have early 04's and we have a lot of time on road courses. I've driven many cars with stiffer clutches from my buddies bored and stroked s2000 to my old turbo eclipse, both with stiffer ACT clutches , on the track, not to mention I can handle the clutches on a ford GT and 997 911 turbo. If you'd like to talk to a real driver sometime, give me a shout, he's looking for an answer, not some 16 year old kid bullsh!t.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure something on Burners tranny is aftermarket because it feels no where near stock. Engagement point is very grabby and pedal feel is a notch less stiff than my buddies s2k. We'll check it out one of these days when we've got it up in the air.

Last edited by island03z; 11-27-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:21 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

My 03 was stiff as hell, now a JWT setup and its freaking great.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 AM
airsoftluver

i test drove a few 03 and 04's and the clutches on those suckers were really stiff. Got in an 06(mine) and the clutch felt fine. It wasnt as easy as my honda nor BMW but it sure wasnt as stiff as the older Zs....
Old 12-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Frequency 3.5.0

Originally Posted by t0mills
The clutch pedal in my 03 Z is pretty stiff too. I bought the car used, from a reputable dealership, and the car was bone stock. I thought it was normal.

However, last weekend I removed the transmission to replace the clutch fork pivot stud, and that's when I found out the car has an ACT clutch and flywheel installed.

-Tim
before you found out, how did you like the engagement point and the way it grabs/holds?

I have an 03, bought used for an year, and like many others with a stiffy pedal... ever since the 1st day, it has very high and short engagement point, doesn't grab well at all, jerks when let go the gas in 1st and 2nd, and many times the whole cars shudders as the clutch engages in 1st from dead stop...

all these confuse me whether my clutch is stock or not... I already bought a street ACT kit and flywheel... I really hope the one currently sitting in my Z isn't the same setup as I bought, I'd be really screwed... but then, even for an aftermarket such ACT shouldn't perform as bad as I described above right?