Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New Grounding kit......

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Ronin82

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Grounding kit......

Today I recieved my grounding kit from Z-Xtreme.com and just finished installing it. Everything installed without a problem, warmed it up and took her for a spin to Tacobell with my wife.

I really didn't notice too much in a difference in idle as I 've read that most see.... but there was a change in engine sound being noticeably deeper accerlating in 1st and 2nd gear. I wanna say its smoother but it feels more growlish. not in a bad way though. My wife even says it sounds different

I installed it originally to try to solve the cold weather voltage loses I notice when its COLD, to support the new battery I have and just to have a better/cleaner/more accurate voltage signal overall as well to the ECU.

your thoughts.....?????

Mods: Injen CAI, Motordyne 5/16 PS, Borla TDE, AAM hiflow cats, Borla headers, Unorthodox pulley, Autolite Iridium plugs(need to be changed), Uprev Osirus reflash by Dave@Function Tuned.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sorry I do not have any input on your more "growlish" exhaust note after adding your grounding kit. I am just more at an all that people install a web of cables under their hoods, I mean really.

The manufacture laid the GROUND work for you, but due to assembly, the grounds get bolted to a painted metal. This is obviously not optimal for good grounding contacts. After removing some bolts, and using some sand paper, I have my grounding kit installed with no cob web.

P.S. Do not forget to sand the ground mounting point for the motor.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 AM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Ronin82

[QUOTE=beddow;7978609] I am just more at an all that people install a web of cables under their hoods, I mean really.QUOTE]

I mean it doesn't look bad and I managed to tuck the wires neatly.

warmed her for about 15mins before I came to work today.
When I go to initially start up my ride, it will turn, but I find that I need to give it a little throttle upon starting up or else it dies. But once I give it that half second throttle its fine.

Other than that the note of the engine HAS changed but I can't explain still. Its not detrimental and I notice it now at 3200rpm+. Throttle/accelaration DOES seem smoother more aggressive. I never expected this kinda positive reaction. other than the throttle needing to be opened a little for like 1/2 a second at starting, It seems to have been better than I expected.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:30 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Ronin82
I mean it doesn't look bad and I managed to tuck the wires neatly.

When I go to initially start up my ride, it will turn, but I find that I need to give it a little throttle upon starting up or else it dies. But once I give it that half second throttle its fine.

Other than that the note of the engine HAS changed but I can't explain still. Its not detrimental and I notice it now at 3200rpm+. Throttle/accelaration DOES seem smoother more aggressive. I never expected this kinda positive reaction. other than the throttle needing to be opened a little for like 1/2 a second at starting, It seems to have been better than I expected.
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but unless you already had noticeably bad ground issues, ground wires are snake oil. I had a set at one time, like pretty much everyone, so i'm not knocking you for doing it too, and it's certainly not hurting anything. But eventually you will more then likely sell them on the classifieds here, and realize that your car is no worse off without them.

Last edited by halfass872; 12-09-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Ronin82

Originally Posted by dave079
Its called a placebo effect
... ya... thats its!!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Ronin82

Originally Posted by halfass872
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but unless you already had noticeably bad ground issues, ground wires are snake oil. I had a set at one time, like pretty much everyone, so i'm not knocking you for doing it too, and it's certainly not hurting anything. But eventually you will more then likely sell them on the classifieds here, and realize that your car is no worse off without them.
unless I did have a bad ground issue to begin with... but to be honest I don't know. All the other stock 350's I've rode in really in are more quiet and pull less.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 AM
calin
Banned

I have a grounding kit too, and I really didn't notice any difference at all after install .
Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 AM
screener
Banned

This sounds to me that you might need to address things like, air filter, MAF sensor clean, TB clean, induction service, spark plugs, I should not need to go on, but I would start doing some routine maitenance.

Edit: did this start along with the odd exhaust note? Also did you remove anything to install this grnd kit, like the plenum cover or intake tube? Make certain you hooked up all hoses and such + did not pinch something between the likes of plenum or such.

Last edited by screener; 12-09-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Ronin82

Originally Posted by beddow
This sounds to me that you might need to address things like, air filter, MAF sensor clean, TB clean, induction service, spark plugs, I should not need to go on, but I would start doing some routine maitenance.

Edit: did this start along with the odd exhaust note? Also did you remove anything to install this grnd kit, like the plenum cover or intake tube? Make certain you hooked up all hoses and such + did not pinch something between the likes of plenum or such.
Filter is clean, new spark plugs are in hand and waiting to go in, I removed the front strut and the plastic cover, pretty much just went with the instructions that are provided on Z-Xtreme.com on the installation. I didnt think of the MAF sensor but I will check it.
Getting the spark plugs and new PCV valve installed tommorrow at the local shop so gonna inquire about it. But its always hard asking a second party about it when they aren't familiar with the way it sounded and drove before.
Unless they've had experience with an issue like this.

But IT DOES seem like it picks up better at 3200 to 5500 in 1st & 2nd gears.
Seems like a good thing on one hand I'm just concerned on the cons on the otherhand though

If and when I find out I will post it. But your thoughts and ideas are much appreciated
Old 12-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Ronin82

The cons are you wasted your money on a mod that has been pretty much been proven to do nothing
^^^^....OK!!!^^^^
Old 12-09-2009, 07:32 PM
screener
Banned

Filter is clean, new spark plugs are in hand and waiting to go in, I removed the front strut and the plastic cover, pretty much just went with the instructions that are provided on Z-Xtreme.com on the installation. I didnt think of the MAF sensor but I will check it.
Getting the spark plugs and new PCV valve installed tommorrow at the local shop so gonna inquire about it. But its always hard asking a second party about it when they aren't familiar with the way it sounded and drove before.
Unless they've had experience with an issue like this.

But IT DOES seem like it picks up better at 3200 to 5500 in 1st & 2nd gears.
Seems like a good thing on one hand I'm just concerned on the cons on the otherhand though

If and when I find out I will post it. But your thoughts and ideas are much appreciated
Thats good that you are doing some routine tune up work to the car. This way if the stalling is related you will solve the issue and make the car proud as well.

I gotta say though you are 100% not feeling a difference in the power with just adding grnd cables. Not unless you have some crazy butt dyno that can feel a 1lb-ft tq increase. My best guess is if you are indeed feeling additional power it is possibly due to better weather condition in your area. The best free mod for NA period is favorable density alt conditions.

Good luck finding the issue, and since you already have the thread up, post the outcome for future readers. I'm sure you are and will not be the only to experience this.

P.S. I just want to say my 05 350z idles a little rough at times to, but not all the time.

Last edited by screener; 12-09-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grounding kit; Taco Bell.
nuff said.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only good thing about a grounding kit, is that it can remove static noise at low levels when you have aftermarket amps installed.

Does absolutely nothing for performance.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:24 AM
Ronin82

Again as I said.... I never expected any "power gains".
I was just an effort to clean up the voltage signal and what seems as voltage losses I feel during cold weather.

The results after installing several plain ol ground wires makes me think that
I had an exsisting problem that I failed to ID with the engine or that The Grounds created a problem all in their self, and it shouldn't be that way.

Anyway I'm removing them today to see if the probs in start-up behavior continues.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Z04

Its called a placebo effect
+1
Old 12-10-2009, 06:51 AM
F34RL355
Banned

you realize taco bell is below dog grade meat? dont eat that sheet MOD your diet
Old 12-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Z You Later

well to back up the OP in a since about the grounding kit i did notice minute differences...

1. idle is a hair smoother...not really even noticeable
2. i've noticed that my gas tank sensor works more accurately (was getting that dreaded low reading when not)
3. all of the electronics/sensors seem to be more responsive/accurate

yes most will consider this a placebo affect with adding the ground kit but you have to realize that the Z out of the factory has terrible ground support. if you go to japan, they actually give an upgraded grounding kit as an option.

i will say that there is NO performance gains from this, as nobody has posted any dyno sheets reporting a gain, BUT it does clear up static noise and DOES make your car run more efficiently..so placebo affect? performance wise yes, but to the small and over-looked things, yes it has made a slight improvement.

Last edited by Z You Later; 12-10-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: New Grounding kit......