Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch Chatter on Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:49 AM
sgreb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Chatter on Acceleration

Hi Guys, Sory i know clutch chatter has been talked up and down forwever. I have used the search and i have been unable to find exactly what i am looking for.

I have a 06 350z that just had its engine replaced by Nissan (short block), and when they did that i put the Stillen clutch kit into the car.

I do get the standard clutch chatter at idle in neutral, but when i push down the clutch it disappears.

What my question is when i accelerate and my foot is completely off the clutch, it makes a loud rattling sound until about 2k rpm, This goes in any gear, for example turning in 2nd or 3rd into corner. if my RPM drop below 2k, i get a very loud rattle.

1-Is this normal and something that i just have to live with?
2-Is there something wrong with clutch or install?
3- And lastly i have a hard time getting it into 5th /6th gear since the clutch change. it will go in but its kind of "notchy"

this may have been asked before but i have searched here and on youtube to find my issue and i have come up empty.

Thank you,

SG
Old 09-21-2011, 11:01 AM
350ZZJoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the clutch chatter upon acceleration as I am letting the clutch engage but after that is goes away. I never get it going under 2000rpm around a corner either.

I don't think your issue sounds normal. And a notchy transmission could mean a problem with the transmission and not just the clutch.

I would take it to a good mechanic to have it checked out
Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 AM
briin79

Has a lightweight flywheel been installed? this happened to me when i got the flywheel installed. and from i been told its something i have to live with. when clutch is engaged it doesnt chatter. once off clutch it chatters
Old 09-21-2011, 11:44 AM
briin79

Originally Posted by sgreb
Hi Guys, Sory i know clutch chatter has been talked up and down forwever. I have used the search and i have been unable to find exactly what i am looking for.

I have a 06 350z that just had its engine replaced by Nissan (short block), and when they did that i put the Stillen clutch kit into the car.

I do get the standard clutch chatter at idle in neutral, but when i push down the clutch it disappears.

What my question is when i accelerate and my foot is completely off the clutch, it makes a loud rattling sound until about 2k rpm, This goes in any gear, for example turning in 2nd or 3rd into corner. if my RPM drop below 2k, i get a very loud rattle.

1-Is this normal and something that i just have to live with?
2-Is there something wrong with clutch or install?
3- And lastly i have a hard time getting it into 5th /6th gear since the clutch change. it will go in but its kind of "notchy"

this may have been asked before but i have searched here and on youtube to find my issue and i have come up empty.

Thank you,

SG
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...l-chatter.html
Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 AM
GBoger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

throw out bearing?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 PM
sgreb

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your replies.

I have brought the car into Nissan today and they have fixed my shifter so i can now easily shift into every gear. so 1 problem is now gone.

Yes there is a lightweight flywheel i bought the Stillen combo and i believe its is a 13.8 lb flywheel.

So the only outstanding problem is.

If i am in first gear as an example (although it applies to all) with foot of clutch below 2k ripm, and hit the gas it will make a loud rattle until 2k rpm and then it is good after that point.

I just wanted to see if some of the other guys with , stillin/JWT have the same issues.

thank you again everyone.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:24 PM
briin79

Originally Posted by sgreb
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your replies.

I have brought the car into Nissan today and they have fixed my shifter so i can now easily shift into every gear. so 1 problem is now gone.

Yes there is a lightweight flywheel i bought the Stillen combo and i believe its is a 13.8 lb flywheel.

So the only outstanding problem is.

If i am in first gear as an example (although it applies to all) with foot of clutch below 2k ripm, and hit the gas it will make a loud rattle until 2k rpm and then it is good after that point.

I just wanted to see if some of the other guys with , stillin/JWT have the same issues.

thank you again everyone.
Yes that chatter you hear under 2k is from a lightweight flywheel. its normal and wont affect anything. you will get used to it. At first i would be embarassed to drive it. i got used to it real quick after a week or so. Just google flywheel chatter 350z or g35 and u will see a bunch of people in the same boat as us.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:18 PM
asbestos

My '06 manual does the exact same thing as OP. Everything is stock and only has 33k miles. I'm so used to it now that I don't notice it anymore, but when someone new gets in my car they always ask me what that noise is.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:46 AM
sgreb

thank you briin79. Greatly appreciated.

yeah i am starting to get used to it already, little more gas, and softer on the pedal under 2k seems to remedy the situation and hide the noise quite well.

Thank you,
SG