Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Latest on Transmission replacement!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 04:44 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Latest on Transmission replacement!!

For those of you getting your trans replaced under warrany, I just wanted to give you the latest update. Nissan is now on their 4th or is it 5th trans update. Make sure your dealer is installing the latest one that just got released. I ordered a bunch before they go on back order. The new part number is 32010-CD008 and they also replace your clutch pedal as well. Part number 46503-CD010 for the base and 46503-CD011 for the other cars. Here's a pix of the pedal assy.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:55 AM
toykilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

advice please: how do i go about getting my transmission replaced?
Old 12-01-2003, 05:00 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by toykilla
advice please: how do i go about getting my transmission replaced?
Well you can drive over to So.Cal and I'll take care of you.. Just to let you know, Nissan is making us get authorization on EVERY 350z trans we now replace. It shouldn't be a big deal, but they are making the Dealers jump through hoops to make sure a car qualifies and someone just doesn't want the latest model because it's the latest model. If you have a good relationship with your Dealer they will do the dog and pony show and get the okay in a matter of hours!!!
Old 12-01-2003, 06:52 AM
jelledge

Default Tranny updates

Thanks for the update on the tranny part number, very useful.

1. Do you know what Nissan did in the latest design of the tranny?

2. You mentioned that Nissan is making the dealers verify that every car qualifies for a tranny replacement. Can you explain what that means.

I have a a very early '03 car and as of yet my tranny has been ok, but does catch in 1-2 and 2-3 shift sometimes where it does not like going into gear easily. Not bad enough to replace at this point I am sure, but I think it will fail sometime soon.

Ja
Old 12-01-2003, 07:09 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Hey Jeff, is it a surety that all or most of us will need a tranny replace at some point in the future? Or are such problems relegated to certain/particular build dates? Thanks.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Default Re: Tranny updates

Originally posted by jelledge
1. Do you know what Nissan did in the latest design of the tranny?
2. You mentioned that Nissan is making the dealers verify that every car qualifies for a tranny replacement. Can you explain what that means.Ja
These trannys are hit and miss. Most of the cars that come to our store for the most part are fine. That's most... not ALL. I'm not sure what has been changed inside the new trans nor do the "insiders" at Nissan I work with. It has been RUMORED to be a new syncro and hub assy... but I do not know. As far as your second question... well one or two people out there without tranny problems will want the upgraded model...(as do I), but Nissan will want every car qualified now. They will replace those that need replacement...... (notice me dancing here) but they want us to test the hell out of it first.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:01 AM
jaw4n

When did these new trannies go into production? I have an '04 that was built in October. Maybe this is why the VIN numbers strangely changed to 60XXX from the last batch of 53XXX.

Thanks.

Last edited by jaw4n; 12-01-2003 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by jaw4n
When did these new trannies go into production? I have an '04 that was built in October. Maybe this is why the VIN numbers strangely changed to 60XXX from the last batch of 53XXX.

Thanks.
Nissan hasn't given us a Vin range as they claim it is isolated cases and does not effect a certain group of cars... now don't flame the messenger... I'm just here to give you guys what I know..
Old 12-01-2003, 10:10 AM
John

I'm on my 2nd tranny, but I've noticed that 2nd and 5th gear seem to have a "sharp" feeling when upshifting... almost like a metal-on-metal, but without the grinding. When I shift into those gears, it just doesn't seem "right." I guess I'll see if any problems manifest after a few track weekends.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:48 AM
arizzee

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
Well you can drive over to So.Cal and I'll take care of you.. Just to let you know, Nissan is making us get authorization on EVERY 350z trans we now replace. It shouldn't be a big deal, but they are making the Dealers jump through hoops to make sure a car qualifies and someone just doesn't want the latest model because it's the latest model. If you have a good relationship with your Dealer they will do the dog and pony show and get the okay in a matter of hours!!!
Jeff,

I've been waiting to see my local dealer about my transmission as it had only occasionally made the grinding noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Now that its cold in the mornings, the 4th to 5th shift feels like a syncro grabs the stick (no grind though). Based on your experience, do you think these symptoms will warrant a tranny swap? Just wanted a professional opion to set my expectations before proceeding with my local dealer. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Brad4rdHay

Am I better off sticking with my (relativly) trouble free original tranny or doing the dog and pony show for the new one....will replacing it cause its own problems...ie. don't fixit if it aint broke. BUT im very curious to drive this new tranny to see how it feels.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by arizzee
Jeff,

I've been waiting to see my local dealer about my transmission as it had only occasionally made the grinding noise when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Now that its cold in the mornings, the 4th to 5th shift feels like a syncro grabs the stick (no grind though). Based on your experience, do you think these symptoms will warrant a tranny swap? Just wanted a professional opion to set my expectations before proceeding with my local dealer. Thanks for your input.
I will replace it if you want to come see me..... but that's me. It depends on your relationship with your Dealer. The question is do they want to go to bat for you or blow you off because it's too much work. We have replaced so many tranny's at my store that it through up a red flag and we are facing a warranty audit from Nissan. It's not a problem, just an inconvenience. I won't let my customers put up with a trans that pisses them off and I hope your dealer is the same way. we are supposed to enjoy these cars...... and put on more Nismo parts!!
Old 12-01-2003, 05:14 PM
s9am_me

dang i wish i have a dealer as cool as you very helpful and don't BS ppl.. and you back it up with positive feedback ratings

Last edited by s9am_me; 12-01-2003 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:22 PM
tree-fity-zee

Hey Jeff, I'm coming down for 3 wks and I'd like to know how I can schedule getting my tranny replaced with you guys. I went to my dealership and they just brushed me off. I'll be in Van Nuys so that shouldn't be too far from you.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:22 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I need to schedule a trip to Duarte, CA before my 36k warranty runs out
Old 12-01-2003, 06:27 PM
350Z_Redline

My dealer just ordered me a new tranny today; I'm hoping it's this latest version but I doubt it. They said it was being shipped from NY?? and will be here in 2 days. As long as it doesn't grind and operates properly I'll be happy. They're being pretty cool and will be installing the JWT flywheel and clutch I ordered.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:50 PM
rodH

crap, I got a new tranny about 6 weeks ago, at that time I think it was the 3rd or 4th version, when will this end??

what is the difference between mine and this version???
Old 12-02-2003, 04:06 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by tree-fity-zee
Hey Jeff, I'm coming down for 3 wks and I'd like to know how I can schedule getting my tranny replaced with you guys. I went to my dealership and they just brushed me off. I'll be in Van Nuys so that shouldn't be too far from you.
Give me a call, or PM me on this. I will make it happen, it's just not as easy as it used to be.

Originally posted by 350Z_Redline
My dealer just ordered me a new tranny today; I'm hoping it's this latest version but I doubt it.
Make sure you call the Parts Dept and they have ordered the correct part numbers (they are at the top of this thread). These are new numbers that are not on their computer screen yet!!! Do not let them put in the old stuff!!!

Originally posted by rodH
crap, I got a new tranny about 6 weeks ago. what is the difference between mine and this version???
Sorry, not sure what has been changed yet....

Originally posted by Apexi350z
I need to schedule a trip to Duarte, CA before my 36k warranty runs out
Hey, your covered on the 5 year 50K, so you may as well wait until the 10th version comes out..
Old 12-02-2003, 10:48 AM
350Z_Redline

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
Make sure you call the Parts Dept and they have ordered the correct part numbers (they are at the top of this thread). These are new numbers that are not on their computer screen yet!!! Do not let them put in the old stuff!!!
Jeff you are the freakin' man!! I took your advice and called my dealer. The parts guy wasn't sure which tranny he ordered me but said it would either be the 32010-CD006 or 32010-CD007. I told him about 32010-CD008 and the clutch pedal replacement. He hadn't heard of it but initially thought that the new part number might only apply to the 04's. He said he would check into it and call me back. It took him about 1 1/2 hrs to call me back but he confirmed that 32010-CD008 was the latest version and that he would be placing an order for it and the new clutch pedal. Thx for the great info!
Old 12-02-2003, 12:13 PM
dnguyent

I called my service writer and asked about the clutch pedal assembly. He responded that he replaced the transmission with the trannie part no. 32010-CD008 per direction from Nissan Tech Line, and was not directed to change out the clutch pedal assembly.

Looks like I'll have to press him harder to call the tech line and clarify that issue. I hate it when people make gross assumptions when they get too lazy for followups!

Quick Reply: Latest on Transmission replacement!!