Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ACT StreetLite flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009 | 03:32 AM
harvey a

Default ACT StreetLite flywheel?

[B][B] Thinking of putting in new clutch (Exedy, OEM) with an ACT flywheel, as offered by one of our site's vendors. As I understand it, this combo would keep original clutch 'feel' while adding some 'zip' to initial acceleration. No 'free-lunches', though- I'm told the clutch then 'chatters'. Anybody have any real-world experience with this? How noisy is it? Worth doing? Wouldn't mind some extra 'oomph', but not if its going to sound like we're riding in a 1942 truck! What about the Unorthodox lightweight pulleys (NOT underdriven)? Any real benefit? Anybody use the AMS pulleys? Would appreciate your opinions/comments/suggestions, 'specially if they are born of real-world experience. Thank you in advance.
harvey a[
Old 06-04-2009 | 06:15 AM
harvey a

Sorry Dave.
harvey a
Old 06-04-2009 | 06:50 AM
neox

I had a lightweight flywheel/aftermarket clutch combo in my old Z and the chattering wasn't too bad. The sound only got really bad when you were in the wrong gear, for example 3rd gear going 15-20mph. The chattering was also noticeable in every gear up until about 1500RPM, then it disappeared completely. I did have noticeable gains with the aftermarket combo though so I plan on replacing this clutch/flywheel when the time comes.
Old 06-04-2009 | 07:01 AM
davidv

If you are considering a clutch, consider design rather than brand. With all clutches, you have to give up something to gain something. There is always a tradeoff. Usually what you give up is "street friendly."

There is no comparable criteria for stages, but if a manufacturer makes 3 stages, stage #1 will be a OEM replacement. Stage #3 will be a racing clutch: not very friendly on the street.
Old 06-04-2009 | 07:42 AM
tylerxfire

i have act streetlight flywheel, and act clutch and my chatter is not too bad, just sitting at idle with the clutch not engaged it will chatter a little if u push the clutch in it goes away, or if u lug the car down real low rpm's u will hear chatter, but not during normal driving or anything, its easy to work around and totally worth it especially if u ever plan to go F.I.
Old 06-04-2009 | 07:50 AM
PV350Z
Banned

good knowledge...thank op for posting a question on my mind
Old 06-04-2009 | 02:44 PM
goodkd

that flywheel works fine with the oem clutch. Is the clutch slipping? IF not and if you aren't FI, just dong the flywheel is fine.

I have the ProLite (~3lbs lighter than the StreatLite) and it is great. Minimal noise and revs much faster.

Kev