Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Ok, so now my car is gutless...not cool.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:44 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
all great ideas. Decided to really dig in again. Bought the Kinetix v composite plenum... going the Top Secret/ Intense res'd test pipes. Cobb tuning ECU programmer.... changing my plugs ( 68k miles), running QT gas.. and yes, today is cooler by 20 degrees and car runs MUUUCH better. Didnt know that heat shield makes that much diff... good to know. will post here or in another better spot with the results soon. Cobb tuner wont be until next mo tho...
you're taking steps backwards, not forwards. Stick with the stock plenum and just fit a spacer

your finding out the enemy that is heat soak. You can start ceramic coating everything, wrapping exhaust manifolds, etc. How far you go is based upon your time and budget
Old 07-27-2009, 12:00 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts

Kinetix is fully composite and will run much cooler then the stock plenum w a spacer. I have the latest version as well, version 4+. I will be ordering up the heat shield EOM ( already called JWT, 39 bux shipped). The heat issue would be greatly solved w ceramic coating everything , but i dont see that as being a reasonable solution for a basic enthusiast like myself. Jett Hot gets expensive extremely quick, and I dont have tools to disassemble the engine components to have them coated. So Im sticking w simple fixes.

Again, I will have some more things dialed in after the plenum and camber bar install EOM... i think this will take care of alot. Heading out to do the ECU reset at lunchtime for last nights tweaks.....
Old 07-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

saying it runs "much cooler" is about as vast of an overstatement as I can think of. I owned one (I forget what version it was...it still cracked on me btw, twice)

rather than wasting the money on it, you could have had your OEM stuff ceramic coated at a local powdercoater...and been ahead of the curve. No need to send stuff to Jet Hot (they have nice coatings too though)...many local powdercoaters can offer a service that will easily work for these types of needs

you don't have the tools? it takes a simple socket set - that should be the basic level of tools anyone doing any mechanical work on their car should own

good luck to ya
Old 07-28-2009, 07:38 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

man, that really sucks to hear about the plenum, but reality is reality i guess. Well we shal see, gets installed next tuesday. Im startin to think traction is a huge issue as well. I cant hear or feel total wheel spin, but it seems like the back end gives extremely easily if i drive slowly thru even a trickle of water, parking lots etc. Anyways, i wont post anymore until i have the parts installed.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:21 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

bump... been a bit.
I decided to put my factory airbox and OEM filter back on and VIOLA.

EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM WAS IMMEDIATELY FIXED.

The car sounds awesome now, it really tames down the HKS exhaust drone as well. Its like driving a factory smooth car again... not a race car.
Seems to have MUUUCH more low end torque by the butt-dyno, and the upper most end was affected a bit, but I dont mind. Gained about an exttra avg mpg now too. And its still hot out here in AZ.
Zero dip anymore, not heat "soak" issue. The MAF adapter was literally melting in my engine bay. Im going to stick a K/N drop in filter in there and be done.

Regardless, each and every single issue I had above in my post was solved by removing the bare cone filter and re-installing the factory box. There was no air leak and was installed properly.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
mistanismo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was about to say... why have you not put back the stock box?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:34 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

just changed my plugs to NGK Iridium and put the plenum on, car is a totally different beast now, gas mileage is ok, sound is amazing, power pulls like crazy and torque is feels much higher, strangely. Thanks Intense Motorsports! Idle smooth, driveability is good.