Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Failing Slave Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:35 AM
GuardDrgn86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failing Slave Cylinder?

I have an 05 35th and relpaced the clutch/flywheel. bled the system with DOT4 and theres no air in the lines as it was a force flush. Clutch pedal only returns half way and theres only pressure at half way. It did it with the stock clutch before I replaced with the new one. The Master Cylinder was bench bled and worked fine, no leaks. I searched and it seems it could be the Slave Cylinder? Not sure how to fully desrcibe the issue except to say that I only have pressure half way in the clutch pedal. Any an all suggestions could be helpful.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 AM
GuardDrgn86

Any suggestions? The car is driveable at this point but its a bit tricky. Again I only have half pressure in the clutch pedal, just enough to engage/disengage the clutch plate.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 AM
J D

Subscribing. I have a similar problem on my 06. Occasionally (usually when it's cold) it will "stick" at halfway. There was a slave cylinder recall on the 07s but nothing I have found for ours.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 AM
MDHRZ

Sounds like the CSC is failing. Nissan recommends you change that every time you swap the clutch/flywheel. Shouldn't cost much to fix if you do the install by yourself.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:35 PM
GuardDrgn86

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
Sounds like the CSC is failing. Nissan recommends you change that every time you swap the clutch/flywheel. Shouldn't cost much to fix if you do the install by yourself.
That was my assumption. After driving today for a long period of time pressure came back a little more than half way but there is still a lot play in the pedal. I going to adjust the pedal to see if I can reduce the amount of play in the pedal. MD are there any other symptoms to a failing CSC besides decreased pressure in the clutch pedal?
Old 06-15-2010, 06:03 AM
kramykram

so did you force reverse bleed? if the pedal adjust does not work. i would reverse bleed. i have suggested doing this many times. but no one has ever gave feedback.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 AM
westpak
SFZCC

he has an 05 so no CSC on that one.

I was having an issue similar and I had changed the slave cylinder a couple of years ago or about 20k miles, so being that the car is almost 8 years old I decided to go ahead and change the slave and master.

But after install it was forced bled and was not acting right, and the next day started to stick again, so I went ahead and did the traditional bleeding, which is just attaching a hose and container to the slave cylinder, pumping the clutch 5 times and holding, then open up the bleeder to allow air out and repeat as necessary making sure the reservoir doesn't run too low

after doing that procedure 2-3 times all is fine.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:32 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by westpak
he has an 05 so no CSC on that one.
Didn't know it changed for 05.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Didn't know it changed for 05.
they only started using them on the 07+

06 and before have the regular external slave cylinder
Old 06-15-2010, 05:23 PM
GuardDrgn86

Originally Posted by kramykram
so did you force reverse bleed? if the pedal adjust does not work. i would reverse bleed. i have suggested doing this many times. but no one has ever gave feedback.
originally when we changed to the DOT4 we vacuum bled and it showed no results. I'm not to familiar with "reverse force bleed". Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to adjust the pedal as my rear main seal decided to start leaking but I'll try to adjust it this coming weekend as well as do the traditional pump bleed and see if that has any affect on pedal feel.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:38 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by westpak
they only started using them on the 07+

06 and before have the regular external slave cylinder
I know 07+ are different from the 03-06. Didn't know about the external slave cylinder for the previous models. The symptoms he described seemed to be the same as the slave cylinder issues with the 07+ which is why I made that suggestion. Thanks for the clarification though .
Old 06-17-2010, 05:17 AM
GuardDrgn86

quick update: seems that there is still air in the lines. Manual bleed the system by pumping the pedal and had some air come out. I guess with the roller coaster style clutch line there are many places where air can get trapped.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:15 AM
westpak
SFZCC

yeah the manual bleed is the best
Old 06-17-2010, 10:59 AM
kramykram

you actually just pump fluid thru the slave till it blows out the top. when i have did this, i would pump it full of fluid from underneath then bleed as normal. then pump fluid back thru the slave.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Brett@AwesomeZ
Vendor - Former Vendor

yea, air bleeders are good to get you a good pedal to work with, but you just have to pump and bleed from there and release 3-4 more times even after you stop seeing air just for good measure.

In the future, to check if your slave cyl. is bad you can just pull back the rubber boot, if there is fluid in there then it is leaking past the piston and therefore no good.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:40 PM
GuardDrgn86

Originally Posted by Brett@AwesomeZ
yea, air bleeders are good to get you a good pedal to work with, but you just have to pump and bleed from there and release 3-4 more times even after you stop seeing air just for good measure.

In the future, to check if your slave cyl. is bad you can just pull back the rubber boot, if there is fluid in there then it is leaking past the piston and therefore no good.
Thanks, I'll probably check it this weekend. At this point the clutch pedal needs to be adjusted as there is more pressure. Plus I'll probably bleed again just to make sure everything is back to normal.