The birth of a short shifter ---- TWM Performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:28 PM
TWM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation The birth of a short shifter ---- TWM Performance

TWM Performance and the Nissan 350Z/370Z and G35/G37 short shifter

As many of you may now know, we released our Nissan 350Z/370Z and Infiniti G35/G37 short shifter a little over 3 months ago. It’s a great product with awesome features that have never been seen before in the world of Nissan short shifters! So I just wanted to make this thread to give you all a little background on how this awesome piece came to be, and why we designed it the way we did.

Like many of our designs, we started by doing research on the 350Z to see exactly what people wanted from their shifter and if there were any weak points to the construction of the OEM shifter and short shifters already on the market. What we found was quite surprising; there didn’t seem to be 1 shifter that the Nissan community as a whole liked. So we started to look at why!

Basically we noticed 3 major problems with the OEM shifter. The first was that the lower pivot on the shifter was of very low quality. Made from nylon bushings with a rotating metal sleeve, the bushings are prone to crack and compress which make for a loose fit as time goes by. Furthermore, these types of bushings systems allow dirt and grime to enter which speeds up the deterioration process of the bushing, and will eventually make for a rough and imprecise shifting action. With the earliest 350Z’s now starting to reach 7-8 years of age, it’s very common to see Z’s with over 80 000 miles on them. At these types of mileage, you can bet that your shifter sleeve and bushing are begging to be changed.

The second flaw with the OEM shifter is the OEM vibration dampener. Made from a very flimsy rubber, while it may function well to reduce rattle, it adds to the imprecision of the stock shifter. Seeing as everyone always likes a tight shifter, we knew we had to improve on this design.

Finally, while the stock Z shifter is fairly short for an OEM shifter, you can always go shorter! Many people AutoX with their Z’s and loosing time in between shifts is never a good thing. Also with shifter extensions becoming more and more popular in the racing world, a short shifter is always welcome to bring those shifts back to a reasonable throw.

Next we looked at the aftermarket short shifters currently on the market and we notice two major problems. The first issue was that nearly every aftermarket short shifter would rattle and buzz making an incredibly annoying sound at certain RPMs. The second major issue was the notchyness and stiff feeling of the short shifters on the market already. In some cases there were other issues like parts simply not fitting, bad clips, pins, and even shifter shafts breaking.

With all of this information, off to work we went!

Part 1: OEM vs TWM

First of all, we addressed the issues with the stock shifter. The nylon bushing design was something we needed to improve upon therefore we decided to go with a high quality ball bearing and metal sleeve system. With this ball bearing system, we would assure the smoothest possible shift with the minimum resistance. Furthermore, the ball bearings we used were sealed which would prevent any dirt from entering the rotating assembly and causing rough shifts over time! That means with a TWM short shifter, you’re guaranteed a smooth and tight shift for the rest of your days!

After addressing the lower pivot point issue, we tackled the next problem with the OEM shifter; the vibration dampening system. We needed to find a material that would be soft enough to absorb the vibrations from the shifter, but solid enough to make for precise and solid shifts. After many months of R&D, we developed a bushing made of an industrial grade rubber that would meet these requirements. Even after nearly 1 year of testing, our shifters have not had one rattle and provide a clean, solid, and precise shift, every time!

Now for one of the most important parts; the throw! The throw of the 350Z needed a bit of improvement so we provided a 35% throw reduction for the 370Z and G37, and a 37% reduction for the 350Z and G35. How did we come to this number you ask? Well we didn’t pick it out of a hat as some of you may be thinking! This specific short shifter underwent heavy testing since it had so many new features. We developed many prototypes and with the prototypes we also tried different throw reductions ranging from 25% to 45%. Right in the middle is where our test car drivers and customers felt it was perfect!

Finally, we included a few more details in the short shifter kit that we developed for the Z to make it go above and beyond the call of duty. With every short shifter kit, we include a stainless steel spacer, new extended bolts, and two solid stainless steel bushings for the lower pivot point to replace the soft nylon OEM ones. This means that the stainless steel bushings will never corrode which will assure you a smooth shift forever!

350Z/G35 short shifter
370Z/G37 Short Shifter

www.twmperformance.com

PART 2 COMING SOON!!! Stay tuned!

PART 2 on PAGE 3!

Patrick
Team TWM Performance

Last edited by TWM Performance; 11-19-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:52 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Thats so sexy! One of my favorite mods to my 3000gt was a short shifter. Maybe in the future I'll pick one of these bad boys up, but too rich for my blood right now.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:28 PM
musubi

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up. Although I'm satisfied with my current OEM shifter, it'd be interesting to hear some feedback from buyers. It was seeing all the negative feedback on other short shifters that turned me off the idea.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:46 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,296 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Interesting , i may look into one for my car before long.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kind of curious.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:37 PM
G4nismo

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

hmmm, this looks very promising. Seems like its very well designed and thought out. I might pick one up depending on the feedback from buyers. Any takers?

How long is the sale for?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 PM
DC350z10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interested, might buy sometime in the future
Old 10-19-2010, 06:01 AM
TWM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hey guys,

This short shifter is currently at regular price and available directly on our site (links on the original post).

We made this informative post because we get a lot of questions about our 350Z/370Z short shifter, how does it compare to the stock unit, how different is it from other shifters that were on the market before ours, etc. We wanted to have all the information gathered in one place so everyone can read about what makes our short shifter a great upgrade for your car and exactly what went on the R&D of the product, some information not enough manufacturers provide about new products!

We'll update this post at the end of the week with even more information!

Thanks,

Frank
Team TWM Performance
Old 10-19-2010, 06:27 AM
BrazenZ

Great looking product, will you ever come up a "T" shifting handle?

Last edited by BrazenZ; 10-19-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 AM
350Zenophile

Love to see thoughtful products being brought to market but your product looks crooked in these photos:

You can see it better if you run lines between the base and top:
The birth of a short shifter ---- TWM Performance-h8eoj.jpg
Old 10-19-2010, 12:25 PM
TWM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

The angle of the picture and the lenses effect on this picture is not the best. We'll take a better picture with the other camera we have at the shop for a better result!

The shifter is not crooked, it's simply the picture.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks cool...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:17 PM
kramykram

wow lol thats half the cost of a tranny.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:17 AM
BrazenZ

Where do you buy a CD009 trans for $600?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
2fasst

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Craigslist all day long ...j/k

But $250..wow. I guess I'm the only poor guy here
Old 10-20-2010, 11:22 AM
kramykram

Originally Posted by BrazenZ
Where do you buy a CD009 trans for $600?
who said anything about a cd009. haha i was being sarcastic sir. because of how pricey it is. as said above im just happy with the stock shifter.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:24 AM
kramykram

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Love to see thoughtful products being brought to market but your product looks crooked in these photos:

You can see it better if you run lines between the base and top:
looks more like an optical illusion. it does look bent. but oh well. someone buy one and let us know how it is.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:39 PM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waiting for a review or someone parting out the Z scene and sell it used.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:57 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quality looks top-notch. Can someone please just buy and install this already so we can al know what's up?
Old 10-20-2010, 03:25 PM
TWM Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the interest in the shifter. This piece has been on sale now for about 4 months and we've sold a lot of them; many to people on this forum! We'll try to get somof these people to chime in for you guys.

If anyone has any questions about the product, feel free to ask!

Thanks,
Patrick
TWM Performance

Quick Reply: The birth of a short shifter ---- TWM Performance