Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Operator, I just drank seafoam. Is that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:29 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

i bet it makes a great hair tonic for baldness too.
Yeah it didnt clear up my detonation at all either.. pulls a bit harder now, but still.. its probably becuase i have a fairly unmetered ignitable in all sorts of places in my engine now.

Ill try one more shot and then im done.

Guess thats the point of the thread.. Im a complete skeptic.. lots of "do it/dont do it" threads as well as "seafoam is the isht" threads.. none really about it being bs.

maybe we have a first. Ill let u know tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:40 AM
dvo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If can leave the internals of your engine dry. Also, it's a pretty good idea to change your oil soon afterwards. A lot of Rotary guys do something similar with distilled water. Might want to read up on it. I don't know if you can use premix on a piston motor but I use premix on my FD. I have a bottle of Sea Foam that I bought but just did the distilled water method instead and do it maybe once a year. I'll probably use the sea foam on my DD which is a toyota matrix xrs

If you run some sort of water injection, it's not needed.

Read the thread for info.
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.ph...ht=steam+clean
Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 PM
scoobyrex247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be sure to change your spark plugs soon.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:21 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

yep, to be honest im thinking ( hoping) thats the issue.

I threw some 110 octane gas in yesterday and it drove like a bat out of hell, but that tick was still there.

I have the Kinetix V plenum, but im hoping when i pull the front two plugs they will still look lean and detonated so then id know i found my issue.. funny thing to wish for i guess, but it beats pulling heads for valve work by a long shot.
I read almost every iridium spark plug post yesterday.. anyone thing one year on a set of std heat range NGK iridiums could still have me sittin on bad plugs now?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:38 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i can tell you this much i will swear by sea foam. used to use it at a shop where we did mostly emissions work and i cant tell you how many cars would just barely fail emissions and running it in the tank and through the vacuum system would clean it up to give it a decent passing margin. also had a lady bring in a car for an oil change and we had to pull the pan to scrape the jello out the oil had become. we checked the valve cover(was a ford taurus) and the cams had goop on em, wiped it off put fresh oil and filter in along with some seafoam down the valve cover and ran it about 30 mins keeping a careful eye on oil pressure and changed the oil again and everything looked wonderful afterwards, granted alot of **** came out in that second oil change. not saying it will clear up misfires or anything we never used it for that, always on vehicles where we had reasonable suspicion the injectors where fairly dirty

Last edited by jerryd87; 03-08-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:00 AM
djamps

^^ Sounds like it's a good idea if your engine is already fuked? I don't see this as needed if you properly maintain your car.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:05 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

yeah thats the thing, i have done mobil one synth opil changes at 3k miles since the car was born, but gas is something we cant control. Its still a fossil fuel, ie, plant crap.

( jk but u get the point, its organic)

It gums things up, and the issue is that no one is getting complete combustion of all the fuel i the cylinders etc.. it creates a jelly, that turns to gum, that turns to wax, that turns to varnish, that turns to baked on black carbon goodness.
Especially w 98k miles, no tune, and lots of air accessories, exhaust, pop, plenum etc.. im probably running lean, and i bet you its a combination of running lean in the front two cylinders coupled w fouled plugs due to a previous carbon cleaning...

all it takes is a bit of that carbon to come loose in the head and bump up compression..hence my detonation..

who knows, but iwas willing to try to other stuff during this time, as im almost ready to have alot of owrk done to it, and i wanted to seafoam it before we did the other mods, and changed oil and plugs etc while its there at Intense Motorsports getting a tune utec and a bunch of other stuff.... im in the process of buying NOs, and now i get detonation out of nowhere.. so u can see why this has been a major PITA this week.

plus the seafoam has done a number on my rear bumper.. its blueish and oilly looking, and i hope it cleans off.

Last edited by bmccann101; 03-09-2011 at 05:08 AM. Reason: typos galore
Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 AM
jerryd87

if you take care of your car then theres no reason to dump it in the oil, however after 100,000+ miles imho its a good idea to dump some in the gas and run it through the vacuum system. no matter how good you take care of your car you cant control whats in the gas. ive seen tons of cars with clogged fuel filters by 50k miles in ohio. again though we did it for emissions reasons not for misfires and it showed it did clean the injectors and fuel system by the emissions test results =/ i also have no idea what it does to octane ratings or sensitivity. op i dont remember spilling any on a car(lots and lots of rags everywhere and mechanic skirts when we where workin on customers cars) cant be good though =/
Originally Posted by djamps
^^ Sounds like it's a good idea if your engine is already fuked? I don't see this as needed if you properly maintain your car.

Last edited by jerryd87; 03-09-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:32 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

no spilling, just from the exhaust itself.. ha.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

ok so updates....

my pingin is gone, and magically my car is as fast as *****.. huge gain in torque. This is nto butt dyno, this is hold your neck dyno. I must have had a BAAAAAAD issue in my fuel tank/pump/filter.

Funny as it was something i always thought of from the sluggish powerband Ive had.. felt like its slower than stock.

The car has a FAR more pronounced tone from the intake on load between 3-5k.. and overall its like i lopped of 500 lbs on this car...

Hmm. Im still a skpetic becuase i cant tear my engine down and SEE whats up, but still, it is what it is.

Im sure i didnt fix everything here, but i ran seafoam thru the gas for a week, ran it in the plenum and did a touch to the oil.. and then ran 4 gallons of 110 octane in it.. and the filled back up w regular 91 gas..

and Im screaming fast now.. a Renntech E class on the fwy was neck n neck w me.. usually a civic can get me. Not anymore muchacho.