Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

engine noises when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 AM
aaronz8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine noises when accelerating

Hi, I was wondering if anything is wrong when my engine makes popping sounds when accelerating. I did not notice them before, but I've only driven this car for 3 weeks. I do not know the best word to describe this, so I don't know what to search on google.

Does anyone know what this is called? the sound is not constant, it is just when i'm accelerating.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Master Shake

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know what engine knocking sounds like? Might that be what you are describing? What kind of gas do you use?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:19 PM
WhiteNoiz

hmmmm yea, if you ran 87 octane for 3 weeks, it may have just started knocking.

popcorn kernals on the intake plenum?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:27 PM
-DK-

Default ...

i have the same deal happening to my s***. i have yet to finger out what it is but i believe and was told it is prob. the engine mounts. they wear out after a lil while.

keep me posted if you figure it out. ill do the same and let you know if i find out.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:19 PM
aaronz8

Default lol

I figured it was probably because I used the cheapest fuel at chevron. It was my second time filling up, and I was used to filling up on crapfuel with my old 98 honda accord haha.

I filled up again yesterday with the expensive fuel after the fuel gauge was very low, and so far there has not been this weird sound.

Also, could you describe engine knock to me? I've tried to search for it on google, but I could not find a good description. I have an impression that it is a constant noise, like whirring? (my noise was irregular, popping)

Thanks for your help
Old 08-27-2009, 11:16 PM
rlw222

Originally Posted by aaronz8
I figured it was probably because I used the cheapest fuel at chevron. It was my second time filling up, and I was used to filling up on crapfuel with my old 98 honda accord haha.

I filled up again yesterday with the expensive fuel after the fuel gauge was very low, and so far there has not been this weird sound.

Also, could you describe engine knock to me? I've tried to search for it on google, but I could not find a good description. I have an impression that it is a constant noise, like whirring? (my noise was irregular, popping)

Thanks for your help
That what you had. DO not ever run the cheap always the best . I go to stations with 93 or I add stp octane boost it works and covers your butt.