Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Stillen 7 Ilbs, intercooled, installed and rock solid

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 09:47 AM
skk100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen 7 Ilbs, intercooled, installed and rock solid

OK my install is complete (Stillen SC at 7 Ilbs, intercooled). Of course after I picked it up from Stillen In Costa Mesa I had to drive all the way back to Los Angeles. I picked my car up at 4:30pm. Well needless to say it started raining and California drivers have no business being on the road during the rain and during rush hour. To make a long story short it took me 3 hours to get home and I averaged about 11 miles per hour. Not really the conditions I could test out the new installs. So Sat morning I took it out. The car is a different beast. No pinging, immense amount of torque. So much torque that on one launch the housing of my rear view mirror flew off. Easy to put back but it is out of control. My buddy has a twin turbo porsche and he went out for a ride and can't believe the amount of torque on the car. Stillen also dynoed my car and it put out 336 rwhp and 298 torque. They also tested an ATI and the ATI put out about 350 rwhp. The torque curves on the 2 cars is astonishing. My car puts out about 60 ft-Ilbs more torque at take off than the ATI and the ATI doesn't catch up until above 5500 rpm. My car's torque is at 290 at 2500 rpm and doesnt deviate. As soon as I find my scanner I will post the Dyno.

I cant wait for the SPort Z test in December. We'll see how my car does.

Those guys at Stillen have been awesome and have done a great job. I havent dealt with ATI but I would recommend Stillen especially with this new intercooled 7 ILbs set up, it rocks!!!!
Old 11-02-2003, 10:00 AM
CraZee

nice job!

a roots blower (stillen) will always give you instant torque. Lots of fun and feels real responsive.

A centrifugal blower (procharger, vortech) is more of a top end rush. At 4k itll pull HARD, but below 3500 itll drive like a stock car.

Pick you poison

-Zee
Old 11-02-2003, 10:07 AM
Mikestro

you are the first to get the stillen intercooler that I have heard of. Glad to hear the install went well. Did you get a different hood?
Old 11-02-2003, 12:53 PM
G3po

Default roots or twin screw

It will be quite interesting to compare TQ and HP of the Dreamworks system with your setup, when released. Unfortunately the DW system uses an Eaton M90. Compact but not near as efficient as a Whipple or Autorotor twin screw. Isn't the Stillen blower a twin-screw rather than a roots? Will the 7psi +IC be CARB legal? Did Stillen provide an off-throttle bypass?
Old 11-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Sosa

how much was the intercooler, and can you get traction?
Old 11-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Zrated

Default Re: roots or twin screw

Originally posted by G3po
It will be quite interesting to compare TQ and HP of the Dreamworks system with your setup, when released. Unfortunately the DW system uses an Eaton M90. Compact but not near as efficient as a Whipple or Autorotor twin screw. Isn't the Stillen blower a twin-screw rather than a roots? Will the 7psi +IC be CARB legal? Did Stillen provide an off-throttle bypass?
This is from the Stillen site:

The Stillen unit is "based on an Eaton positive displacement twin rotor unit."

Oh... and it also said that the CARB cert is out the window for the 7psi kit. "off road use only"
Old 11-02-2003, 03:06 PM
ZPower

huh.....pics?
Old 11-02-2003, 08:47 PM
skk100

traction isnt an issue so far. Havent really launched it since I just got it back. Los Angeles doesnt allow for many real launches in my neighborhood. I'll report further and post some pics.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:16 AM
jritoli

Sam/Skk100:

I'm looking at my dyno results for the ATI install and I had 349RWHP and 289 ft lbs Torque. When you say they dyno'd an ATI were you referring to Stillen? They should look at the results Eric Valdes had during his install of the ATI on my Z. I'm looking for December to seeing you guys out there in December. This is gonna be great !!!

Jack
Old 11-03-2003, 09:51 AM
weslutes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you planning on doing any other mods? Maybe headers&high flow cats? Did Stillen tell you how much PSI the twin screw can put out with other pullies? jritoli-He was talking about ATI's dyno having less HP&TQ which it is lacking off the line. What happened to all those"Steallin haters" saying "F" this and "F" that? No where in sight when Stillen offers the intercooler for a fair competition with the ATI.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:42 AM
lafdclass002

Default Sound

Could you also comment on how much noise the SC makes. Bearable?
Old 11-03-2003, 11:50 AM
cougar0102

How much did the Intercooler run you?
Old 11-03-2003, 02:54 PM
VEGASTOY

does offroad use only mean that it wont pass emissions?? major issue if it wont, right?
Old 11-03-2003, 03:01 PM
lotus

Nice ! Post some pics please...
Old 11-03-2003, 03:02 PM
swifty949

yes i'd like to see some pics, of how they routed the piping for the intercooler.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:11 PM
kgb

Originally posted by CraZee
nice job!

a roots blower (stillen) will always give you instant torque. Lots of fun and feels real responsive.

-Zee

The instant response/torque you get from the Stillen blower, I believe, is the result of it being mounted directly to the motor's intake, not because it's a roots blower. This gives Stillen blower a low-end torque advantage over the ATI Procharger.

Last edited by kgb; 11-03-2003 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:15 PM
7 eleven

Originally posted by weslutes
Are you planning on doing any other mods? Maybe headers&high flow cats? Did Stillen tell you how much PSI the twin screw can put out with other pullies? jritoli-He was talking about ATI's dyno having less HP&TQ which it is lacking off the line. What happened to all those"Steallin haters" saying "F" this and "F" that? No where in sight when Stillen offers the intercooler for a fair competition with the ATI.
F that ugly hood.

To each their own but the packaging on the stillen isn't what most poeple are looking for. With the intercooler the biggest advantages of the stillen (smog, and warranty) are gone. I'm sure it costs more than the ATI does when you get done with the Hood, Blower and intercooler. I'm sure I'd rather have the response of the roots in the stillen over the centrifugal in the ATI but, I'm telling you if they would have done it right with the packaging (ie no hood mod) I'd be right there.

The low end TQ is due to the roots being a postive displacement pump while the ATI is a centrifugal pump ie. it slings the air so it needs high shaft RPM to do that well.(like a turbo)

Last edited by 7 eleven; 11-03-2003 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:16 PM
orhanz33

i wouldn't trust stillen after all the bad ish that i heard...i'm not hatin on you but isn't it a little weird how stillen took such good care of you as a customer, and you happen to the guy that's being tested by sportZ....btw, how did the housing of your rearview mirror fall off?
Old 11-03-2003, 04:06 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Congrats!

With no carb cert on the 7lb IC setup, how do you plan on passing smog? Or are you going to just tow your car to the track?
Old 11-03-2003, 04:59 PM
spazpilot

any pics yet.

Quick Reply: Stillen 7 Ilbs, intercooled, installed and rock solid