Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Dealer wants $1700 for clutch+flywheel :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:20 AM
ODEHBOY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer wants $1700 for clutch+flywheel :(

So my HR's tranny was acting funny, so I decided to take it in, They replaced the transmission under warranty, but now they are saying that the warranty won't cover my clutch or flywheel and that there is no way they can re surface the flywheel. I really didn't want to go to an after market clutch or flywheel.

So which would you guys reccomend to be like the most oem like?

The dealer wants 700 just for a clutch
and 1000 for a Flywheel.

He said that he would install an aftermarket clutch for me, since he knew that those prices were outrageous.

I'm pissed.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:07 PM
grudum

Seems pretty steep for a flywheel. why wouldn't you want a lighter fly? Revs alot quicker....dont let the cement mixer horror stories you read about on here scare you off...its not a big deal. good luck and taking your car to the dealer FTL.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for an upgraded Light flywheel and clutch for that price.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:13 PM
ODEHBOY

Originally Posted by grudum
Seems pretty steep for a flywheel. why wouldn't you want a lighter fly? Revs alot quicker....dont let the cement mixer horror stories you read about on here scare you off...its not a big deal. good luck and taking your car to the dealer FTL.
Thanks man, I have no idea why the dealer wants 1000 for a damn flywheel,

But im gonna go ahead and order the Spec Fly wheel and Clutch stage 1 for half the price.

Atleast he's not charging labor
Old 11-09-2009, 12:38 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The Southbend DXD Mid-weight flywheels will be ready very soon. These should help with the trans noise associated with the super lgihtweight flywheels.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:52 PM
ODEHBOY

Originally Posted by CuztompartZ
The Southbend DXD Mid-weight flywheels will be ready very soon. These should help with the trans noise associated with the super lgihtweight flywheels.
So are u saying the Spec is goning to produce noise?
Old 11-09-2009, 01:07 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ODEHBOY
So are u saying the Spec is goning to produce noise?
When you take out the stock fly any LW can cause gear chatter in the transmissions. The Stock DMF dampens the pulses from the pistons firing and doesnt allow it to transfer to the transmission. The gears in the z33 transmission do not have "sub-gears" on them and rely on the DMF to dampen. "sub-gears" ride on the ends of the transmission gears and reduce gear lash (rattleing/chatter)
Old 11-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Lakeside

I'm confused They replaced the entire tranny? What was it doing that made you bring it in?

Was it a slave cylinder failure?

Did they diagnose it correctly? Or are they trying to make a couple bucks on a warranty issue?

How many miles are on the car?

I find it hard to believe that if the tranny croaked they wouldn't cover a flywheel!!!.. The clutch on the other hand they could argue and say its a wear item but still..... Seems as though everything should be under warranty! You may want another Nissan dealership's opinion....

What was their exact diagnosis?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Lakeside

Don't get Robbed!..... Be very astute! Something seems amiss

Stand your ground and be firm with them.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:08 PM
ODEHBOY

Originally Posted by Lakeside
I'm confused They replaced the entire tranny? What was it doing that made you bring it in?

Was it a slave cylinder failure?

Did they diagnose it correctly? Or are they trying to make a couple bucks on a warranty issue?

How many miles are on the car?

I find it hard to believe that if the tranny croaked they wouldn't cover a flywheel!!!.. The clutch on the other hand they could argue and say its a wear item but still..... Seems as though everything should be under warranty! You may want another Nissan dealership's opinion....

What was their exact diagnosis?
I brought in the car cause i heard a noise coming from the tranny. So after a week and a half already of it being at the dealer, they said that they replaced the transmission cause it needed to be replaced. So i said ok, go ahead and change it. Well Today i get a call saying their warranty rep came out and looked at the car and noticed that I shouldn't haven even got a free tranny, so my service tech said, just be happy that we gave you a free tranny. So now i just bought the Spec stage 1 Clutch and a Spec flywheel and he said he will install it for free. Im sure they don't make that much off of warranty work?

But the car has 41k on it

And I asked him to atleast cut me a break before i bought the aftermarket clutch and flywheel and he said cost is 1000 for flywheel and 595 for clutch. So i just went ahead and bought my own. and hopefully if my tranny has problems afterwards they won't blame it for having an aftermarket clutch and flywheel?

Last edited by ODEHBOY; 11-09-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Ztouring04

JWT combo!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:13 PM
ODEHBOY

Originally Posted by Ztouring04
JWT combo!
Too late, and i wanted something OEM like, and i just read there was too much chatter with the JWT?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Lakeside

The whole thing wreaks of BS! I believe even the Warranty Rep came to that conclusion. Odd they would replace the entire tranny. That makes no sense to me either.

Doesn't sound like they explained any of this to you?! What caused the damage to the clutch & flywheel. What was their reasoning for replacing the entire tranny? I have to Question their mechanical aptitude They realized they bought a tranny that they shouldn't have.......... Now they don't want to eat the cost of the flywheel and clutch under warranty.... Very wierd! (Cover up) Sounds like you got a newb mechanic.

We had an issue at the Audi dealership. Mechanic left a socket in the head. Needless to say the Engine blew up on X-mas eve while my gurl was heading to her familys house. Was a complete disaster! Had many go arounds with them & management. Issues with CEL's after they replaced the head. Took months to get the car back to normal.

Last edited by Lakeside; 11-09-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:20 PM
ODEHBOY

The whole thing wreaks of BS! I believe even the Warranty Rep came to that conclusion. Odd they would replace the entire tranny. That makes no sense to me either.

Doesn't sound like they explained any of this to you?! What caused the damage to the clutch & flywheel. What was their reasoning for replacing the entire tranny? I have to Question their mechanical aptitude They realized they bought a tranny that they shouldn't have.......... Now they don't want to eat the cost of the flywheel and clutch under warranty.... Very wierd
They said something that 1st gear was going out. that was the first time around when they first diagnosed it or whatever. So before they even looked at the clutch i said well since there replacing the tranny under warranty shouldn't the clutch be replaced since it was there tranny that would be the cause of it?

Well today when i got the call, thats when he told me that the clutch is my problem?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Tommorow morning at 10am. Call this guy, Adam@z1auto.

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=4109

And i lived in grandrapid for little over yr. One day i called local dealer to order few oem parts, service department guy didn't even know what is Nismo Z. End of story.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 PM
ODEHBOY

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Tommorow morning at 10am. Call this guy, Adam@z1auto.

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ne&prodid=4109

And i lived in grandrapid for little over yr. One day i called local dealer to order few oem parts, service department guy didn't even know what is Nismo Z. End of story.
I have an 07 tho?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Lakeside

Call that dealer tomorrow or go down there and ask to speak to the service manager & GM! No reason you should be replacing a clutch at that mileage! Esp when the tranny sh*t the bed and most likely damaged it in some way.

I hate to see you get taken Bro! Thats why they offered to install the clutch and flywheel for free due to there being some issue of guilt or having some responsibility/involvement in this.

** My dads side of the family lives in Grand Haven/Grand Rapids. Use togo out there for Coast Guard fest and watch the races. Surf and take the skis out along the light house pier. Mad waves! Awesome freestyle. Nose stabs, back flips, barrel rolls

Last edited by Lakeside; 11-09-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by ODEHBOY
I have an 07 tho?
Search...Exedy has for HR

https://my350z.com/forum/drivetrain-420/
Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

When I was faced with this problem, I went with the JWT combo. It was about half as much as the stock stuff would have been and the car is faster.

I autocross and the combo shaved .4 seconds off my "test and tune" track times.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:49 PM
ODEHBOY

Call that dealer tomorrow or go down there and ask to speak to the service manager & GM! No reason you should be replacing a clutch at that mileage! Esp when the tranny sh*t the bed and most likely damaged it in some way.

I hate to see you get taken Bro! Thats why they offered to install the clutch and flywheel for free due to there being some issue of guilt or having some responsibility/involvement in this.

** My dads side of the family lives in Grand Haven/Grand Rapids. Use togo out there for Coast Guard fest and watch the races. Surf and take the skis out along the light house pier. Mad waves! Awesome freestyle. Nose stabs, back flips, barrel rolls
Damn i feel bad now that i already bought the flywheel and clutch. I hope still they don't come out with a bill at the end.

Ya it is pretty nice up there. Thats pretty sick haha

Quick Reply: Dealer wants $1700 for clutch+flywheel :(