Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

ACT Streetlite Flywheel - Holy Cement Mixer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 AM
mx594

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ACT Streetlite Flywheel - Holy Cement Mixer!

So I just installed an ACT Streetlite and a Clutch Masters FX300 into my 03 G35 Coupe. All I can say is wow, this thing sounds like CRAP. I expected a little noise, but nothing like this. I picked the heavier Streetlite flywheel, thinking it would be the least noisy of the ones available but I am starting to think that it may be even noisier than the lighter ones. If I give it more than half throttle in 3rd gear from about 1500 rpm, it goes through an rpm band where it sounds like the car is going to fall apart. It's almost like it's hitting some kind of natural frequency - it vibrates the whole car! I know ACT claims that this is normal and it's not harmful to the drivetrain, but I find that very hard to believe given the severity of the vibration.

At higher rpms it's as quiet as the stock flywheel, and very smooth. But if I jump on the gas at very low rpm...goddam!

Does anyone have expirience with the streetlite vs. other lighter flywheels?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Perhaps an improper installation. It shouldn't make noise while in gear and moving.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:24 AM
blasian

My ACT Prolite flywheel and Competition Clutch flywheel chattered a good bit at low RPMs...
Old 07-22-2009, 09:53 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,663 Posts

give it a few months and you won't notice it.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:39 AM
mx594

Originally Posted by terrasmak
give it a few months and you won't notice it.

Haha! I highly doubt that. It's loud and annoying. I gave my co-worker a ride today (he has an 04 G with a Fidanza) and he said it was waaaaay louder than his!

And yes, I am sure it is installed correctly. I spent 8 hours putting the tranny back in the car, I tightened every bolt to factory specs using a torque wrench, and I double checked every bolt. I also used fresh Redline tranny fluid, and flushed the clutch hydraulic system thoroughly. The engine is very smooth at high RPM, so I know its not out of balance.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:43 AM
blasian

Wonder if it has anything to do with the CC and ACT flywheels being one piece.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Perhaps an improper installation. It shouldn't make noise while in gear and moving.
lol, you are WRONG sir. at low rpms it will rattle a bit in first and second. keep the stock flywheel if you want no sound.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by Nexx
keep the stock flywheel if you want no sound.
QFT. The noise is normal, whether or not you can live with it... is another question.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:58 AM
dmroberson

My ACT Prolite flywheel and heavy duty street clutch only chatters when idling in neutral, and occasionally at low rpms... not too bad to me...
Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

My ACT Prolite flywheel and heavy duty street clutch only chatters when idling in neutral, and occasionally at low rpms... not too bad to me...
This is normal

So I just installed an ACT Streetlite and a Clutch Masters FX300 into my 03 G35 Coupe. All I can say is wow, this thing sounds like CRAP. I expected a little noise, but nothing like this. I picked the heavier Streetlite flywheel, thinking it would be the least noisy of the ones available but I am starting to think that it may be even noisier than the lighter ones. If I give it more than half throttle in 3rd gear from about 1500 rpm, it goes through an rpm band where it sounds like the car is going to fall apart. It's almost like it's hitting some kind of natural frequency - it vibrates the whole car! I know ACT claims that this is normal and it's not harmful to the drivetrain, but I find that very hard to believe given the severity of the vibration.

At higher rpms it's as quiet as the stock flywheel, and very smooth. But if I jump on the gas at very low rpm...goddam!

Does anyone have expirience with the streetlite vs. other lighter flywheels?
That is not.

lol, you are WRONG sir. at low rpms it will rattle a bit in first and second. keep the stock flywheel if you want no sound.
I have driven several Z's with upgraded clutches and the only one that shutters or rattles while engaged under 1500rpm and moving is my OS Giken. That is caused from the UR pulley (Adam/Z1 had the same issue). Sounds like the clutchmaster clutch assembly and ACT flywheel are a crappy match.

I will agree that stock will be the quietest of the bunch, but mine rattled in neutral constantly so......

Last edited by 03threefiftyz; 07-22-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Nexx

This is normal

That is not.

I have driven several Z's with upgraded clutches and the only one that shutters or rattles while engaged under 1500rpm and moving is my OS Giken. That is caused from the UR pulley (Adam/Z1 had the same issue). Sounds like the clutchmaster clutch assembly and ACT flywheel are a crappy match.

I will agree that stock will be the quietest of the bunch, but mine rattled in neutral constantly so......
my competition flywheel never rattle at idle, it only made the noise when in engaged in a lower gear and at low rpms. i am anxious to see how my 3 disk OS reacts when I pick her up tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:29 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Nexx
my competition flywheel never rattle at idle, it only made the noise when in engaged in a lower gear and at low rpms. i am anxious to see how my 3 disk OS reacts when I pick her up tomorrow.
My OS is butterrrr. Only thing I would say is that it sounds like the throwout bearing is going bad, but it's just how the integrated set-ups sound. They are GRABBY to say the least. I love mine though. I know another with the triple (or it might have been quad) was having similar shuttering issues below 1500. It isn't a big deal to keep it above 1500 though, and it is only when you go full throttle.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Nexx

My OS is butterrrr. Only thing I would say is that it sounds like the throwout bearing is going bad, but it's just how the integrated set-ups sound. They are GRABBY to say the least. I love mine though. I know another with the triple (or it might have been quad) was having similar shuttering issues below 1500. It isn't a big deal to keep it above 1500 though, and it is only when you go full throttle.
noise never bothered me, its one thing you'll have to live with when going with a high performance clutch and flywheel combo. i just a clutch that will last and do me right at the track. i think i bought the right one.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:41 PM
mx594

I doubt that the clutch has anything to do with it. The clutch engagement is smooth...almost stock-like. The pedal effort is the same or easier than stock. The noise occurs when the clutch and the flywheel are fully engaged, rotating as one mass. I doubt it would sound any different with another clutch (ACT HD for example) of similar constuction.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:05 AM
mx594

Another wonderful side effect of the flywheel: my car almost stalls every time I come to a stop now. Even before the flywheel, right after I installed the UTEC I noticed the RPMs dipping when coming to a stop (even with the UTEC in the "0" position). The flywheel definitely made it worse. I tried all the re-learn procedures, but I think I am going to try it again because I am not sure it worked the first time.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:44 PM
BlackoutBeds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same flywheel and deffiantly know it was installed correctly it chatters somtimes at idle and all the time when starting from a low rpm...it shuts up when I get to about 2100 rpms…just turn the bass up, that should do the trick for ya
Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

You have to get use to it.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:38 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

OP......

pretty much all aftermarket flywheels FOR THE Z are noisy...why you ask? because look at them closely, they are nearly all one piece units............im not talking about removeable contact surfaces, not that, im talking about the flywheel iteself............it has no give and Nissan designed the oem fly to be forgiving......

now, go back to your garage or wherever and take a good hard look at the oem flywheel........why does everyone say "if you want no noise, go with the oem flywheel" ....................BECAUSE the oem flywheel is a TWO PIECE with the contact surface having springs that "GIVE" and keep everything quiet.......you can even with your hands/maybe a pry bar, move the contact surface section a wee bit and feel the give that is in the oem design over the mounting section of the fly that actually mounts to the rear of the VQ.....study it close and you can see.......its two piece forgiving fly....

from what i have seen, i have yet to see an aftermarket one designed like the oem........anyone else???

So your answer - its normal, so long as YOU know YOU installed it correctly....from the sound of it you did.....remember IT WILL quiet down some once the clutch and fly are broken in and mate up/hook up well........

Thats my laymen's terms explanation......

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 05-04-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:47 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Its the sound of performance...........you cant have your cake and eat it too.....

Some of my friends hate the sound of my clunky, popping, tire squealing when i turn at low speeds, nismo LSD.......i tell them.......thats nothing in comparison to its solid, predictable, on point performance each and every run on the track.....

Just tell people "its the sound of performance"

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 07-23-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 PM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
Just tell people "its the sound of performance"

-J
I tell my woman that and she say it is the sound of something falling apart

~Robert

Quick Reply: ACT Streetlite Flywheel - Holy Cement Mixer!