Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New Transmission (Version date 10-01-03) Details

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 04:56 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Transmission (Version date 10-01-03) Details

My understanding is that this is Nissan's 3rd version of the Z transmission since production. I have a pre 2000 vin# Z with the heavy clutch.

The most noticable difference was replacement of the clevis pin. The clutch is so much lighter. The clutch engages about an inch and a half from the floor and travel is fine. I will miss the heavy feel which made race launches quick and predictable. But, overall, the lighter clutch is an improvement.

The next noticable difference is the accuracy of the shift throws. I'm not quite sure what was done with the gates but, the shifts are more precise and deliberate than the original shifter. It's also stiffer and more difficult to move from one gear to the next which I'm sure is due to the newness. I expect it will free up after breaking in.

The biggest concern I have is, in 3rd gear, I noticed a slight, almost imperceptable bump. It's a little blip like the shifter is being thrown back at you. It's too early to tell if this slight break in synchronicity (wow, I actually found a place to use that word) will be a future problem. But, that blip is exactly how my grinds started in the first place. I don't think the syncros are perfected yet. In fact, I spoke with someone in the know who flatly stated that the synchro problem isn't fixed yet.

For those of you that have grinds, I believe a replacement is about $3k not including labor. Therefore, I strongly recommend that you replace your tranny before the warranty runs.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:47 AM
rodH

i just started to get e BAD grind into 3rd, my dealer is contacting Nissan about it today.

I am almost glad this happened, especially now VS 4 years down the road. Now its on Nissan to pay for it
Old 10-02-2003, 11:11 AM
MaximumPwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 3rd version already????? I just read about the 2nd version on this forum about a month ago. It is just a transmission. Why can't Nissan get it right. Not to be mean or put down Nissan, but I am starting to believe they are using the cheapest parts possible in the tranny.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:33 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Keep it is perspective. Ford has not got the Auto Trnny right yet after years of broken trannys and try the Dodge Neon and head gaskets. Toyota is having major problems with their V6's ie burnt valves. All MB are known to leak big time. The list goes on and on......when you consider how many new products Nissan released this past 24 months, they have not done too bad.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:47 PM
g35or350z

Is the transmission warranty a 5 year 60k mile powertrain warranty or is it the basic 3 year/36k mile?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:02 PM
rodH

Originally posted by MaximumPwr
A 3rd version already????? I just read about the 2nd version on this forum about a month ago. It is just a transmission. Why can't Nissan get it right. Not to be mean or put down Nissan, but I am starting to believe they are using the cheapest parts possible in the tranny.
VWs and Honda s2000 have had a similar problem, it isn't just nissan
Old 10-02-2003, 01:21 PM
MaximumPwr

Ahhhhhhh I see.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:30 PM
raceboy
Banned

Powertrain warranty is 5/60 right? Screw it, just have fun. Performance Nissan did my tranny swap in about 2 hours, that is as long as my local dealer takes to do an oil change!! LOL
Old 10-02-2003, 01:41 PM
zoasis

I'm on my 3rd tranny right now. I can feel the "blip" going into 2nd and 3rd. On the last tranny replacement, Nissan stated this would be my last tranny replacement, whatever that means!?!?
Old 10-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Z PHAT Z

I'm on my second tranny. Every gear is fine, only the 5th gear gives me problem. When I'm in 4th gear trying to get into 5th, it got stuck there and have to force it in( no grinding ). This happened when I push all the way to right from 4th gear to get into 5th. This is to make sure I shift into 5th rather than 3rd. But if I don't pus all the way to the right then it get into 5th easily. I brought it back and th two techs test drove it and said nothing wrong. I got upset and insist to talk to the service manager. He came out and test drove with me in the car. He got that same problem and said nothing really bad. But then after a while he said it's a problem cuze you can't shift normally into 5th. Now I'm waiting for him to call Nissan Tech and get back to me.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:42 PM
azaz

Originally posted by Z PHAT Z
I'm on my second tranny. Every gear is fine, only the 5th gear gives me problem. When I'm in 4th gear trying to get into 5th, it got stuck there and have to force it in( no grinding ). This happened when I push all the way to right from 4th gear to get into 5th. This is to make sure I shift into 5th rather than 3rd. But if I don't pus all the way to the right then it get into 5th easily. I brought it back and th two techs test drove it and said nothing wrong. I got upset and insist to talk to the service manager. He came out and test drove with me in the car. He got that same problem and said nothing really bad. But then after a while he said it's a problem cuze you can't shift normally into 5th. Now I'm waiting for him to call Nissan Tech and get back to me.

Phat Z

My friend has his tranny replaced and it did exactly what you are describing. I drove it and it would catch the reverse gate but not go into reverse but just catch if you pushed it all the way over to the right to put it in 5th. He took it back to the dealer and they centered the shifter and all is well now. They actually fixed it by accident. They just told him they would adjust the shifter. See if that helps any.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:49 PM
eskimo

Originally posted by rodH
VWs and Honda s2000 have had a similar problem, it isn't just nissan
And lets not forget Mitsubishi's reputation for making "trannys made of glass"
Old 10-02-2003, 09:23 PM
350z4steve

Originally posted by raceboy
Powertrain warranty is 5/60 right? Screw it, just have fun. Performance Nissan did my tranny swap in about 2 hours, that is as long as my local dealer takes to do an oil change!! LOL
including time installing the flywheel too?
Old 10-02-2003, 09:44 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by zoasis
I'm on my 3rd tranny right now. I can feel the "blip" going into 2nd and 3rd. On the last tranny replacement, Nissan stated this would be my last tranny replacement, whatever that means!?!?
LOL, they said that because in most states another tranny would open them up to the lemon law.