Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 05:19 PM
STEVE 6483G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question synthetic?

i know that there are many threads about this topic and i have heard different opinions for nissan and the website. next week i am considering finally changing over to mobil 1. i know have 12000 miles on the z. is this really worth it and what are some advantages/disadvantages of synthetic?
Old 09-17-2003, 06:44 PM
Enron Exec

I had Mobil 1 5W30 full synth put in my350Z a bit early at 6400 miles. Im super happy with it. Im still on the same 5 quarts and I think the Mobil 1 M110 oil filter for almost 4500 miles and its still running smooth.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:00 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Run amsoil, best you can get. Advantages, better lub protection, oil won't break down as fast, potentially cleaner engine, and you can go longer between oil changes. Disadvantages, costs more $ if you change oil every 3K miles. With amsoil, they say you can run up to 35K miles or 1 year. Just change filter every 3-6K miles.

I think it's a myth in regards to waiting until a certain milage to switch to a synthetic. IMO, you could run it from the 1st oil change on. Basically every mechanic that I have asked about breakin periods for new cars says that new cars now don't really have a break in for the engine. Maybe the first 2-3 miles.

I know that some higher end cars, I believe it's porsches, run mobile 1 syn from the factory (though I could be wrong).
Old 09-17-2003, 07:33 PM
the bluez33

Originally posted by Zivman
I know that some higher end cars, I believe it's porsches, run mobile 1 syn from the factory (though I could be wrong).
my 01 SVT Cobra ran synth from the factory
Old 09-17-2003, 08:22 PM
AL350Z

I am currently running 0W30 Mobil1 in mine and the Nissan dealership put in for me. I do know the mechanic and he would say something to me if it was bad. IMO, the thinner the better with synthetic. I run mine between 7,500-10,000 miles with no problems. I ran it in my Civic Si like that as well. Go for it.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:29 PM
Enron Exec

The only car ive heard with the owner's manual suggesting 0W30 are the new Hondas like the TSX. Im not sure if its worth trading off that bit of protection for almost negligable increase in performance. That 0W rating is gonna hurt the engine a bit more on cold starts then a 5W right?
Old 09-17-2003, 08:41 PM
AL350Z

Well, the 0W30 is marketed as a Fuel Economy leader but that does'nt really concern me that much. I feel like any oil mass marketed like the ones in AutoZone(where I purchased) will provide plenty of protection for any situation, especially Mobil1. Not that they are any better than any other company but for some reason(unknown) I believe they are superior. This opinion does exclude the aformentioned brands that are much more expensive.
This is the 1st time I have seen or run 0W30 but I like the idea and the way the car is running. I'm averaging around 26 mpg but mainly because I lifted my foot a bit. The car runs very smooth.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:10 PM
Buub

The only disadvantage to synths is cost. Everything else is superior in every way.
Old 09-18-2003, 01:48 AM
Bait-Fish

Originally posted by Zivman
With amsoil, they say you can run up to 35K miles or 1 year. Just change filter every 3-6K miles
I believe you were just using the above to make a point but I must interject. While I can't argue with changing the filter, going up to 35k miles on the same oil is asking for trouble. Oils, be they dino or synthetic, have pH stabilizers that have a limitted lifetime. They, along with other detergents I'm sure, will be used up long before 35k miles are up.

If changing as little oil as possible is your objective then I suggest you drain some and send a sample in to Blackstone Laboratories (free test kits available) to buy yourself some real confidence whether or not the oil is really holding up as much as it's claimed to be able to. Every engine's characteristics vary of course so pushing the mileage of the oil safely will vary as well.

If ya really wanted to, another trick would be to, say at xx thousand miles, drain no more than 20% of the oil and top off with new thus replenishing some of the detergency, etc.

Heh, I don't think anyone's going to seriously try 35k though, are they?!
Old 09-18-2003, 05:17 AM
jckolnturn

Originally posted by Enron Exec
The only car ive heard with the owner's manual suggesting 0W30 are the new Hondas like the TSX. Im not sure if its worth trading off that bit of protection for almost negligable increase in performance. That 0W rating is gonna hurt the engine a bit more on cold starts then a 5W right?
0w30 oil is better for cold starts because it doesn't have to warm up, it's always lubricating.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:05 AM
mwaller

Regardless of which oil you choose, do not extend your drain intervals! Unless you install a high efficiency bypass filter, your oil filter will do little to capture dirt particles less than 10 microns in size. Draining your oil regularly is the only way to remove these. Replacing your regular full flow filter, no matter how good, will not do the trick.
I'd stick with the mfgrs recommended 5W30. Which oil you choose is up to you, but I strongly recommend Mobil 1. While it may not be as good as some specialty oils (Amsoil, redline, etc), it doesn't cost nearly as much. I also recommend investing in synthetic media filters like Mobil 1, amsoil, etc... conventional paper filters do a really poor job of removing harmful smaller particles. Nissan filters, in particular, are really poorly constructed paper filters. I took both OEM filters apart, and was shocked to find cardboard end caps on the filter element in one of them... that's pretty cheap.
Mika