Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ECM different in Track/Performance vs Base/enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 05:31 AM
jak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM different in Track/Performance vs Base/enthusiast

I was at the dealer today for an oil change and I was talking to the service manager about the ECM. He claims that the Track and Performance models get a much more sophisticated ECM where as the Base and Enthusiast get a basic ECM.

I don't know if the guy was BSing me or not. We got on this subject because I wanted him to clear the TPS dash light by the fuel gauge. He claims that on the Track and Performance models this can't be done due to the added sophistication of the ECMs.

Do you think this is true or BS?

Jeff
Old 08-26-2003, 05:43 AM
mydogscool

BS
Old 08-26-2003, 06:43 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: ECM different in Track/Performance vs Base/enthusiast

the ECUs for each version of the car are difference in the sense they each have their own specific options but the important thing is that they all running nearly the same core programming.
the only difference is the Automatic Zs, that program is seperate.

your dealer / service personnel is pulling your chain.

Originally posted by jak
I was at the dealer today for an oil change and I was talking to the service manager about the ECM. He claims that the Track and Performance models get a much more sophisticated ECM where as the Base and Enthusiast get a basic ECM.

I don't know if the guy was BSing me or not. We got on this subject because I wanted him to clear the TPS dash light by the fuel gauge. He claims that on the Track and Performance models this can't be done due to the added sophistication of the ECMs.

Do you think this is true or BS?

Jeff
Old 08-26-2003, 07:45 AM
jak

Is there a way to clear the dash light? The dealer says no on the Performance and Track models.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2003, 08:24 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

which dash lite are you referring to?

perhaps you could reset your ECU, that would get rid of certain MIL lights...
Old 08-26-2003, 09:30 AM
jak

Cheston,

It is the TPS warning light below the seat belt light near the fuel gauge. It looks like a flat tire with a + & -.

I talked to the service manager again and he said that the Track and Performance (Touring) models come with an ECU (ECM) with additional programing for the additional electronics such as VDC and TPS.

Does the Technosquare reflash get into those parts of the ECU and could they reprogram the ECU to not look for TPS?

Acording to the service manager reseting the ECU will not help because the ECU is pre programed to look for these additional things and when the ECU doesn't find them a dash light will go off.

Does this make any sense?

Jeff
Old 08-26-2003, 10:02 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

you mean your TPS light is on, but you dont have TCS installed? did you try disengaging it via wiring harness?

i dont think i'm getting the complete story.. sorry... can you explain what happened that you got the TCS light on?
Old 08-26-2003, 10:46 AM
jak

I put on new HRE wheels. The sensors did not fit because of HRE's valve location. I tried banding them in but they fell loose in the tires after about 50 miles so I took them out.

Without the sensors in the wheels the dash light went on (by the fuel gauge) and also the PSI reading in the pod gauge above the stereo flashes continuously along with a warning chime.

I disconected the TPS reciever, which is located by the ECU. This eliminated the flashing and the warning chime of the PSI gauge above the stereo but did not turn off the light in the dash. According to Nissan the ECU is hard programmed to look for the TPS system and if the ECU can not find the system the light on the dash goes on.

Therefore Nissan is saying that each model Z gets an ECU with different programing.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2003, 12:35 PM
D68enny

That would make sense. The ECU's are basically the same, but the performance and track have the PST on them, and the VCD or VDC, so yes there is a little more programming involved in it. The easiest way to turn off the light would be to cut the lead that runs to the light after the ECU. I don't know if that is possible without looking at a wiring diagram, but that would be one of your best bets. It sounds like a pain in the ***.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:56 PM
jak

Originally posted by D68enny
That would make sense. The ECU's are basically the same, but the performance and track have the PST on them, and the VCD or VDC, so yes there is a little more programming involved in it. The easiest way to turn off the light would be to cut the lead that runs to the light after the ECU. I don't know if that is possible without looking at a wiring diagram, but that would be one of your best bets. It sounds like a pain in the ***.
That was what I was thinking had to be done. I was hoping there was an easier way. The other thing I could do is pull the bulb in the dash.

I was thinking of an aftermarket ECU at some point and was hoping that the re-flash Cheston offers would clear the ECU.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2003, 02:20 PM
jak

Cheston,

When TechnoSquare reflashes the ECU my understanding from their website is that only perfromance programing is changed leaving other programing untouched. Is this a correct assumption?

If so, flashing a chip of course erases one program and replaces it with another. Which model Z does the untouched portion of the programing come from? Or are there 3 different flashes that are used for our cars? One for Track/Performance, one for Base/enthusiast, and one for Automatic?

You probably see where I am going with this. If the untouched part of the programing originated from a Track/Performance and combined with the new Techno performance programing and flashed into someones base or enthusiast ECU, wouldn't the newley programed ECU be looking for TPS and VDC since that programing is part of the Track/ Performance?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2003, 02:38 PM
spazpilot

jak

I bought a new set of HRE 540R's and had the same problem in the fronts only. So to fix it from sliping off I added more double side sticky tape on the band to keep it from slipping in the grove. It works great, but i agree with you this tire light is a bunch of BS. I have also been told that some people glue it to the wheel for a more better fix.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:00 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Hey Jeff--

what they do is they alter each ecu's core program... your 'options' such as TPS or TCS (sorry for my confusion. i thought u said TCS) stays in the program because that is in a different part of the source code... they only modify certain values to make those changes... BUT if you have a Base Z, they upload the modified base program. likewise you have a Touring or Track, you'll get the touring or track program... to ensure compatibility, they'll just upload the same version ecu your car has... if you're referring to uploading a Base model Z's program in a Performance Z or something like that, there are no guarantees that it will work, i dont think they've ever tried that... but if you want to 'disable' the TPS, isnt there a fuse you can pull? i forget..

--cheston

Originally posted by jak
Cheston,

When TechnoSquare reflashes the ECU my understanding from their website is that only perfromance programing is changed leaving other programing untouched. Is this a correct assumption?

If so, flashing a chip of course erases one program and replaces it with another. Which model Z does the untouched portion of the programing come from? Or are there 3 different flashes that are used for our cars? One for Track/Performance, one for Base/enthusiast, and one for Automatic?

You probably see where I am going with this. If the untouched part of the programing originated from a Track/Performance and combined with the new Techno performance programing and flashed into someones base or enthusiast ECU, wouldn't the newley programed ECU be looking for TPS and VDC since that programing is part of the Track/ Performance?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2003, 05:47 PM
jak

Thanks Cheston. No fuse. Nissan claims the warning light is controlled by the ECU. So my understanding is that you have to re-program the ECU to not look for TPS or pull the bulb.

I may take you/TechnoSquare up on the ECU this winter when my car is in storage. I just want to make sure it will be compatible with FI. I am waiting for the results of your PE kit or Greddy before I pull the trigger.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2003, 05:56 PM
jak

Originally posted by spazpilot
jak

I bought a new set of HRE 540R's and had the same problem in the fronts only. So to fix it from sliping off I added more double side sticky tape on the band to keep it from slipping in the grove. It works great, but i agree with you this tire light is a bunch of BS. I have also been told that some people glue it to the wheel for a more better fix.
Thanks for the info. I got to thinking after your post that I could use carpet tape which is super sticky on both sides, a strip all the way around the wheel with the band on top holding the sensor. After the band is tight on top of that tape no way will that slip into the groove.

Wow! Thanks again. I am going to try this over the winter when my car goes into storage. It would be great to use the sensors I paid for when I bought the perfrormance model.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2003, 06:18 PM
2003z

oh wow, carpet tape seems like the perfect solution!!!! When I get my tires changed, thats what I'm using!