Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Solid Lifters..should i buy them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Sharif..........go with the Supertechs if you change out the lifters. They are a great product....and I am pretty sure they have a DLC on the lifter friction surface.

I am pretty sure they are not "billet" lifter though. I could be wrong, but they aren't machined from billet slugs.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 AM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
last I checked, they "lift" the valve off the the valve seat. That's why NIssan calls them lifters. You are right though. normally, you would think of lifting as an upward motion. ..........but, the correct term is "lifter."
my dissagreement is not just with the op but nissan as well.in a traditional push rod design,the camshaft "lifts" the lifter and changes direction at the rocker to "push" the valve open.there is no lifting going on,if anything it "pushes" the valve off the seat.the definition of lift and push are very clear on this matter.the fact that they dumb down the names of internal parts to help the uninitiated understand is not an acceptable reason for defying logic.if you look you can see that their incorrect labeling of this part only confuses some even more,considering his mind went right to a "hydraulic to solid" question and was being sold nail soup on this premise.i understand your point as to what the book say's but that does not make it right or common within overhead camshaft nomenclature.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:12 AM
go-fast
Banned

I agree with Sharif..........go with the Supertechs if you change out the lifters. They are a great product....and I am pretty sure they have a DLC on the lifter friction surface.

I am pretty sure they are not "billet" lifter though. I could be wrong, but they aren't machined from billet slugs.
i haven't held one in my hands but more than likely they are hardfaced just like o.e.,which makes them comparable to o.e.in all aspects(unless their propietary process is superior to nissan....unlikely)
Old 12-08-2008, 07:00 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by go-fast
i haven't held one in my hands but more than likely they are hardfaced just like o.e.,which makes them comparable to o.e.in all aspects(unless their propietary process is superior to nissan....unlikely)
what I like about the supertechs is the ability to buy a single part number for the lifter......and then buy shims to adjust for lash. buying lash caps is alot cheaper than buying new lifters everytime youe change your head setup.

When I had my heads ported and valve seats ground, I had them set up the valve stem height so that I can use the same size lifter for all the valves.......of course, this is assuming that the cam lobe base circle is the same at each valve. I may have to buy a few different lifters, but the majority will all use the exact same lifter thickness.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:04 AM
go-fast
Banned

what I like about the supertechs is the ability to buy a single part number for the lifter......and then buy shims to adjust for lash. buying lash caps is alot cheaper than buying new lifters everytime youe change your head setup.

When I had my heads ported and valve seats ground, I had them set up the valve stem height so that I can use the same size lifter for all the valves.......of course, this is assuming that the cam lobe base circle is the same at each valve. I may have to buy a few different lifters, but the majority will all use the exact same lifter thickness.
+1 shims under buckets is standard in the bike industry and allows you to adjust without long drawn out factory orders.provided you have an appropiate selection of shims,even if you don't the aftermarket can usually respond quicker than o.e.with lead times,definitely a positive i did not consider.i still am apprehensive about them exceeding nissan hardface quality.for those that have used them,how is side clearance?do they offer depth of hardface specs or base metallurgy details?i would also want to know the hardness of the shims,are they sacrificial or are they so superduper they will eat the stems.just thinking out loud....unfortunately many aftermarkets don't take into account the things that the o.e. must.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:08 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by go-fast
my dissagreement is not just with the op but nissan as well.in a traditional push rod design,the camshaft "lifts" the lifter and changes direction at the rocker to "push" the valve open.there is no lifting going on,if anything it "pushes" the valve off the seat.the definition of lift and push are very clear on this matter.the fact that they dumb down the names of internal parts to help the uninitiated understand is not an acceptable reason for defying logic.if you look you can see that their incorrect labeling of this part only confuses some even more,considering his mind went right to a "hydraulic to solid" question and was being sold nail soup on this premise.i understand your point as to what the book say's but that does not make it right or common within overhead camshaft nomenclature.
+1! good post - Thats exactly what I was trying to relay – I just wasn’t quite as eloquent
Old 01-06-2009, 09:18 AM
tomei_p

so possibly i should need the supertech lifters and their shims...can you give me a link from where i can by them?
thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Nathan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tomei_p
so possibly i should need the supertech lifters and their shims...can you give me a link from where i can by them?
thanks
tomei
I asume you live in Greece. If so you need to get a proficent mechanic to confirm that the noise you hear is indeed excesive valve lash.
If it is, the cams need to be removed & the proceedure outlined in Z1"s post #25 carried out.
If you rev your motor hard or maybe miss a gear occasionally & the motor o"revs, I would not use supertech lifters on the stock VQ valve spring & retainer as the top of the valve stem only protrudes a few mm above the retainer & the shim can dislodge under valve bounce conditions. ( for you doubters I've seen it happen )
Better to order the correct lifters from one of the Nissan parts sponsers on this site.

Last edited by Nathan; 01-06-2009 at 01:50 PM.