Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:45 PM
PSUpride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak?

First thing first - it's a 06 MT with about 34k miles.

Ran in to a little prob today. Saw some smoke under the hood coming home from work. Luckily I was close to home. Pop the hood to see antifreeze spitting everywhere. The temp gauge didn't move a hair, although I was prob 6-8 minutes from home when I first saw the smoke.

I have an Injen intake where one of the screws has "rested" against the steel line. It was not pushed hard against it, just rests there. Looks like it has eaten away (may due to heat?) enough so that a hole appeared! I've had the intake on there for 3 years.

This is how it rests normally:

When I push the cone slightly to the left here is what it looks like, you can obviously see an area where the screw has worn in to the line:

I am by no means good with cars, any ideas of how to fix it? Other than fill it up and take it to a nearby shop? Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

thats your AC line. OUCH!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First time I saw that was 6 years ago. Common problem with any long intake. Is there antifreeze in that line? Or refrigerant?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:44 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sure your not venting R-134?

Check your AC, does it get cold enough? IIRC there is a dye that can check the system for R-134 leaks.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

yeah acline rubbed through seen it a few times. its pita to replace..
Old 05-05-2010, 08:05 PM
350junkie

buy some new steel lines/fitting/mandrel and make a new one...will take time and patience.

Lame as hell that it happened like that. Find a way to get the intake away from the A/C line.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:07 AM
PSUpride

Wow thanks for the fast responses everyone. I didn't notice the A/C not working, I will check that later today. I didn't know the refrigerant (R-134?) was green? I tried to trace the steel line to see if I could replace a simple section or not...and it seemed to go on forever lol. I don't think I'm that handy...
Old 05-06-2010, 05:25 AM
jeffie7

nissan should sell that piece, just buy a new one.

here's a tip for you, next time something rubs like that, grab the line with your hands and bend it out of the way.

Its bendable =) Just be careful you dont crimp it.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:35 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by PSUpride
Wow thanks for the fast responses everyone. I didn't notice the A/C not working, I will check that later today. I didn't know the refrigerant (R-134?) was green? I tried to trace the steel line to see if I could replace a simple section or not...and it seemed to go on forever lol. I don't think I'm that handy...

Yes, R-134a = refrigerant.

You cannot replace one section, entire line must be replaced from connection to connection, and as Jared stated, its not an easy task due to its connecting locations and you must empty the system (which is pressurized, and i believe venting it off to atmosphere is illegal) if it hasnt been emptied already from the hole. Then you must replace the line, then add R-134a back into the system using a kit that you can get from autoparts store.

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 05-06-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:04 PM
350junkie

^^

yea it's illegal to vent it to atmosphere cause it's like the mother of all devices at putting holes in the ozone. And Auto-zone/O'Reilly's/NAPA will have the stuff to recharge it.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:11 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
Yes, R-134a = refrigerant.

You cannot replace one section, entire line must be replaced from connection to connection, and as Jared stated, its not an easy task due to its connecting locations and you must empty the system (which is pressurized, and i believe venting it off to atmosphere is illegal) if it hasnt been emptied already from the hole. Then you must replace the line, then add R-134a back into the system using a kit that you can get from autoparts store.
If there's a hole, its gone. If the A/C no longer works then that means there's a leak if its been leaking to the point of not working anymore, then its long gone.

If it's the line I think it is, it's a pretty easy task to do. You really think its very hard to do? have you personally done it or are you assuming its hard?

I already PMed the OP with the A/C tools needed as with a parts list of the line. looks like you have to buy it in sections that run around 110. However I believe the line he has to replace is the one all single turbo guys remove So....there might be tons of them floating around the forum for free.
I trashed mine so =( lo siento!

Last edited by jeffie7; 05-06-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:17 PM
ATX350

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffie7
If there's a hole, its gone. If the A/C no longer works then that means there's a leak if its been leaking to the point of not working anymore, then its long gone.
Strangely enough I was just talking about this with another Z member here locally. He took his line to a shop which specialized in aluminum welding. They were able to fill the hole for $20 and he reused the line.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:41 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by ATX350
Strangely enough I was just talking about this with another Z member here locally. He took his line to a shop which specialized in aluminum welding. They were able to fill the hole for $20 and he reused the line.
If he can find the right person then that's hands down the best option
Old 05-06-2010, 06:46 PM
BonesZ33

another reason why I have a RAI
Old 05-06-2010, 07:07 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another reason I'll be leaving mine stock.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:49 PM
GeauxLadyZ

If it's the line I think it is, it's a pretty easy task to do. You really think its very hard to do? have you personally done it or are you assuming its hard?
Never changed it, but if memory serves me correctly that line goes up into the brake cylinder area through the metal wall, then from there into the firewall, correct? Also, i believe it is one entire metal line from the point he damaged all the way into the firewall.

Is it really that easy to replace that line? It sure doesnt seem like it would be.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 PM
jeffie7

It connects up to the firewall if I remember correctly. As far as the metal thing where the brake cylinder is, take off the plastic brake cover and A/C line pulls straight up (once disconnected) however if he can get it patched then that's a no brainer he should do that.

Edit, pulled some pictures from my install thread.

this is where it goes into the firewall, you can use a A/C disconnect tool stick it in and it pops right out.

This is the line he broke, looking at my pictures I can tell for sure that this is NOT the line that gets removed when installing a single turbo kit. so scratch that idea of asking around.

Pretty sure that's where that line stops, just behind the air filter inlet.

Most of the job would be removing all the little clips holding the plastic covers on, I think there's 6 or so holding the brake cover on and a few more holding the piece that covers the windshield wiper motor cover.

Last edited by jeffie7; 05-06-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:25 PM
jeffie7

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
another reason why I have a RAI
Because the installer didn't check for proper clearance?
I had a pop charger on my car from 2003+ added a turbo kit on it from 2008+

Guess what, my A/C still works.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:42 PM
BonesZ33

Because the installer didn't check for proper clearance?
I had a pop charger on my car from 2003+ added a turbo kit on it from 2008+

Guess what, my A/C still works.
The Popcharger is RAI... Which what I have as well..

I am simply implying that the disadvantages of buying and owning a CAI versus a RAI. The RAI has much less complications, as well as protecting your engine with a 0 % chance of hydro lock unlike a CAI setup. Also the power gains of a RAI are better throughout the upper RPM range as opposed to more lower end to mid range power of installing a CAI. Can't argue with the price either.

Can't seem any reason why somebody would purchase a CAI over a RAI other than the fact that they are Ill informed of their functions, or maybe they have excess money they wanted to spend.

I work at a performance shop as a tech and have installed various turbo kits for 350z's as well, along with other header and intake installations for our vehicles. Modifying the a/c lines when installing aftermarket parts or kits on a 350z is very common and is needed for a trouble free car. Even thought this was of course the owners fault by not properly adjusting the a/c lines as needed, but my opinion of CAI's still stands as being what they are, junk.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:48 PM
jeffie7

I always tell people pop charger > CIA =)

cheaper and easier to install =)

Quick Reply: Coolant leak?