Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Too late to install a Transgo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:24 AM
mesias

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too late to install a Transgo kit?

Hi,

I have a 2004.5 G35 sedan that has 51+K miles of normal daily driving. At 30K miles I did an semi-flush of the tranny and the ATF was red and clear. The transmission behave normally with its regular lags and stuff... nothing weird. My question is: Is there a time limit or millage when the solenoids of the VB might fail due to the upgraded shift kit? Is there a point when it is too risky to upgrade the VB? I know that this upgrade re-calibrate the transmission reducing slippage making each shift faster and more efficient but does this improvement put a burden on the solenoids? I have this question posted in driver aswell but I haven't received any answers.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Shertown Turbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the VB upgrade too. Granted I only have 37K on my car but I dont see a reason why 50K would be anything but fine with the upgrade. If you want some piece of mind get a tranny cooler it will keep the little extra heat that is produced by the new VB down back to normal if not cooler.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:40 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

A trans cooler is a good idea on these cars (which I didn't know until monitoring temps, which you could do to decide for yourself).

The decision to put in a VB should not be affected by the age of the transmission. It will result in firmer shifts. That said, I don't know that I'd bother if not increasing the load on the transmission (e.g. FI).
Old 07-22-2009, 01:47 PM
mesias

Originally Posted by Shertown Turbo
...If you want some piece of mind get a tranny cooler it will keep the little extra heat that is produced by the new VB down back to normal if not cooler.
The cooler will go for sure but as a support mod. Correct me if I'm wrong but the reprogramming kit will actually reduce the temperature of the ATF since it reduce slipage.

Originally Posted by rcdash
A trans cooler is a good idea on these cars (which I didn't know until monitoring temps, which you could do to decide for yourself).

The decision to put in a VB should not be affected by the age of the transmission. It will result in firmer shifts. That said, I don't know that I'd bother if not increasing the load on the transmission (e.g. FI).
FI is the final goal, cooler and Transgo kit are just supporting mods. For now I'm staying NA until I get funds for FI. Still, the Transgo kit would be a worth upgrade even if I only eliminate the downshift lag of the AT. But I'm concern with the longevity of the solenoids in the VB.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:48 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had about 57,000 miles on mine when i did the v/b mod and everything has been fine since but def get a trans cooler also.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:05 PM
z2g

Shift kit doesnt change the solenoids in any way. It enhances the shift valves in the valve body itself and pretty much improve fluid flow
Old 07-22-2009, 04:02 PM
mesias

So, the increase on fluid flow and pressure does not affect at all the solenoids? Isn't the solenoids in charge of controlling the shifts?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:16 PM
z2g

Originally Posted by mesias
So, the increase on fluid flow and pressure does not affect at all the solenoids? Isn't the solenoids in charge of controlling the shifts?
solenoids commands the shift, it doesnt alter it