Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

A/F Meters

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 04:54 PM
redline350ZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so this aem kit comes with a wideband O2 sensor???? i want to just weld in another O2 fitting so that im not messing with my cars system.... are there any other wideband sensors that arent expensive????? anyone know of a data recording device to save for ECU tuning??? like to a palm or labtop computer????
Old 12-21-2003, 05:22 PM
swinke

I have the FJO WB-o2 on my 350z. It works great. I opted for the additional MAP sensor and data logging/PDA-Laptop monitoring package. I have about $750 invested in the whole thing. I have a Palm T-2 attached to the dash as the GUI and I hook the laptop up when I am doing serious tuning. The PDA will data log a million 1/4 mile runs and then can be downloaded to a PC also. It pricey, it works. Word of caution, if you let the buttholes at the muffler shop talk you into installing your o2 sensor behind the cats you will get readings that are richer than what you really have. I have check it in the before cat position just so I could see what was up. The folks at FJO in Canada have been excellent to work with also. I have called about 5 times for support on the PDA compatibility (read the manual, limited number of Palm devices that are compatible) and o2 sensor position and the have been more than helpful. Try that with those $h*tbags from Greddy. They won’t give you the time of day. If you have questions e me at swinke@earthlink.net. And no, I am not a vendor and do not profit from any product sold or produced by any manufacturer or vendor.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:23 PM
swinke

PS; The data logging funtions are A/Fr, RPM, and MAP.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:27 PM
swinke

If it does not come with a 5wire heated o2 sensor its not wideband. If it hooks to your factory o2 sensor its not wideband. I am told that some early model Honda vehicle had it from the factory and thats the only reason it not mor expensive than it is now. Expect to pay between $150-$195 for just the o2 sensor itself.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:42 PM
redline350ZZ

where do i find this FJO wb o2 with data logging????
Old 12-22-2003, 04:13 AM
swinke

www.fjoracing.com is the OEM and www.cyberauto.com is the US master vendor/dealer. Both of these buisnesses have been great with support and efforts to service after the sale.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:37 AM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FJO is good no doubt, but you can get the same functionality for less money. The LM-1 from Innovate Motorsports basically does the same thing for about $300 less. I'm not slamming FJO...go with them if you want something very well proven and you have the money. The LM-1 also can handle more inputs for logging (in addition to rpm and MAP), and the unit itself can log the data so you don't need anything else in the car (pda or laptop).
Old 12-22-2003, 05:47 AM
swinke

It can be DL'd to a PC for further analysis. However, you are stuck looking at your graphs on a small display during real-time runs. The display/interface is ugly and fairly large. I would not want it on the dash of a new 350Z, would you? The graphs that they show you on the website are not available in REALTIME. They have to be rendered later by a PC. So you would have to go make a run, and then download the unit to a PC to really see what’s up with your 5 logging items. I can see all 3 of my items in real time, log them at the same time, and review them later also. I can record as many hours of data as I want, not just 44 minutes. My FJO has an update rate of 15+ cycles/sec not 12 or less. The FJO unit is almost indestructible. I have seen the demos. They freeze it into a block of ice; boil it in water, run it over with a truck, while it’s running. It does not miss a lick! There is more to this than just the price and a track record. The FJO unit is the finest hardware/software combo money can buy as of today. (AEM may turn out to be a better unit, who knows?) I will however add that for the price the LM-1 does work accurately and is probably an ok product for the money but its something you will want to use for a long time to come. Why not get a product that is versatile, user friendly, and super durable. Besides, what’s a couple hundred bucks for all the convenience afforded by the FJO unit? Not to mention how much better my dash looks with a Palm T-2 attached instead of that 1985 Casio calculator looking thing.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:40 AM
GaryK

Ummm....the LM-1 is not meant to be mounted on the dash, and I don't know why anyone would do that. If you want to monitor a/f ratio while driving, the LM-1 can drive a remote display or gauge for that purpose. I personally wouldn't want the LM-1, a pda, or any boxy looking thing mounted on my dash. I also don't see a need to see a datalog graph of several items while I'm driving the car. Monitoring the critical parameters with gauges is much easier to do while you're trying to keep your eyes on the road. If you're doing all your tuning on a dyno, none of this matters of course, but for day to day driving its still nice to have a display that can be read and interpreted through peripheral vision or a quick glance...its harder to do that with a graph displayed on a screen.

Anyway, each one has its advantages, and there is no absolute answer as to which one is better. The buyer has to look at the options and pick the one that serves their needs. For a lot of people the LM-1 is the right one, for tons of other people the FJO is better. You obviously like the FJO, and I agree that its a great unit, but its not the end all of lower end wideband sensors. I'm just letting people know that the LM-1 is out there, and its a nice unit for the price.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:54 AM
jesseenglish

I've said it in another thread, but I'd put the Techedge WBO2 up against any WB setup out there in terms of price, features, and accuracy. Don't feel like describing it again, but here's their website if you wanna take a look at it.

http://www.wbo2.com/default.htm
Old 12-23-2003, 07:33 PM
swinke

Gary

Heres the link www.fjoracing.com

I'm sure this will clear things up for you
Old 12-23-2003, 07:48 PM
GaryK

Originally posted by swinke
Gary

Heres the link www.fjoracing.com

I'm sure this will clear things up for you
OK???
Old 12-24-2003, 07:45 AM
350trackz

Dr. Bonz - yep. The pods are made with the holes filled in. You let Greg know what size holes you want in it and they are drilled out to fit whatever size you tell him. 1 60mm and 1 2 1/16 or whatever combo you need.