Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

04 Z I Broke My Tranny!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Donald0730

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 04 Z I Broke My Tranny!!!

Well, I was pushing it one night on a dead street coming back home. 1st to 2nd was OK, but when I went for 3rd it went in to 5th. It felt a little weird, like there was some resistance. But it did go in. I tried to get it back in to 3rd but that's when i noticed alot of resistance in neutral just between 5-6 and 3-4. It wouldn't go into 3rd so i tried 4th. I then realize that I wasn't goin to get into any gear. Rolled into a parking lot and called my friends out. And the towing company, who told me to call back tomorrow since the dealership is closed.

While I'm sitting there, I try to jam it in all the gears. None of them work. The **** won't go downward either(like getting into reverse) and i can only wiggle it between the 1-2 and 3-4. And when I let go of the clutch while it's on, the car dies. So I'm thinking the car is still in gear.

Next morining, called up the tow truck. Had to hold the clutch down while he was pullin me up.

I really don't think this is gonna be a common problem, or at least I hope it won't. Maybe I shifted tooo fast or something. I'm not ragging on nissan cars but I beat the **** out of my VW but the crappy tranny managed to survive. I didn't beat on this car though. I was still shifting a little slower that usual. Cuz the car is only 3000 miles old. But for now I'm stuck driving my brother's G35 coupe while I wait for the dealership to call me back. I can't wait for that service bill, what a great way to spend my christmas money. I probably don't even have enough.

How much do U think it cost for a new tranny? Couple thousand?
Old 12-01-2003, 09:52 AM
makdown

IF YOU SHIFTED HARD ENOUGH YOU MIGHT HAVE THROWN OFF YOUR PLATES. THIS IS WAT HAPPENED ON MY LUDE. IT'S CHEAP TO FIX. HOPEFULLY THAT'S WHAT IT IS
Old 12-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Yielar

Hopefully the dealership will cover the costs.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:59 AM
ZedZed

I don't see why this would not be covered under warranty. How 'hard' to you need to shift in order to break the tranny???

This car is going to need warning labels all over it.

WARNING! Do not shift your transmission!

WARNING! Do not put your Window down, may result in grease Streaks!

WARNING! DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR! Tires may feather!

WARNING! DO NOT TURN ON STEREO! SOUNDS LIKE A$$!

DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!
Old 12-01-2003, 11:00 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: 04 Z I Broke My Tranny!!!

Originally posted by Donald0730
Well, I was pushing it one night on a dead street coming back home. 1st to 2nd was OK, but when I went for 3rd it went in to 5th. It felt a little weird, like there was some resistance. But it did go in. I tried to get it back in to 3rd but that's when i noticed alot of resistance in neutral just between 5-6 and 3-4. It wouldn't go into 3rd so i tried 4th. I then realize that I wasn't goin to get into any gear. Rolled into a parking lot and called my friends out. And the towing company, who told me to call back tomorrow since the dealership is closed.

While I'm sitting there, I try to jam it in all the gears. None of them work. The **** won't go downward either(like getting into reverse) and i can only wiggle it between the 1-2 and 3-4. And when I let go of the clutch while it's on, the car dies. So I'm thinking the car is still in gear.

Next morining, called up the tow truck. Had to hold the clutch down while he was pullin me up.

I really don't think this is gonna be a common problem, or at least I hope it won't. Maybe I shifted tooo fast or something. I'm not ragging on nissan cars but I beat the **** out of my VW but the crappy tranny managed to survive. I didn't beat on this car though. I was still shifting a little slower that usual. Cuz the car is only 3000 miles old. But for now I'm stuck driving my brother's G35 coupe while I wait for the dealership to call me back. I can't wait for that service bill, what a great way to spend my christmas money. I probably don't even have enough.

How much do U think it cost for a new tranny? Couple thousand?
It shouldn't cost you a penny. It's still in warranty, isn't it?
Old 12-01-2003, 11:55 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by ZedZed
I don't see why this would not be covered under warranty. How 'hard' to you need to shift in order to break the tranny???

This car is going to need warning labels all over it.

WARNING! Do not shift your transmission!

WARNING! Do not put your Window down, may result in grease Streaks!

WARNING! DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR! Tires may feather!

WARNING! DO NOT TURN ON STEREO! SOUNDS LIKE A$$!

DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!
Get a grip on yourself. EVERY car has problems including VW's. He has got a warranty, they will fix it.

A 350Z has no more problems than any other car and fewer than most. The thing is everytime somene farts on this site, everyone reads about it so it makes it appear there are more problems than there really are.

Jeff - zland
Old 12-01-2003, 12:30 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my trans went at 15,000 miles. 5th gear would not accept a shift without grinding. warrenty replaced it, car was at the dealer for a week.

-charles
Old 12-01-2003, 12:59 PM
Javi

This sounds sooo familiar!!!

One time I WAS racing with my brother (we where testing some new mod, can't remember witch) and when I'm going to hit 5th gear, the car was stuck in 4th, I mean REALLY stock. It wouldn't engage any gear and all I could do was go forward. So I stopped to see what was going on and I figured, what the hell, it was almost 2:00 AM so I drove in 4th all the way home. Next day I took it with a flat bed to the dealership and just when they where going to remove the tranny, one of the mech's gave the shifter a good yank and the shifter was again normal. The shifter got stuck between gears because it was pushed down just like if you where going to reverse, and got jammed. After that, it happened several times, so I pulled it with a little brute force. The shifter felt sluggish, and 3rd gear began to make the metallic sound. When the tranny was replaced the shifter got incredibly precise, just like when it was new. All my tranny troubles where related to the faulty stock tranny that so many people has had to replace.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:33 PM
etx

No offence Donald0730, but you probably just were shifting too quickly. Some people just do not understand how a MTX works. If you shift too quick either your not giving the syncros time to sync and at the same time your putting extra strain on your linkage. And if your linkage is busted they are probably going to try to charge you for it becuase that would be due to improper use. Best of luck to ya!
Old 12-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Donald0730

Good News

The dealer called today and said they would replace the tranny under warranty. He started asking me about what I did but I didn't wanna answer because I didn't want them to be like "O well, that's your fault. I don't think we can cover it anymore", so I kept changing the subject and just repeated "I was shifting and it got stuck". Well couldn't sleep a wink last since saturday night. Now I can relax. Mom was mad but Dad was cool bout it.

Bad News

Well, it's not toooo bad but anything that involves me being without my car is bad news. They said they we're gonna get the tranny shipped from CA which would take about a week. So I'm thinking next Wednesday or Thursday. And a couple days for installation. So hopefully things will be ready the following Monday or Tuesday.

I'd like to bring up another topic. It's about test driving cars. Well, I'm sure you all have done it and I know I have. But does everyone here beat the crap out of the car when you take it for a test drive? I ask this because my car came with 90 miles. And I'm sure that's about 9 or 10 test drives. I hate to think that my car has been abused before I even bought it. Maybe I'm wrong but who knows. I know the big bosses like to take a car home(I know the audi dealer here does it) for a night. But why? Why do they do this to our cars.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:58 PM
ss350

Default yup

i kno when i test drove a z, the salesman was practically asking me to beat on it, so i drove the shyt out of it. I then proceeded to order my 350. I got a call from the dealer a few days later saying they found a 350 with all the options and color i wanted in another state. So they shipped it to me. When i went to pick it up, it had 70 miles on. I was very hesistant to take the car because i dont kno how it was drivin ect. I was plannin on babyin my new Z for a little while b/c its freakin brand new and i hope that no1 abused on it before i got it!!!... But w/ about 5k miles on it, everything seems fine (besides a small alignment and grease streaks on the windows)
Old 12-01-2003, 04:12 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great time to get that Nismo/Jun/JWT flywheel installed!!! Also be sure and read this thread of mine. It is important you get the latest parts!!
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=51838
Old 12-01-2003, 05:21 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Jeff, you are right, good time to install those items and great salesmenship as well. I mean it in a postive way.

Jeff - zland
Old 12-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Donald0730

I wish I could and I would if I could.

My mom is mad enough, so I don't think askin her for money would make things better.

I dunno I still have a week, maybe I'll ask my dad.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:39 PM
jeffrey

Mine will sometimes "grind" a little going into 3rd now matter how fast or slow I"m going with the clutch all the way to the floor.

It's very inconsistant on doing it; I think it's done it maybe 5 or 6 times now.

Irks the hell outta me!
Old 12-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Sorry to hear about that,

I have 22000 miles on my Z now and on my first tranny. I drive the hell out of my car just to push its limits and have even accidently (when i first got the car) shifted into 1st rather than 3rd under hard acceleration. Can you say RED LINE! Our car is very durable. I dont know what happend to you.

BUT; Since they are taking your tranny out put in a new flywheel, & Clutch.

We have the NISMO Fly Wheel for 462, JWT flywheel for 400, Nismo Plate & Disk for 480.

Let me know if you have any questions on those parts. THey can be found in the 350z / Drivetrain section of our web site. Here is a direct link.

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...?cPath=153_175
Old 12-01-2003, 06:14 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Jason, while the subject is about transmission, I got a quick one.. When I shift from 1st to 2nd, if I shift real fast, I will grind the 2nd gear 4 out of 5 times. If I ease the shifting, like let it stay in neutral for about 1/2 sec, then I can shift to 2nd with no grinding, and no problems.. Do you think the tranny has problem? I thought I could fix it by changing the tranny oil. It did help, but not completely..

This only happens on 2nd gear.. thanks!
Old 12-01-2003, 06:31 PM
shaun_walsh

I had the same problem in 3rd gear with my 2003 Z and the dealer replaced the tranny for free under warranty. Make sure your push the dealer on that issue.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:57 PM
NECurve

Default Double Clutch!!!

If people would double clutch there would be a lot less Tranny, Shifter, Drivetrain problems in these cars!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:11 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by Apexi350z
Jason, while the subject is about transmission, I got a quick one.. When I shift from 1st to 2nd, if I shift real fast, I will grind the 2nd gear 4 out of 5 times. If I ease the shifting, like let it stay in neutral for about 1/2 sec, then I can shift to 2nd with no grinding, and no problems.. Do you think the tranny has problem? I thought I could fix it by changing the tranny oil. It did help, but not completely..

This only happens on 2nd gear.. thanks!
I shift fast all the time, I press the clutch all the way down to the floor, and let it up quickly with my foot almost as fast as if you were to side step it. but, in 3rd / 4th / 5th.. ill side step it..

make sure you are pressing the clutch all the way to the ground when you shift into gear and then lift up after your shifter is in the correct position.

As for double clutching. I think you are fine in this car when down shifting if you depress the clutch, rev match then lift off the clutch. Our car responds fast enought to not need to or really have the time to double clutch. well, unless your shifting slow...

Quick Reply: 04 Z I Broke My Tranny!!!