Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Serious Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:37 PM
JK_HRZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Transmission Issues

I will start from the beginning of when this issue started happening. It's long, but I need some help and it would be appreciated.

A couple months ago I had changed my transmission fluid from OEM fluid to a synthetic fluid 15,000 miles.

It was fine for a week then I noticed my 5th gear started to grind when the tranny was cold. A month or two after that, 5th gear would grind everytime if it wasn't put into gear slowly. So everytime I would drive the car, I would slowly put it into 5th gear to try to avoid grindage.

Now about a week ago, I've noticed that 6th gear also started to grind during just normal daily driving if the tranny was cold, after it warmed up 6th gear was fine, but 5th gear still had grinding issues if I didn't put it in slowly.

Now here's the weird part. I went to a race spot tonight, and had several races and of course I was shifting 5th gear fast, it grinded but went in every time. On about the 6th race I shifted 5th gear fast, it went in but when I let the clutch out, it didn't engage. Weird huh? Literally, my shifter is in the 5th gear slot but when I let the clutch out nothing happens...a couple seconds later I noticed that 6th gear also has this same exact issue. It's like being in neutral basically. I pulled into a gas station and tried putting it into 5th and 6th gear with the clutch in, it goes in, but when I let the clutch out nothing happens... 1st-4th gear still works normally, no grinding... Reverse works normally too.
Any idea's on what it could be? I am seriously stumped at what this could be, I've never seen or even heard of this kind of tranny problem before.. Any input is appreciated.

~J
Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Chromex319

Year vehicle? It's more common than you think.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:28 AM
JK_HRZ

Its an 08, I've heard of 5th gear grinding issues but I have never heard of 5th and 6th gear not engaging with the clutch out o_o
Old 04-25-2009, 12:33 AM
Chromex319

As long as your vehicle is under warranty, and no sign of abuse is present then you should be ok, just have them inspected. Don't worry, if the dealership is good to go, they'll give you a loaner. Trust me, I've had two tranny's replaced on my HR. It's pretty ghey, but a new tranny is a new tranny.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:05 AM
JK_HRZ

The dealership will void my transmission warranty because of my clutch, flywheel, & final drive gear...
Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 AM
That One Dude

Ouch...

Dude.. I get the same ********... and I have an 08 also... but mine grinds going into 3rd as well... I can hear it and feel it in my hand... It sucks...

I don't have any mods or anything yet just a stupid Amuse R1 Titan exhaust.. And some 19" AME Circa Spec R wheels with +10 fronts and +0 rears bro... Stupid Veilside 2 wing...

What's the deal... It's pissin me off to no end.. You buy a new car and it acts like crap... WTF?!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:12 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Cars arent perfect, even holy fairladys.

Jk HRZ what kind of fluid did you put into the tranny? If its not what the manufacturer specificys in there it could be hte problem. My suggestion, get some OEM fluid and see how she acts. IF its still messin up take it back to the dealer. I wouldnt reccomend taking it back with the synthetic. If its not the same color you might get DNF'ed by the stealership.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:54 PM
JK_HRZ

Lol but the thing is: the DEALER asked me if I wanted to change my tranny flluid to synthetic, and I said sure why not? And this is what I get for letting them change my fluid. Fail, fml.

I'm taking it to them first thing monday morning, let's see what they say.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine is all good (07 ) 20k on motul
Old 05-02-2009, 04:00 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, the dealer changed the fluid? **** that take it to them and have them fix it, you have no problems then.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:53 PM
red350zluis

JK HRZ heep me updated on your situation, the SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO ME WED NIGHT! the only difference is that the next morning i was messing with it and somehow got 5th to engage and now its stuck in gear. i havent been able to drive it but i think i will buy a tranny next week, please let me know what you are dong with yours, thanks and good luck.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:54 PM
leg killa

im on my 2nd tranny...bout to get a 3rd one out of my own pocket...5th grinds and im going to need that gear sooner or later
Old 05-04-2009, 04:32 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Should've stuck with OEM tranny fluid. It's one of the few things in "Zs" that should'nt be substituted by aftermarket products. Sorry. MAYBE, if you go back to OEM fluid, you might fix the problem.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:48 AM
red350zluis

NO, trust me that wont solve the prob.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:21 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
Should've stuck with OEM tranny fluid.
+1
Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 PM
JK_HRZ

Update: I took it in to the dealer on monday morning. Im good friend's with one of the tech's there (because I've gotten into 2 accidents drifting and had to replace 2 rims, control arms, bearings, suspension brackets, etc. so while he was working on my car we became pretty good friends, lol.)

Anyways he said he'd hook me up and try and get the tranny replaced under warranty. I asked him if he could just take apart the tranny and look at it, and he said he couldn't because Nissan doesn't allow their tech's to take apart anything of that sort... So he called me a few hours after I had dropped it off and said he talked to his manager and said he signed for it to be replaced under warranty

However, there are also other factors that come into play... I've taken my car back to the dealer 3 times now to get the concentric slave cylinder replaced. Also, I changed my tranny fluid there and exactly a week after, my 5th gear started grinding. Therefore, they know that I've been having tranny problems for a while... I think that's also part of the reason why his manager signed off for my tranny to be replaced under warranty...

I agree with J. arnaldo, I am always going to stick with oem tranny fluid frm now on, lol.

red350zluis: I got mine into 5th gear also a couple times and it got stuck in there; to get it out you have to wiggle it rigorously while in the neutral position and it'll eventually come out. Make sure the car is off when you do it
Old 05-07-2009, 01:20 PM
JK_HRZ

Update: Nissan America sent a tech down to the dealer to drive my car. He decided that it was not a manufacturer defect and the transmission failed due to driver abuse.

GTFO. I swear this is the worst tranny ever created, I bet a 5 speed daewoo tranny would hold up with my driving longer then our POS tranny's.

Anyways I have to buy a new tranny and pay for labor. They quoted me at $2200 for everything, but my friend is going to try and get it for his price (30% off).

fml
Old 05-07-2009, 03:57 PM
aguita

wow im having the same issue on my 05..Weird thing is that the tranny never grinded but last night I was racing and the car wont go into 5th no matter what is like it goes into neutral but the lever is on 5th..

I noticed that the car goes on 5th when is stopped and I let the clutch out the car moves..

wierd!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:54 PM
RetchedOne

Originally Posted by aguita
wow im having the same issue on my 05..Weird thing is that the tranny never grinded but last night I was racing and the car wont go into 5th no matter what is like it goes into neutral but the lever is on 5th..

I noticed that the car goes on 5th when is stopped and I let the clutch out the car moves..

wierd!

How many miles on your 2005?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:41 PM
mkuletz

mine is 350z 2008 stick, i bought it last march of 2008 (brand new)... i had my 1 year maintenance 2 days ago and according to the dealer my transmission needs to be replaced coz its broken... my mileage is only 10k+.. my routine is only work and home... ouch... they said that its under warranty and it wont cost me anything... they will replace that with a new transmission... but still how come within a year my transmission broke? what should i do?... do i have to file a complaint? pls help me...

Last edited by mkuletz; 05-08-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Serious Transmission Issues