Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

act streetr litre flywheel???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:50 AM
redlinedifterzx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default act streetr litre flywheel???

ok about two years ago when i bought my car it needed a new clutch and flywheel hence to why I got my car so cheap. So i decided to buy a light weight flyWheel and and the clutch was covered by the dealer so when i took the act street lite flywheel to the shop they siad it wouldn't work because it was thinner and wasn't a dual mass flywheel compared to stock so they wouldn't install it

now two years later discovering that i still have this flywheel still in my garage
i want to know if you really cant install it in the z. which wouldn't make sense since it comes from a respectable company who knows what they're doing and designed it specifically for our cars

so can anyone out there shed light on the ACT street lite fly and if it can be installed???

Last edited by redlinedifterzx; 12-13-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 AM
nick350

i have 1 with act clutch
Old 12-13-2009, 01:33 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Grammar and spelling are atrocious. Way too much effort to decipher.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:46 PM
redlinedifterzx

Sorry it's what I get for being in a rush and typing via iPhone I think I fixed everything :/
Old 12-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the dealership didn't feel comfortable with a different flywheel going on while making a warranty repair. I can understand this completely, but odds are everything is ok with the lightened unit. But take note, the car gets really annoying and loud with a none dual mass flywheel. I've changed mine and I'm still not completely sure it was worth it. I'm finding a slightly heavier fluid (mostly the cold viscosity) helps with the chatter but doesn't remove it.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 PM
redlinedifterzx

I hear of clutch chatter all the rime but what exactly is it. Just rattling while idling or what I have a friend with a light weight flywheel and spec clutch there really isn't any difference between what he has now and stock
Old 12-14-2009, 08:12 AM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's chatter from the trans. The dual mass helps quiet it with it being so heavy and with springs to dampen the sound. A lightweight fly will increase the sound of the chatter. The lighter you go, the louder it will probably be.

Like Zazz93 said, the dealer probably didn't feel comfortable installing the new flywheel. The new flywheel should fit though. I would check with ACT to be sure you can pair it with non-ACT clutches, if that's the route you want to take.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like a constant medium to loud knock at idle. At idle it sounds like a basic engine knock sound (like loud valves) and then it sometimes can continue as you pull away and sounds like a loose exhaust pipe rattle (pipe rattle only not the actual sound of air escaping). It continues from idle to as high as 2500 rpm in bad cases. I've got mine pretty quiet now but before it was almost too much.