Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

LSD 1.5 or 2 way?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
acharney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD 1.5 or 2 way?

Ok, so I have been trying to find out which setting is best for the LSD I want to buy. I am looking at the Cusco, which I know can change this setting, but surely would like to figure out which way to set it before installing it...

From what I hear, the 1.5-way is a better all around daily driver/compromise yet also good for track/autox/drift events. The 2-way is supposed to be much better for drifting. Yet, the 2-way is supposed to promote understeer. My quesiton is this; since drifting is all about oversteer, and the 2-way promotes understeer, what gives? Why would someone into drifting want an LSD that promotes understeer? I mean, you want the rear to slide, not the front... I am sure I am just not understanding something here, so if someone can explain this to me it would be great.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I only use my car for spirited driving and have just started to learn some drifting (with factoy LSD -which is slipping). I may at some point attend an event or two when I get better (drift and/or auto-x), but this car is not used as a daily driver -when I drive it, it is for fun/sport.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultimately what would you like to do? The difference in the 2 is the way LSD locks up, 1.5 has locks up the rear on heavy acceleration but not deceleration, and the 2-way locks up in both acceleration and deceleration.

Do you want to ultimately end up doing drifting or road racing? You can drift with a 1.5 no problem you just have to stay on it more because when you let off it grips up, so its more forgiving which is why it is often used for road racing. 2-way gives a harder lock and when you decel so you generally use it for drifting or real aggressive driving on the track since you will have a strong lock.

Drifting or Road Racing, which is more important to you? Either way get an LSD its one of the best mod's i have ever done to my car.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:33 PM
acharney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that the 1.5-way also locks up under deceleration but not as much as 2-way? (I read somewhere it was like 50% of what a 2-way would be)

What I will be doing more of is the question. To be honest I am not quite sure, but want something that is versitile and good for both. Sounds like if I go either way I can't really lose, especially since I can take it out and set it one way or another if I want...

Are there a lot of people who do road racing who use 2-way? I was under the impression the 1.5 is better for that. But if 2-way is also good for that I might as well set it at 2-way and be good to go for drifting and road racing.

One other question I have is about the lock percent. I'm not quite sure what I would want it set at and what exactly it does, although from reading it sounds like setting it between 60%-80% seems to be the way to go. But why not 100%? Is this just the percent that when locked that it allows the wheels to spin at slightly different speeds, i.e. if it is set at 80% lock, when locked then there may be a 20% difference in the two wheel speeds? If so, then it sounds like 100% would be great for drifting, but not so great for road racing...
Old 06-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will still have lock with a limited amount of slip, but you only get full lock under heavy acceleration. When it comes down to it, i wouldnt really concern yourself with percents, the level of complexity will almost never be reached by regular car guys like us unless you have some serious testing scenarios and full racing conditions.

Basically it all comes down to driver feedback and feeling when you drive. Im just one of the guys at Gruppe-S and i have taken my S14 out drifting on a KAAZ 1.5 LSD and since KAAZ is somewhat aggressive i felt it was a good in between a road racing 1.5 and a 2-way and the half-lock you get under deceleration with a 1.5 is pretty forgiving. A buddy of mine runs Redline Time Attack in a SR20DET S14 with good power and really good suspension and he said his 2-way is a bit too aggressive for road racing, when he goes over large hills and hits the decline the car arcs too deepand he loses time.

but if you really like drifting i say go 2-Way, ultimately either one will be a huge improvement on the cars handling, and you're right either way you go you will be happy.

Last edited by Gruppe-S; 06-11-2010 at 03:38 PM.