Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rogue Engineering Short Shifter - Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 10:26 AM
Zship

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rogue Engineering Short Shifter - Review

Well so you don’t have to read the whole review - This is the way the shifter should have felt when the car came from Nissan.

First off, a few things about the stock shifter. Anyone who has spent time with the 6MT realizes it is pretty vague feeling. It is not very tight, it moves around quite a bit when in gear, and it even rattles at times.

The Roque Engineering Short shifter on the other hand is in a word – PRECISE. The feeling is great. It is very solid, doesn’t rattle or make any noise what so ever and the shift is now short and tight. The effort to shift is marginally more than stock and it also looks completely stock.

With the stock shifter it was very easy to slightly miss the gate when shifting hard and having to move the shifter a little to the left or right to get it to slip into gear. Not so with the RE Short shifter. The travel is short and accurate. The tendency to be slightly off line when entering the next gate is eliminated. It is really hard to miss the gate and you will never be unsure if you are in gear or not.

With the stock shifter it is sometimes hard to tell if you shifted far enough and are all the way into the next gear. The RE Short shifter never let’s you feel this way. It has such a positive click into gear that you never doubt that it is in gear. Also when skipping gears, like when you shift from 6th to 3rd, it is really easy to find the gate. You never doubt which gear you are going into and when it is really all the way into the gear.

Some will ask, “Does it vibrate at all?” Well, yes it does vibrate. It has to because the shifter (and stock shifter) is directly coupled to the transmission via the linkage rods. However, RE has successfully dampened the vibration so it makes no audible noise and feels like it is firmly attached to the tranny instead of somewhat disconnected from everything like the stock shifter. Never is the vibration annoying. It is far better than the factory setup. It the same thing as when you modify your suspension, you get much more positive feed back at the expense of a little cush.

Finally, if you Track or AutoX the car, this is a must have. The feedback and precision is so good, I can’t imagine going back to the stock shifter after spending some time with this one.

For Info contact:
Rogue Engineering
201-444-8150

http://www.rogueengineering.com
Old 09-15-2003, 11:24 AM
DeeZee

great review! how about a price and order info????
Old 09-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great review. And I can't tell you how much I agree with the reviewer on what's wrong with the stock shifter. With all the things this kit improves, in ways I place in high demand, I'll be ordering one as soon as ordering is allowed. Sign me up
Old 09-15-2003, 04:09 PM
little_rod

Gawd, I am scared to mess with the transmission, how easy is the installation?? Might not make any tranny mods til the clutch goes out, then go all out with it, lol.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:42 PM
Ben @ Rogue Engineer

Originally posted by little_rod
Gawd, I am scared to mess with the transmission, how easy is the installation?? Might not make any tranny mods til the clutch goes out, then go all out with it, lol.
little_rod,

install is SUPER easy. took me about an hour WITH taking pictures the FIRST time!

for a view of what the install is like, you can view them online:

Rogue Engineering 350Z Short Shifter Install

The next time should take me about 20-30 minutes, without rushing. I wish the shifter in a BMW was this easy (and I've done a few hundred shifter installs in BMWs).
Old 09-15-2003, 05:00 PM
Glasgow Smile
dat title

How?/When? can I order one?
Old 09-15-2003, 06:29 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm very interested also. please pm/post prices when you can.

but, some of the review on the stock shifter i'll have to disagree with....doesnt feel vague to me. i primarily want this short shifter for track days though
Old 09-16-2003, 04:57 AM
Zship

B18bvudoo,

Once you install the RE Short Shifter you'll feel what I mean. It makes the stock shifter feel loose and not very tightly coupled.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:36 PM
DeeZee

hey ben, are you planing on offering a group buy???? an dhow long (do you think) untill we can order? i tried to get one from dweeb but never got ahold of him?????
Old 09-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Phatmitzu

Seems like everyone is questioning, and I will ask again...

WELL HOW MUCH IS IT??
Old 09-16-2003, 10:21 PM
john350Z

yup, how much and is there a group buy?

put me on the list.

-john
Old 09-17-2003, 06:52 AM
Ben @ Rogue Engineer

We don't have definitive pricing, but our best estimate is somewhere between $225-$240. We're working on finalizing it within the next few days.

For those interested, email me at ben@rogueengineering.com with the following information:

- Real Name
- Contact Email

This is NOT an obligation to purchase it, but will put you on a list to be notified first regarding delivery, availablility, and ordering.

Regarding GB pricing, that's completely up to the dealers and distributors that ultimate carry the product. However, it will initally only be offered direct by us (Rogue Engineering) and so far, by Zeckhausen.com (who doesn't do GB as a normal practice)