Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

"squirting" engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:23 AM
wsa350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "squirting" engine noise

I have an 2008 350z with about 23k on it. I have noticed this noise for at least a few months, but have been unsuccessful in my attempt to figure it out.

Basically the noise sounds like a “squirt”. Like if you took a squirt bottle and squirted it about once every 0.8s to 1.0s (at idle). If I rev the engine up to about 2 grand, the noise speeds up. It is definitely not the injectors ticking and is emanating from the front of the engine (between coolant tank and engine). I know a lot of people don’t use squirt to define a noise as it implies fluids leaking, but it best describes the noise. I check fluids on a regular basis and park in the same spot at work; I haven’t noticed any leaks.

The stealership told me it was because I have K&N air filters (stock block filters).. I kinda new it was BS when they told me, but I went home and put the stock Frams back in and it still made the noise.

So my question is, do any of your guy’s Z’s make this noise? If not, any suggestions on what it may be or has anyone had this problem? Any help/advice/suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 AM
LuciaPwNs

maybe you/they put to much oil in? check to see if its ridiculously high...
Old 06-04-2010, 10:00 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The time between the squirts is about the same time it takes for the serpentine belt to go all the way around. Take a really close look at the belt to see if there's a torn place or something stuck in the grooves.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:29 AM
kacz07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a revolutions-per-minute equpiment related issue.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 PM
wsa350z

I tell you what.. perfect timing lol. I moved my car from my gf's neighbor's driveway to hers this morning, read this, and went out to check it. At first I noticed a fray in the belt. Then noticed a string about 18" from the belt just chilling between some of the pullies. Pulled it out, spent about 5 minutes trying to cut the frayed end and finally got it trimmed down to a little stub.

I started it up and let it run about 5 minutes and reved it a few times. I didn't notice the noise at all. Granted I was right beside her Central air unit, but I didn't hear it. Hopefully you guys won't be hearing again from me about this lol.

And hopefully the belt doesn't snap lol.. I have a fiero and had the drivebelt snap and had to get it towed home. Those cars are notorious for the belt squealing if its not super tight, so its been a pain in my butt.

Thanks a lot for the ideas