Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Impressions on the 301 rwhp N/A car built at MOSSY.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 04:57 PM
bobowah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Impressions on the 301 rwhp N/A car built at MOSSY.

Well looks like I'm starting to do more of these "MY impressions"

I met Richard_350z and took a ride in his car on Saturday 9/27/2003. Richard has asked me to post this for the public.

If you flame me... then it's your loss for as I will not post publicly nor respond to PM's for future modded cars that come out. I will just keep my impressions to myself.

So here are my impressions on the 301 rwhp N/A car from the passenger seat. I would give more information if I was able to drive the car as for specific nuances through the RPMS.

1. Sound: the car sounded different with all the mods. The motor sounded like it was able to get adequate air into the motor and out of the motor. The exhaust tone is different due to the borla exhaust.

2. Weirdness: With to the flywheel, nismo cam, and UR pulleys, car comes to an idle and almost stalls which I think it kinda weird for daily driving. Best way to describe it is that the motor burbles when it comes down to 1000-1500 RPM.

3. Power: So the car pulls harder through the rpms especially beyond 4000 rpm. With our cars unmodded power seems to drop off around 5100 rpm until redline. With the cams there seems to be some more power.

4. HP: Personally I don't think it's 301 rwhp but I'll let the dyno be the judge of those numbers. And I will let raceboy and Richard_350z faceoff and get into arguments.

5. Overall Impression: If you are going N/A, some of these mods are probably worth it. I really think the Borla Headers and exhaust do free up a bunch of the exhaust restrictions that the motor might have. The CAMs will help you if you are fighting for the hp between 4200rpm and redline. The lightened flywheel I would pass on b/c of driveablity. UR pulleys I would pass on basically only getting 2 hp and losing energy which would be recycled back into the battery (might as well invest in 5 hp stickers).

6. Comparision:

Between Procharger and N/A, there is nothing you can say do or b*tch about where N/A car is better than a car with boost. The Procharger gives you more overall torque and hp.

But if you compare reliablity and support of the manufacturer I would say N/A b/c you have less problems to deal with. Whatever people say, ATI does not have the best customer service.

Power Enterprise Turbo when it comes out. I would take boost over N/A if they have a reliable 7 psi car. At 4psi I would pass on the PE kit b/c of cost. You might as well save you money and get N/A mods.

7. These are my independent impressions from a person who does not own that person's modded car. And I have been fortunate to ride or drive some of these modded cars.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:17 PM
TheBigShow

appreciate the review, dude. i just have the crank pulley, and i don't think it's detrimental at all. the flywheel and cams i'm sure r a different story though.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:30 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would you delete the pulleys? i'm about to get them so i'm curious.

thanks,
victor
Old 09-29-2003, 06:31 PM
TheBigShow

Default Re: Thanks, dude

Originally posted by Richard 350z
I think I'm getting a Crawford plenum (and strut brace) in the next few weeks. It's ugly, but I've decided I can live with that.
i'm gonna go out on a limb and guess u won't b sayin that after it's in there and u see it in person .
Old 09-29-2003, 06:38 PM
TheBigShow

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
why would you delete the pulleys? i'm about to get them so i'm curious.
i second that inquiry. like i said before, i have no complaints at all. the flywheel and cams r what u r noticing.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:57 PM
ponykiller

I *think* he is saying that he felt the pulleys did the least for his car, as far as performance goes. And, that would be the one thing he feels would be least noticeable to go without.

Just an assumption, I do not know!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:08 PM
little_rod

Those are just opinions, cause really, it is hard to single out those mods as unfavorable ones by just riding in the car. I do appreciate your impressions, bobowah, they seem unbaised and true. I like what you say about boost vs. N/A. If people are looking for them to be equal, then they will be looking for a while and spending a lot more money in the process for N/A.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:37 PM
all_bark

my uneducated guess would be that it was the cams that made the car stall. Coming from fast (high rpm) to a quick stop, it could have been the lop of the cam and the low idle caused it to stop.

maybe?
Old 09-29-2003, 09:42 PM
spazpilot

all I have to say is that if you are planning on going N/A on this car, 1rwhp is 1rwhp. Every little bit counts, so passing on the pulleys and the flywheel would not be a good idea. your right it maybe only 2 hp but your also reducing weight. same with the flywheel. weight reduction on the crank frees up hp overall. thats my .02
Old 09-29-2003, 10:12 PM
bobowah

again the impression I stated is my opinion.

Part of the reason I would delete the Pulleys is that I believe that the lightening of the "dampers/pulleys" will put some more undue stress on the motor. But that's a debatable decision. I personally believe in harmonics of the motor.

Our motor is rough as it is in comparison to lexus or bmw for example. So that part of my reason for not getting them.

The lightened Flywheel does make it harder to engage the clutch on the street. As for driveablity is an issue for me, I would get annoyed by the difficulty of getting the car into gear. I would have a different opinion if I had this setup on the track. So thus my opinions.

These conclusions are not that difficult to come to... again these are my opinions.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:16 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

bobowah:

You mentioned you have driven some of these modded cars. Have you driven an ATI SC Z yet? If yes, I am assuming the difference in power between the two by the butt dyno is hugh! I guess that is a no brainer considering it is over double the hp gain.

Seems to me the only real reason to go NA is because you just dont think any FI options are reliable. Lets face it, for bang for the buck, the FI options are much cheaper.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:28 PM
bobowah

Originally posted by zland
bobowah:

You mentioned you have driven some of these modded cars. Have you driven an ATI SC Z yet? If yes, I am assuming the difference in power between the two by the butt dyno is hugh! I guess that is a no brainer considering it is over double the hp gain.

Seems to me the only real reason to go NA is because you just dont think any FI options are reliable. Lets face it, for bang for the buck, the FI options are much cheaper.
Jeff you aren't reading are you? hahah... I have driven jritoli's car, ridding in Cheston's car, and now ridden in richard_350z car (with an offer to drive it now). So again these are impressions.

I have seen the dyno numbers for jritoli's car and been to the dyno for ATI procharger runs for other supercharged cars. Jritoli car definitely has power. BTW did I say I drove it...

And for the same money right now as N/A you get a boosted car and if you take care of will provide you a smile from ear to ear.

Last edited by bobowah; 09-30-2003 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:04 AM
jreiter

Default More info on pullies

For what it's worth, here's a white paper Dinan did regarding the danger of aftermarket pullies. Good read:
http://www.dinancars.com/html/danger...er_pulleys.htm

Last edited by jreiter; 09-30-2003 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thats good stuff Jeff-

you're more than welcome to drive my TTz when it is re-installed...
Old 09-30-2003, 12:11 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by bobowah
Jeff you aren't reading are you? hahah... I have driven jritoli's car, ridding in Cheston's car, and now ridden in richard_350z car (with an offer to drive it now). So again these are impressions.

I have seen the dyno numbers for jritoli's car and been to the dyno for ATI procharger runs for other supercharged cars. Jritoli car definitely has power. BTW did I say I drove it...

And for the same money right now as N/A you get a boosted car and if you take care of will provide you a smile from ear to ear.
Whoops, thread reading fatigue! Sometimes I get mixed up who has driven and installed what. Sorry.....I wonder who of us would win on Z trivia?

Jeff

PS: I am jealious, I want to drive them all too