Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Ls2. Iron block vs aluminium

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:26 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

again check your information the ls1,ls2,ls6,ls7,ls9,lq4,lq9, and l99 are all the same engine of different options you can take parts off any one of those and swap them to another(well assuming you take clearances into account ls1 will have issues with the bigger valved cylinder heads but they will still bolt on just fine.) outside the l99 which has variable valve timing the only major difference between these engines is the block material (aluminum vs iron) and displacement, stuff like the cams, intake, and well pretty much everything is interchangable. the blocks are the same(outside the 5.3L truck block which has ridiculously thick cylinder walls) you can take a ls2 piston and put it in a lq4 no problem, you can take the crank from any one of those engines and put in any other one of them no machining required(you might have some engine management problems depending on the crank sensor teeth number however.) the only difference is the options.

what i am doing is like comparing two 350z's a base or a track they both have different options but they are both 350z's. the lq4, lq9 and ls2 all have different options but they are all the same engine family/engine architecture. and the OP was talking about aluminum vs iron block ls2, well a iron block ls2 dosnt exist(unless you custom make one out of the gm performance parts custom aftermarket lsx block which is 3k for a unfinished bare block but that dosnt come in any production gm vehicle.) what DOES exist however is the lq4 and lq9 which is the iron block VERSION(read here iron block OPTION) of the ls2. know what YOU are trying to do is like someone saying "nissan dosnt make a 5 speed 350z" and then you come along and say "oh nissan makes a 5 speed 240sx!" yah sure they are both rwd but they are completely different cars.

Again the second post did not have misguided information as everyone here is talking about the ls/lq series engine except for you again you are taking my words out of context, and since you dont seem to understand what that means and just are trying to be a troll and get this thread locked here we go. everyone was talking about the ls/lq engine in which they do not have a iron block 5.7L lq and you came in but the lt1 is 5.7L and iron block!(which is wrong post all the websites you want congratz you brought up two private owned website and are getting your information from other people compared to i have actually worked on them and one website anyone can change, would you like me to change it now to say aluminum?) what you did is like me talking to someone else and saying "dude its not like im gay" and then you hop in and say "omg he said he is gay!!" your ignoreing 90% of the post in which we are talking about ls/lq engines.

Once again go work on it yourself and you will see its aluminum and heres a little extra information to help you with gm engines. whereas nissan(and pretty much every import car) classifys there engines very specifically such as rb25det,rb26dett,sr20det,vq35de,vq30de and each engine has its own specific classification. AMERICAN companys do it a much much simpler way and classify it by an ENGINE FAMILY, for gm that would be gen 1,2,3, or 4 small block, or big block or iron duke, or ecotec or in fords case(sorry cant name dodge not a fan) small block, modular(the 5.4L,4.6L and the v10 which i think is around 6.7L they all have different intakes, different cylinder heads, the 4.6L has 2,3 and 4 valve heads, and heck one engine even has 2 extra cylinders but they are all modular motors), and most recently the coyote. that little ls2 is nothing more then an rpo code the same as the paint code so the factory worker knows which one to put in it, they dont need more info than that. nissan uses rpo codes as well but they dont have as many engines that come in the same vehicle(what 2 engines max for there truck and maxima vs like 7 engines gm has come in there truck?)

anyway dude i tryed to be nice but now your just getting annoying because you obviously have NO experience with these engines, tryed to take on someone who has worked on a ton of these engines(i can provide pics of my first gen 1 if you like somehow i have those on my laptop thats about it though since the rest are in hawaii somewhere halfway across the world.) then failing miserably and being backed into a corner. like i said go do research best place is actually a machine shop who works on them not the internet(its actually the worst place since ive had issues with cams and pistons when i get the info directly from the manufacturer sometimes they have typos too), even better then that is work on the engines themselves. Granted gen 3/4 are still kinda expensive but you can pick up a gen 1 sbc complete for 150 bucks, 2k for a 383 stroker kit, 200 bucks for a cam, 700 for complete iron eagle heads(unless they went up been awhile and i prefered to port my heads to keep compression up), 200 bucks for a air gap intake, 500 for rockers and springs, and 500 for a carb and you have a rediculous 600+ hp/tq beast. 4250(well a little more for machining so figure 4700) for 600-700 hp/tq that will last forever(granted its heavy as ****) for the price of a vq stage 1 shortblock with pauter rods and a core charge
Old 12-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Brew_haha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crsracing19
I was just curious to what you guys think.
Is the difference in wieght between the aluminum block vs iron block worth the ability to go boost crazy if one so desired.
The way I see it the iron blocks are cheaper stronger.
Yet as much as I love the idea of a TT ls2 350z. I'm concered that such a heavy block will throw off the suspension and cause entirely to much change in a front to rear weight ratio
To answer your question, yes it is 80lbs heavier not a big deal when a stock LQ9 block can support 700-800 hp on stock internals with the help of rod bolts and head studs. This is exactly the reason why i chose the LQ9 6.0 , they are cheap and great for high HP numbers with stock internals.