Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Outcome Predictions needed (HR Cams)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah 1100-1200 for a warm idle is a little much especially for cars with that much manipulation available and a fairly modest duration. But I've never worked on a HR so maybe its a little tougher to tune than I think. If you run into any tune related issues like odd overheating, pinging, or drivability gaps or holes in the powerband all while the motor seems to be running well otherwise look for a new tuner.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:36 AM
MM'08_350Z

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

The car already threw and SES light on and I took it to an advance autoparts store and their little computer read a misfire he couldn't tell me which cylinder it was though. I also noticed a little puff of smoke whn I start it up all sluggish and it only happens when the engine is hot if the engine is cold it starts up perfect but idle is still pretty high. I just have a feeling its going to be the stupid injectors.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Half or my350z told u not to use the injectors. The puff is probably excess fuel. Hopefully your not washing down the cylinder.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 AM
biggersNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always add a fuel pump and get an e85 tune in order to not waste the cost of your injectors.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 AM
biggersNISMO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But, going back to stock injectors is the better choice for you
Old 08-09-2011, 03:39 PM
MM'08_350Z

Originally Posted by biggersNISMO
But, going back to stock injectors is the better choice for you
I just got off the phone with Uprev and it seems like they are trying everything possible to work with those injectors. I have no Idea why they are trying that. The tuner said he was going to checkout my map to see what he can do different. I don't even have Cypher Wire or the Uprev software, how the hell does he think I'm going to flash my ECU. I also think going back to stock injectors and a new tune will make my Zs symptoms go away.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

I had to back track through your thread alittle, I thought I recognized your problem. Once I saw the picture of the car on the lift, I knew it was the car I was thinking about. I know about your car and I would be happy to help you.

I have been to Uprev in Austin 3 times, and I am going back for a regrettable 4th monday... Rich is a complete idiot... I mean, I am blown away how he thinks... the tech is smart, like really smart but still really new on Nissans, but Rich is hold him back... I worked with him when I was having issues with my car. Rich basically cost me $750 because he is an idiot... I got into a good long talk about your car, one time while the tech was working on it for the fuel issue. What I can tell you, is they swapped a fuel line from another customer's car and made sure it flowed well because Rich though the line was kinked... You have good fuel pressure to your regulator (I was there helping him do it) you were holding about 51psi (is this good?) with yours and the other lines. They said it was too small of injectors, I called ********, but Rich of course is right about everything...

My last tune from them, I didn't even make it home before my car was stalling, and they cut my dyno runs short at 7k rpm when the line was still climbing... I want to get this tune fixed and be done with that shop... I am not saying uprev software is bad at all, but the shop is ********... If I were you, run from uprev in Austin and get it fixed right somewhere where you won't continue to get anally raped.

PM me if you want to talk about this more.

PS, at least you got a chunk of your car repainted for free!

In conclusion, I am pretty unimpressed with Uprev in Austin, I do believe that Jared is a good tuner, but I would not have them do any kind of work to my car EVER again except for pure dyno services done by Jared ONLY! I got my machine work done in Fort Worth, and everything was PERFECT, no issues, and about half the cost of IPP (I like IPP, I bought 80% of my parts for my engine build from them). I think you have had a really crappy run of luck, and I hope the last of it is on the horizon for you. Your story is far worse than mine...
Also, that GTR is the shop's car, they were developing the uprev software for it.

Last edited by Classy; 08-13-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:45 PM
MM'08_350Z

Originally Posted by Classy
I had to back track through your thread alittle, I thought I recognized your problem. Once I saw the picture of the car on the lift, I knew it was the car I was thinking about. I know about your car and I would be happy to help you.

I have been to Uprev in Austin 3 times, and I am going back for a regrettable 4th monday... Rich is a complete idiot... I mean, I am blown away how he thinks... the tech is smart, like really smart but still really new on Nissans, but Rich is hold him back... I worked with him when I was having issues with my car. Rich basically cost me $750 because he is an idiot... I got into a good long talk about your car, one time while the tech was working on it for the fuel issue. What I can tell you, is they swapped a fuel line from another customer's car and made sure it flowed well because Rich though the line was kinked... You have good fuel pressure to your regulator (I was there helping him do it) you were holding about 51psi (is this good?) with yours and the other lines. They said it was too small of injectors, I called ********, but Rich of course is right about everything...

My last tune from them, I didn't even make it home before my car was stalling, and they cut my dyno runs short at 7k rpm when the line was still climbing... I want to get this tune fixed and be done with that shop... I am not saying uprev software is bad at all, but the shop is ********... If I were you, run from uprev in Austin and get it fixed right somewhere where you won't continue to get anally raped.

PM me if you want to talk about this more.

PS, at least you got a chunk of your car repainted for free!

In conclusion, I am pretty unimpressed with Uprev in Austin, I do believe that Jared is a good tuner, but I would not have them do any kind of work to my car EVER again except for pure dyno services done by Jared ONLY! I got my machine work done in Fort Worth, and everything was PERFECT, no issues, and about half the cost of IPP (I like IPP, I bought 80% of my parts for my engine build from them). I think you have had a really crappy run of luck, and I hope the last of it is on the horizon for you. Your story is far worse than mine...
Also, that GTR is the shop's car, they were developing the uprev software for it.
I just got back from there. (5 hour drive). I do not know where else to take it. I've been talking with someone at JTran but I'm not sure I'm ready to drive even farther away. I do appreciate everything you just told me cuz I told him to put my stock injectors back on and he still didn't do it and tuned it like that. He said my car needed bigger injectors for the power I was making but I've seen people making more power than me using stock injectors. I'm so confused.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Classy

I am going on monday to get mine tuned... again... I will talk to the tech and find out wtf is going on with your car, he is pretty honest with me
Old 08-14-2011, 07:45 AM
MM'08_350Z

I am going on monday to get mine tuned... again... I will talk to the tech and find out wtf is going on with your car, he is pretty honest with me
I wanna know why they don't want to use the stock injectors.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Classy

I will ask the dreaded question for you! and ask it to many people
Old 08-14-2011, 03:09 PM
MM'08_350Z

I will ask the dreaded question for you! and ask it to many people
Thanx Classy. Here are some vids of the adjustment runs on the dyno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvTGa...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej-in...e_gdata_player
Old 08-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Classy

notice a difference in how your car sounded before and after cams? I heard your car running at the shop, and I have never really liked how the single exhausts sounds, but yours sounds nice!