Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Stillen 7 Ilbs, intercooled, installed and rock solid

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 05:37 PM
skk100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smog? I'll figure it out in a few years!!! I hope!!!

I will take some pics tonight and post them. Intercooler runs $1500. The toital cost of all these items does run high considering I had to buy the supercharger for $3500, hood for $600, paint the hood $375, intercooler $1500. THis of course doesnt include labor.

The housing of my mirror just flew off on a launch. It was the oddest thing. I mean I play with it a lot since it costantly annoys me with its irritating rattle. So I guess it got upset at me and tried to hit me on the head. Needless to say i need to get it fixed.

Stillen did take care of me. But I must tell everyone that Steve Millen was upset when he heard that my car was pinging months before he knew anything about the sport Z test. I mean he came out and had the service dept look at it and keep it for days trying to figure out the problem. Long story short there is a problem with my car specifically. My knock sensor is a little slow to react. Stillen has been in contact wit Nissan about it and Nissan doesnt understand. Now this isn't consistent, it's just once in a while the sensor doesnt sense for a few seconds before retarding timing. Still a mystery but no ping so far.

SC noise is defintely bearable. I mean it does scream at full throtlle but normal driving you dont hear it. There really isnt a supercharger whine like I used to get on my 5.0 stang 10 years ago with the Vortech supercharger.

Ritoli - I guess Stillen dynoed the ATI since they showed me some dynos of the ATI compared to the Stillen. ATI torque curve differs greatly and they could get 350RWHP on the ATI compared to 336 on mine. THe ATI HP passed up the Stillen at about 5500 rpm if i remember.

OK let me go snap some photos of the intercooler.

Of course it rained here again in Los Angeles and I cant drive the car around until traffic and rain dies down.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:58 PM
skk100

Default PIcs

Here are some pics of the intercooler
Attached Thumbnails Stillen 7 Ilbs, intercooled, installed and rock solid-1.jpg  
Old 11-03-2003, 05:58 PM
skk100

Default pics

pics
Attached Thumbnails Stillen 7 Ilbs, intercooled, installed and rock solid-4.jpg  
Old 11-03-2003, 06:00 PM
skk100

Default pic

pic
Attached Thumbnails Stillen 7 Ilbs, intercooled, installed and rock solid-5.jpg  
Old 11-03-2003, 06:01 PM
skk100

I gotta tear off that ALT Z sticker. Dont take your car there!!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:14 PM
shil01

I must be retarded cuz i dont see any intercooler
Old 11-03-2003, 06:18 PM
skk100

more pics to come, all you see here is the coolant and tubing leading into the manifold. Actual intercooler radiator sits in front of original radiator. Also if you noticed the original radiator overflow tank is moved it now sits below the airbox. I will post some more pics. This site only allowed me to post those.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:30 PM
skk100

Default pic

pic
Attached Thumbnails Stillen 7 Ilbs, intercooled, installed and rock solid-8.jpg  
Old 11-03-2003, 08:52 PM
VEGASTOY

Cmon skk, hows the quality on the hood, ive asked in 3 different post? please tell all details of install on the hood? is it the actual stillen one? thanks bro...joe
Old 11-04-2003, 10:18 AM
skk100

The Stillen hood is decent. It isnt like the stock one but it sure is close. Minor adjustments to the mounting hardware on first install but the hood doesnt rattle or vibrate. The only problem you might have is with the visual look of the hood. I have gotten accustomed to it and like it.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:42 AM
zparts

Originally posted by kgb
The instant response/torque you get from the Stillen blower, I believe, is the result of it being mounted directly to the motor's intake, not because it's a roots blower. This gives Stillen blower a low-end torque advantage over the ATI Procharger.

An Eaton supercharger provides improved horsepower and torque, at lower engine rpm's, by pumping extra air into the engine in direct relationship to crankshaft speed.

The Eaton supercharger is essentially a Roots blower pump, with one substantial design wrinkle; each rotor has been twisted 60 degrees to form a helix. The two counter rotating rotors have three lobes, which intermesh during operation. These twisted rotors, along with specially designed inlet and outlet port geometry, help to reduce pressure variations resulting in a smooth discharge of air and a low level of noise during operation. This arrangement also improves efficiency over traditional Roots superchargers.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:29 PM
kgb

Originally posted by zparts
An Eaton supercharger provides improved horsepower and torque, at lower engine rpm's, by pumping extra air into the engine in direct relationship to crankshaft speed.

The Eaton supercharger is essentially a Roots blower pump, with one substantial design wrinkle; each rotor has been twisted 60 degrees to form a helix. The two counter rotating rotors have three lobes, which intermesh during operation. These twisted rotors, along with specially designed inlet and outlet port geometry, help to reduce pressure variations resulting in a smooth discharge of air and a low level of noise during operation. This arrangement also improves efficiency over traditional Roots superchargers.
Thanks. ...read about Eaton at http://www.capa.com.au/eaton.htm. My point is that because there's less piping between the outlet port and the engine intake with the Eaton/Stillen blower configuration, air will be force into the combustion chambers more quickly--which is true.