Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:47 PM
sssmasss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default power steering pump

I have some question regarding power steering pump before i decide to replace it.

My steering become stiff to steer and it is stiffer when i get a stop sign or a light. i realized the faster i go or the higher my rpm is the light the steering wheel get. It sound to me like a power steering problem. I checked the power steerin fluid and it is full.

after reading many post about this power steering failure, i think my power steering just failed. there is no leak though. And i babied my car more than anything. I dont track it. Anyways, i bought the power steering already off a wreck car and thinking of replacing it. but before i do, i want to know if there is anything else i should check before installing a new pump? thanks.

i think the installation is pretty easy because i look at it from the top and bottom and it seems to be pretty much "plug and play". please let me know. i am going to do this Friday or Sat. thanks
Old 03-08-2011, 01:24 PM
sssmasss

wow! two hundred viewers but no one seems to know.

i will install it and let ppl know by this weekend.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Is yoru car lowered? If so, compression arm bushing being blown make the steering hard to turn.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:34 PM
sssmasss

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Is yoru car lowered? If so, compression arm bushing being blown make the steering hard to turn.
no my is not lowered. i already checked and it is not that.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
christol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are right - power steering problem. It might be the pump, but it could also be the rack. The rise in rpm can alleviate either problem. Hopefully, it is the pump - a lot less money and work. If you still have the problem after you try the used pump, you will have to take a serious look at the rack.... Good luck.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:29 PM
gregom

Sounds like a weak pump... so replacing it will probably fix your problem. If it doesn't then its possible its the rack but I doubt it. Lift the front of the car off the ground and turn the wheels by hand. You should be able to move the steering without too much physical effort. If it is stiffer in some sections or very hard to move, maybe try draining all the PS fluid and filling fresh and bleeding properly. If that doesn't fix it I would think it has to be a bad rack.

I have a spare one that needs cleaning up, if you want you could have it for cheap. I replaced it with a salvage yard buy a year ago because I thought it was damaged, but turned out my problem was the collar on the column linkage in the cabin. There is no play in the old rack.... but its been sitting on my garage floor for a year now. I can clean it up and get it checked out if you become interested, just PM me.

BTW the PS rack is pretty easy to replace, hardest part is getting off that damn structural reinforcement A-frame underneath the car. The ends of the bolts are kind of soft and can start to slip when your trying to losen them. We tried several things from heating the bolts and WD40, etc. but ended up using a large non-ratchet socket, placed a jack under it and force lots of upward pressure onto the bolt, then turned the bolt lose. Worked great...

Good luck, hope the pump is your fix.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:31 PM
gregom

Oh BTW you wouldn't by chance have the belt tension way to tight or too lose would you? I could potentially see that causing problems.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:16 PM
sssmasss

Originally Posted by gregom
Oh BTW you wouldn't by chance have the belt tension way to tight or too lose would you? I could potentially see that causing problems.
i havent adjust it yet. it has been there forever. i kinda check and realized it is in it right tension or i believe.

but i will check it tomorrow. thanks
Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Asterix

What does your fluid look like? Is it clear and red or opaque and brown? If it's brown, start by replacing it. With the car off, use a turkey baster to suck the reservoir empty then refill with new fluid. Drive the car around a few miles with many turns, then repeat. After a few iterations, your fluid should look new again. That may help.

While the reservoir is empty, check the screen inside. Is it clogged?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM
sssmasss

Originally Posted by Asterix
What does your fluid look like? Is it clear and red or opaque and brown? If it's brown, start by replacing it. With the car off, use a turkey baster to suck the reservoir empty then refill with new fluid. Drive the car around a few miles with many turns, then repeat. After a few iterations, your fluid should look new again. That may help.

While the reservoir is empty, check the screen inside. Is it clogged?
it is kinda clear with red and brown mixture color. I will replace the fluid today and see what happened. thanks.

and i will check the screen too. i think my power steering pump should not be out because my car has less than 50k