Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

about LSDs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default about LSDs.

i'm debating whether i should get base model or enthusiast or higher.
I'll be definitly getting a 1.5 way LSD after a year of owning the car for sometime drifting. A lot of base models are out in the market now but couldn't find a decent cars with higher models. I test drove them. So my questions are, is enthusiast model same as a base model with 1.5 way LSD?
Does 1.5 way LSD have some kind of TCS or VDC ability?
if 1.5 LSD is installed on enthusiast model, does the car lose its TCS?
Do you recommend me getting a base model with 1.5 LSD or wait for awhile until decent models come out?

thank you guys!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:38 AM
Xlr82x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zRiot
i'm debating whether i should get base model or enthusiast or higher.
I'll be definitly getting a 1.5 way LSD after a year of owning the car for sometime drifting. A lot of base models are out in the market now but couldn't find a decent cars with higher models. I test drove them. So my questions are, is enthusiast model same as a base model with 1.5 way LSD?
Does 1.5 way LSD have some kind of TCS or VDC ability?
if 1.5 LSD is installed on enthusiast model, does the car lose its TCS?
Do you recommend me getting a base model with 1.5 LSD or wait for awhile until decent models come out?

thank you guys!
hey take a look around the site for the answers you seek before posting. I have read the answers to all of these questions on this site.

But to some it up, this is what I got out of everything. There are more differences between the base and the enthusiasts than the LSD. If you plan on doing more mods and not leaving it close to stock then I suggest the base. There is no reason to pay a higher price for a better LSD that comes in the enthusiast if your just going to throw an aftermarket one in there. But if you want the other options that the enthuisast gets that the base doesn't then maybe you want to go that way.... Key example - leather seats, traction control, cruise control, etc... are in the enthusiast model not the base. So it depends on what you are looking to do in the end.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:59 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

If you plan on legitimately Drifting the car at all then get the Base and use the extra $ saved on coil overs and LSD of ur choice..
Old 05-28-2010, 06:23 AM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't let the VLSD option sway you into not buying a base model. The VLSD is useless for even daily driving use after you have some mileage on the car. It's also non-servicable (there are a few 240 guys that have changed the fluid inside, but its far from practical or easy) An aftermarket LSD in a base car will have farrr better grip than any VDC/TCS/VLSD car. Its a night-and-day difference.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:51 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A lot of base models are out in the market now
Not true. 9 out of 10 350Zs on the road are LSD equipped. The odds against finding a Base are 10-1.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:58 AM
sir_vq

The vlsd is fully serviceable nissan sells all the clutch disk+ bearing +oil seals and various shims what makes it not serviceable....if you have a base like i do then youll have to use a lsd that works with the open axle splines or buy a pumpkin and or splines from a vlsd in order to install in a base.... I've had a tomei for about two days and like it alot. I know nismo makes one the works specialy with the open diff

Originally Posted by intimazy
don't let the vlsd option sway you into not buying a base model. The vlsd is useless for even daily driving use after you have some mileage on the car. It's also non-servicable (there are a few 240 guys that have changed the fluid inside, but its far from practical or easy) an aftermarket lsd in a base car will have farrr better grip than any vdc/tcs/vlsd car. Its a night-and-day difference.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:18 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i take corners hard sometimes without really realizing..so i'm affraid no tcs or vdc will loose rear end and crash..
Old 05-28-2010, 04:02 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sir_vq
The vlsd is fully serviceable nissan sells all the clutch disk+ bearing +oil seals and various shims what makes it not serviceable....if you have a base like i do then youll have to use a lsd that works with the open axle splines or buy a pumpkin and or splines from a vlsd in order to install in a base.... I've had a tomei for about two days and like it alot. I know nismo makes one the works specialy with the open diff
Where are these clutch disks? My VLSD is entirely enclosed and as far as I know, it has NO clutch disks inside. Shims, seals, bearing are all available for the pumpkin. I have never seen VLSD replacement parts or even the silicon fluid. I wouldn't have purchased a Quaife and base stub axles and swapped them if I knew the VLSD was rebuildable or in any way fixable.

edit:
I think our definition of VLSD is not the same. I'm talking about the VLSD unit itself, not the surrounding pumpkin and final drive ring and pinion.

Last edited by INTIMAZY; 05-28-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: aha moment
Old 05-29-2010, 03:38 PM
cubic202

i take corners hard sometimes without really realizing..so i'm affraid no tcs or vdc will loose rear end and crash..
I bought my 05 base in January knowing that I would have to add a LSD. The base as it is a great Z; it’s the lightest Z out there and what it lacks will only make you a better driver. The skinny 17”s and the lack of electronic aids and LSD will force you to become a better driver.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:23 AM
sir_vq

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Where are these clutch disks? My VLSD is entirely enclosed and as far as I know, it has NO clutch disks inside. Shims, seals, bearing are all available for the pumpkin. I have never seen VLSD replacement parts or even the silicon fluid. I wouldn't have purchased a Quaife and base stub axles and swapped them if I knew the VLSD was rebuildable or in any way fixable.

TRYING TO UPLOAD A PDF THAT SHOWS IT ALL, OR ATLEAST WHAT IM REFERING TO.....

edit:
I think our definition of VLSD is not the same. I'm talking about the VLSD unit itself, not the surrounding pumpkin and final drive ring and pinion.
Originally Posted by cubic202
I bought my 05 base in January knowing that I would have to add a LSD. The base as it is a great Z; it’s the lightest Z out there and what it lacks will only make you a better driver. The skinny 17”s and the lack of electronic aids and LSD will force you to become a better driver.
^^^I AGREE BEEN ON TOMEI TWO WAY FOR ABOUT A WEEK IN MY (BASE MODEL) CAR AND IT IS VERY EASY TO OVERSTEER GOING AROUND THE ENTRANCEES OR EXIT ON HIGHWAY SEEMS LIKE ANYTHING MORE THAN A COUPLE OF DEGREES IS GONNA BE CURTAINS FOR ME.......BUT I CAN FEEL HOW IM MORE ATTENTIVE NOW AND I KNOW IN THE LONG RUN IT WILL MAKE ME BETTER OF A DRIVER.....ONCE I START TO UNDERSTAND THE FEEDBACK THE CAR IS GIVING TO ME

TOMEI