Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

03 transmission post #30457

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM
aasorah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 transmission post #30457

I just recently purchased a 2003 nissan 350z performance with only 37500 miles on it for a great deal. I have read, researched and heard all about the tranny problems and I didn't notice anything when test driving. He told me 3rd was a little hard when the transmission was cold and I was hoping it was nothing more. I decided for the price I couldn't pass up the deal so I purchased it. I've not been driving it long and it is a little notchy in third when its cold and If i shift very aggressively it grinds. Not horribly but enough to bother me.

So with thus being said I'm asking for advice. Should I:

1. Purchase a 3rd party warranty from the dealership I work at (not nissan) 700 to 1100 depending on year and mileage.
2. Keep an eye out for a good cd009 transmission and buy it for a good deal(me and my father replace it)
3. Suck it up and deal with it until it breaks and buy a new transmission (me and my father replace it)
4. Wait and just get Nissan to replace it when i need to.
5. Members input:

It is going to be my weekend car and it shouldn't get the miles ran up on it very fast. The transmission works once everything gets warmed up approx 20 minutes later and I have no problem when shifting in normal driving. I am just one of those people that do not like anything to be wrong with a vehicle and am wanting some advice from people that are more educated with this problem. Thanks for bearing with me!
Old 06-07-2011, 05:19 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Number 3 would be my choice, chances are it will last a long time. Also no need to shift hard and aggressive, smooth quick shifts work great.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:45 PM
harman850t5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try replacing the fluid too with Redline. It helped my 240. I'm putting it in my 03 soon.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:53 PM
aasorah

Thats what I'm leaning towards he is a pretty skilled mechanic. Not a master of transmissions but with his mechanic mind we can get a book and figure it out. Also when I say aggressive im leaning more towards quick (in my case not the smoothest yet) shifts. It is notchy but bearable when the tranny is warm and i make 100 percent sure the clutch is touching the floor and do a quick shift. I've had good luck that and if i let the rpms fall for a split second and the syncro catch up its very satisfying and problem free. Also the guy I bought it off of said he changed the fluid but he seemed a little unsure if he did or not so maybe he thought he did. He didnt state what fluid he used so do you think if I changed it it would potentially make a difference or would it since the 03's have that dreaded syncro problem anywyas. I am just a very very picky person especially with my vehicles and its slightly bothersome to have a new to me car have a small defect. But I guess I will suck it up and cross that bridge when I get that and in the mean time save up the cash, put it aside, and keep a lookout for a good used cd009 with very low miles. I hear they are for the most part the best possible route to take.

Thanks for the replys!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 PM
350z Guy

I would try using redline oil in the transmission too, its great and there is a diy guide on this site i believe

you would need to do a little bit of mixing since redline does not offer the exact oil for our transmission

but give it a shot, its great and it helped out a lot with my grinding
Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 PM
aasorah

Awesome! Thanks for the Advice and I'll definitely put that on the list. Guy i bought it from left me with break pads on the squeaker. Oil change to be safe. and replace the tires. But for the deal its a small price to pay and can't say I wouldn't do the same thing.

Really appreciate your help and look forward to getting involved with the z family!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 PM
caaraa
Banned

Number 3 would be my choice, chances are it will last a long time.