Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My short-winded treatise on Internet Einsteins

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 01:49 PM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Chebosto

the ECU is the only way you can actively retard timing throughout the rpm band when necessary- and have the fuel/air to go with it.
Ok, I'm still not saying that the TS ecu programming is bad, but I don't agree with this at all. There are multiple solutions to retarding the timing as necessary and adding fuel as well. To say that the ecu is the only way to do this is simply not a true statement, not at all.

If the MAF is not maxed out as far as the signal input to the ecu goes, then I would have to say that the ecu reprogramming is an excellent way to control fuel and spark when boosting. Which still leaves me with one big problem, that being the one-size-fits-all nature of it. Other than those that are close enough to get them to do custom tuning on their car, TS would have to be extremely conservative or you are still taking some risk.

Either way, I'm still planning to do my own testing of the MAF output to see what it's doing. And there are still some advantages to using a J&S whether you have an ecu reflash or not.

On edit:
I forgot to ask you Cheston. You say they are pulling timing at 6k rpm and up. Is this the only place? Obviously it needs to be pulled up there, but I would think they'd do more with the timing than that...

Last edited by GaryK; 12-15-2003 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by GaryK

I forgot to ask you Cheston. You say they are pulling timing at 6k rpm and up. Is this the only place? Obviously it needs to be pulled up there, but I would think they'd do more with the timing than that...

Specifics, obviously i cannot say, it is changed throughout the entire map. i 'generally' it is where 6k+ until redline is where it is most important--
Old 12-15-2003, 07:19 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheston......you guys have done a great job on all of your research......i'll be coming to see you when i can get away for a weekend.......i'm getting really tired of driving my supercharged car around at 4Krpms
Old 04-25-2008, 01:08 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up in a commute job going from Sacramento to Oakland CA ( 4 hrs a day driving) throughout all of 2004 and never once ever had any problems with my FI AT Z tuned by TS.

EJ ended up seeing me hit WOT at 10 lbs of Boost on stock internals and I even had video up on the net for a long time of these runs. No more sticking at WOT with the AT either.

Bottom line was the larger fuel pump, the larger P.E. Injectors and the TS ECU ran my FI car at 10 lbs for 30 thousand more miles before I traded it in. The plenum I had may have played a role (more air), I may never know but a reflash was necassary after adding the aftermarket Crawford Plenum and after that I was DIALED and stayed dialed.

So I thought I would let everyone know that after all was said and done, my setup worked, and worked well in all temperatures. Man I miss that car!!!

Peace Out,

P.S.

EJ If you are still around hit me up man it's been awhile!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn. Back from the dead. Brings back some memories of the early days.

Will