Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

B&M Short shifter review....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:59 AM
driftinvq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
It is my personal car at the shop that has the NISMO adjustable short shifter installed and I am the one who actually installed it.

I think I know where the confusion lies here. For some reason you are under the impression that the NISMO adjustable short shifter achieves it's "fictional" shorter throw length by way of a shorter shift lever than the stock unit. If that is your assumption (which it looks to be based on your diagram above) you are incorrect. I have physically held a stock shifter assembly in my hand while holding a NISMO adjustable shifter assembly in the other and the shift levers are indeed the same length. In fact the only design difference between the NISMO adjustable and the stock unit is the adjustable collar that allows the NISMO unit to be adjusted to one of four desired shifter heights.

So essentially the NISMO adjustable short shifter is doing exactly what you have described within your expectations of a short shifter. It lengthens or shortens the distance from the pivot ball to the top of the shifter thereby increasing or decreasing the shift throw length. I hope this brings some clarification to this matter.

As an added point, installation of the NISMO adjustable short shifter required no grinding, cutting or filing. The only things necessary that were not included were two wrench sizes and some grease (I used white lithium as it was the first thing I saw in our shop cabinet).
lol...I'm gonna stop arguing with you two because you're proving my point without me needing to say anything.

Regardless, I bought the TWM performance unit, and I can't wait to get it. Looks like a quality piece and they claim 0 noise or vibration, with a real throw reduction of 37% and a height reduction of 0.25inches which I think is perfect. Should be sweet.

Last edited by driftinvq; 06-10-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This has obviously gone over your head so I'm going to leave it at that. Enjoy whatever you settle upon.

<---- Thinks more physics and science classes should be mandatory h.s. and college curriculum.

Last edited by Kwame; 06-10-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 AM
TheBlue350z

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

there are soo many bad reviews of the B&M. i have one and i love it. It works great and have had no problems with it. I dont know if people cant install it right or what?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:56 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what the OP is talking about.
Attached Thumbnails B&amp;M Short shifter review....-short-throw-shifter-illustration.jpg  
Old 06-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by T_K
This is what the OP is talking about.
Ok. So you are saying that a "true" short shifter in your opinion which you feel the NISMO is not accomplishes a shorter throw by placing the pivot point closer in distance to the driver's hand than to the transmission. Is that correct?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Kwame

I feel like some are under the impression that the NISMO shifter lever that goes through the pivot ball (pivot point) is collapsible or changeable in length. It is a solid shifter lever that has the ability to slide through the pivot ball. When you shorten the length of the lever on the side above the pivot ball thereby decreasing the shifter's throw for the driver you are simultaneously increasing the length of the lever on the opposite side of the pivot ball (transmission side). This will move the pivot point up or in a positive y- direction if we were looking at it on a graph.

Last edited by Kwame; 06-11-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 PM
T_K

I feel like some are under the impression that the NISMO shifter lever that goes through the pivot ball (pivot point) is collapsible or changeable in length. It is a solid shifter lever that has the ability to slide through the pivot ball. When you shorten the length of the lever on the side above the pivot ball thereby decreasing the shifter's throw for the driver you are simultaneously increasing the length of the lever on the opposite side of the pivot ball (transmission side). This will move the pivot point up or in a positive y- direction if we were looking at it on a graph.
Removed

Last edited by T_K; 06-11-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:56 PM
MODDEDZ

Op, if you want cheap, then go with Circuit Sports. Kinda notchy and reverse is a pain, but it's def shorter and easy to install. I swapped it for the Nismo and wether or not it's a true short throw (which it is, lol) it'll fool you. Nismo, ftw.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:14 PM
T_K

I think this is where the confusion is coming from. Honestly, I haven't manipulated any of them in-hand, to make a technical statement. I think I get what you're describing about the Nismo though, which is actually a more complex design to picture than what any of the single shot photos would suggest about the piece.

A little google searching has revealed what I believe to be a similar design. Verify if this is the same method the Nismo unit uses.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Kwame

^ BOOM! You made my night.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:20 PM
T_K

Does anyone make one that retains the length of the drivers end, while extending the transmission end only?

From the looks of it, it seems like it uses a thermoplastic ball-joint. Or is the sliding collar metal as well?

Last edited by T_K; 06-11-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Kwame

I'm really not sure. I'd have to measure them. You want a shorter throw but with your hand positioned at the same height correct?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by T_K
From the looks of it, it seems like it uses a thermoplastic ball-joint. Or is the sliding collar metal as well?
I'd have to go back to my car and take another look at it. I do remember the NISMO unit overall being composed of more plastic than the OEM unit. I am almost positive that the ball-joint is plastic as well but I'm not 100%.

Last edited by Kwame; 06-12-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Dammit! Now i'm going to have to buy one!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for the pic TK

the stillen is just a touch shorter in length vs stock on the driver side
Old 12-22-2010, 10:44 AM
TWM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This spiralled out of control fast lol. In any case, our short shifter has 0 noise, is made completely of steel, guaranteed to fit with no modifications, and is guaranteed for life.

If you would like to check out our review on the different options available for a short shifter for the 350Z/370Z and G35/G37, this thread is great:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...rformance.html

Our short shifter can be picked up at this link:

http://www.twmperformance.com/shorts...rtshifters.htm

Patrick
Team TWM Performance
Old 12-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Quamen

I personally love my B&M Shifter...

My own bump for an old thread
Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Wow, lots of serious mis-information in this thread, and it's all from the same guy. At least the rest of us have a clue as to what's going on, and understand that you can change the length of either end of the lever to achieve the desired effect. Basic, and I mean really basic, high school level physics.

FWIW, I've had the Nismo shifter in my '08 for several months now, and couldn't be more pleased with it. Simple installation, no slop or vibrations, and while it took me a few days to get used to, the shortest setting feels just perfect for me now. Of course, a shorter lever requires a bit more effort to move, and mine's a little notchy with a cold gearbox (and the appropriate Redline oil), but I'm in Florida and it doesn't get cold here very often. if I had another Z, I'd buy the same shifter again without a second thought.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:19 PM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlue350z
there are soo many bad reviews of the B&M. i have one and i love it. It works great and have had no problems with it. I dont know if people cant install it right or what?
Originally Posted by Chebosto
i had the B&M unit from pretty much when it was released. version 1 and version 2 (version 2 being the updated reverse nub)

i never had installation issues with it, granted you followed the alignment procedures they suggested and had to file the portion of the shifter assembly on the transmission side to account for the reverse, then everything went fine. slightly notchy to get into gear, but nothing too obnoxious that you couldnt live with.

it was a very short throw vs OEM, some people have complained about buzzing noises under hard WOT, but that sometimes was alieviated by re-adjustment of the gold triangle and changing shift *****. the ball enclosure is self lubricating, so it gets smoother the longer you use it.

i dont understand why you had so many issues with it..
I'm in the same boat as you two. I've had the B&M installed for one summer. I've also got a Blox 490LE shift **** that was installed on the stock shifter and on the B&M. I never tried the B&M with the stock ****.

I put it in with a floor jack on my garage floor. No issues whatsoever with the installation. Took well under an hour.

The shifter itself is tighter than stock with less free play and sloppyness.

The shift pattern is also tighter feeling, and more precise feeling.

It does not rattle or make any noise.

Over all I'm extremely happy with it and I would give it a 10/10.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:36 PM
ian99rt

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I can vouch for the TWM shifter, 1st mod I did on my Z and absolutely love it, installed perfectly, tightened up shifts a lot, and just the right amount of throw reduction.

Originally Posted by TWM Performance
This spiralled out of control fast lol. In any case, our short shifter has 0 noise, is made completely of steel, guaranteed to fit with no modifications, and is guaranteed for life.

If you would like to check out our review on the different options available for a short shifter for the 350Z/370Z and G35/G37, this thread is great:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...rformance.html

Our short shifter can be picked up at this link:

Patrick
Team TWM Performance