Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My SIKKY LS2 install thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cass007
MAP, got rid of the MAF completely. The exhaust is APS 3" True Duals, I just removed the front section and had JE Performance fab me new pieces to join the SIKKY headers to the APS. It actually sounds quiet to me.

Okay that is great,, I am removing MAF completely also.. I also think the exhaust sound pretty damn good.. Can't wait for more vids
Old 11-05-2011, 12:51 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Classy
it is soooo blue!
I see Blue... He looks Gloryous!!!

Looks great and the Install looks clean...

Chris
Old 11-05-2011, 02:34 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i decided to keep the oem ls1 coolant sensor and wires on my car as well. the nissan sensor literally controls just the gauge, but i was wondering if it would affect my tune with a literally blank engine temp reading on my speed density tune so i effectively have 2 collant sensors. 1 for tuning, 1 for that fancy gauge lmao
Old 11-05-2011, 02:52 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Chris as its been a longtime coming.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Good to hear it running
Old 11-07-2011, 03:55 AM
Quamen

Very nice Cass!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:57 AM
bigcloud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SICK!!! Congrats CASS!!! MAOR PICS & VIDS NAO!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:03 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Got an email from Franz yesterday and there is some drama of course. The car has a misfire under acceleration. Also, the MAP sensor **** the bed and needs to be replaced. The possible causes for the misfire are as follows:

MAP Sensor - The MAP sensor is being replaced, but tuning is one of the last things that I know nothing about, so I have zero knowledge about how this would affect things.

Spark Plugs - I changed in fresh plugs when we put the headers on, so unless I gapped one wrong or some anti-sieze got on the tip I can rule that out.

Manifold Leak - This hasn't been touched since purchase and is still the stock unit 100%. Its possible, but I would guess unlikely.

Valve Seat - Possible, but I thought it would be noticed at idle as well I bought the engine from LKQ and I believe they run all the motors prior to shipping them and it came with a 6 month warranty that expired while it sat on the floor in my garage.

Honestly, if I have to crack this engine open after getting all this way I may need to take it as a sign from God and part out everything and sell this money pit.

Soooooo sick of small moments of happiness (like the car idling) followed immediately by constant fail and issues The car has been gone from my house since the end of August. After not seeing it for 9 weeks its like it doesn't really exsist anymore.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Quamen

With MAP I doubt that a leak would cause a significant misfire of any sort. I would also assume a valve seat would be seen under all conditions as you mentioned.

If I were you I would check the engine ground. I found that on my personal car the stock 350z grounding wire from the battery was too small and actually got hot at idle. I replaced it with 2 gauge wire and removed the paint from the OEM grounding point on the chassis. Beyond that I also ran 4 gauge grounding cable to each head from the chassis. This change made a huge difference on my car at load. I was ask Franz to see if the ground cable from the battery is warm at idle or under load.

Last edited by Quamen; 11-07-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Quamen
With MAP I doubt that a leak would cause a significant misfire of any sort. I would also assume a valve seat would be seen under all conditions as you mentioned.

If I were you I would check the engine ground. I found that on my personal car the stock 350z grounding wire from the battery was too small and actually got hot at idle. I replaced it with 2 gauge wire and removed the paint from the OEM grounding point on the chassis. Beyond that I also ran 4 gauge grounding cable to each head from the chassis. This change made a huge difference on my car at load. I was ask Franz to see if the ground cable from the battery is warm at idle or under load.
Thanks for the heads up on that Quamen. I will ask him to check on that. I just need a simple fix here... too much money spent again and nothing but constant issues.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Franz found the issue. Compression checked out just fine, plugs, coils and wires are solid. Issue was that the fuel was stale... I had put Stabil in the tank prior to teardown, but the lines had laid open for so long that the fuel went bad. Thank goodness it was something simple and is solved.

On the plus side, Franz cracked open the valve covers and said everything looks very clean inside

Vid coming late tonight or tomorrow of some rev ups ... can't wait to hear what it sounds like.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:04 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Wow. I'm truly excited about your car. Can't wait for vids! Even better, can't wait to hear it in person.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by Cass007
MAP, got rid of the MAF completely. The exhaust is APS 3" True Duals, I just removed the front section and had JE Performance fab me new pieces to join the SIKKY headers to the APS. It actually sounds quiet to me.
Care to elaborate on that MAP and your EMS overall?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:33 AM
10-E-C-350Z

Congrats, I was worried when you mentioned possibly selling the car. I want to see this thing up and finished, it will be worth it!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 AM
GreenGoblin

Congrats Chris! Can't wait for some good video's/
Old 11-08-2011, 04:14 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Care to elaborate on that MAP and your EMS overall?
We are using the stock LS MAP sensor in its stock location and it is wired into the ECU.

I am running the ViPEC V88, IMO it the best ECU on the market for the money. It will do almost everything a MoTec will do for a fraction of the price. The ONLY downside is that the tuners that are capable on this hardware are limited. It was developed by Ray Hall in Austrailia and was previously involved with Autronic and MoTec. Here is a link to the specs:

http://www.vi-pec.com/page_files/V88.html

It can do everything all the other main stand alones can do and usually more. It controls the drive-by-wire, so I retain the stock Nissan pedal. I can shift maps with an external trigger on the fly, so I was able to swap from low boost to high boost by arming the meth system (could do it while driving). It controls the fans on the LS so they will run after I shut the car off to a specific coolant temp (the LS using crank sensor, so if car isn't running neither are the fans). Flat shift - check, launch control - check, traction control - check. They are constantly updating the software to make inprovements for racers.

Right now I believe there have only been 3 of us using this, Gord (SylvanLake), the guy the did the Nissan V8 swap, and myself. The main reason more aren't using it is largely a function of the large shops having already migrated towards a specific ECU that they prefer for F/I applications.

Forged - Dynosty - GTM = Haltech and UpRev
SP - Intense = Pro EFI
Vinnie Ten - Hydra
Z1 = Not Sure

All of these shops are capable of tuning this ECU, they just prefer what they know. Franz is Mr. ViPEC in the US, he is the best and most knowledgeable on how to hook things up make all systems communicate. He will eventually teach me how to read my own maps and tables so I can monitor and tweak things as needed. This LS was a learning process for both of us, but I have a custom 3 piece professional harness that has no extra wire, will hold up like stock. I also will have a stock tach and AC controls. The ViPec will be able to handle any mods that come down the road later, be that NO2 or SC with zero issues.

/ sales pitch
Old 11-08-2011, 04:19 AM
Vas_Z33

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

sickkknastyyy chris!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 AM
Quamen

Standalone's are the way to go in my opinion. I'm glad you found out the main problem! I would still consider having Franz check if the negative battery cable gets warm as it is only 6 gauge wire and your engine now requires 33% more ignition being a V8. After seeing how warm mine got I am starting to wonder if a grounding upgrade is something that should be part of an LS swap.

Or it may just be my high compression motor and the load it puts on the electronics. Still curious though.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4-ho...er_profilepage

Functional stock Nissan Tach bishes!!! With my baller Acree LED Mod!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkmda...yer_detailpage

Old 11-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

:icon 31::jaw drop:

Quick Reply: My SIKKY LS2 install thread