Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

where can i get colder plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 08:34 PM
redlineRED350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where can i get colder plugs?

Can you guys/girls tell me where can i get 2 degree colder plugs for the 350z at. thanks
Old 08-26-2003, 09:51 PM
jesseenglish

Nippon-Denso makes 2 degree colder Iridium plugs and I believe http://www.superchargersonline.com has them. They won't be on the website though, you'll have to call and talk to Tony about them.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:01 PM
dchi_t

just wonderig, what does 2 degree colder plugs do?

thx
Old 08-26-2003, 10:49 PM
jesseenglish

Copied from sparkplugs.com

The term spark plug heat range refers to the speed with which the plug can transfer heat from the combustion chamber to the engine head. Whether the plug is to be installed in a boat, lawnmower or racecar, it has been found the optimum combustion chamber temperature for gasoline engines is between 500°C–850°C. When it is within that range it is cool enough to avoid pre-ignition and plug tip overheating (which can cause engine damage), while still hot enough to burn off combustion deposits which cause fouling.

The spark plug can help maintain the optimum combustion chamber temperature. The primary method used to do this is by altering the internal length of the core nose, in addition, the alloy compositions in the electrodes can be changed. This means you may not be able to visually tell a difference between heat ranges. When a spark plug is referred to as a “cold plug”, it is one that transfers heat rapidly from the firing tip into the engine head, which keeps the firing tip cooler. A “hot plug” has a much slower rate of heat transfer, which keeps the firing tip hotter.

An unaltered engine will run within the optimum operating range straight from the manufacturer, but if you make modifications such as a turbo, supercharger, increase compression, timing changes, use of alternate racing fuels, or sustained use of nitrous oxide, these can alter the plug tip temperature and may necessitate a colder plug. A rule of thumb is, one heat range colder per modification or one heat range colder for every 75–100hp you increase. In identical spark plug types, the difference from one full heat range to the next is the ability to remove 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber.