Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

HELP with Relay, circuit trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Darkknight916

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP with Relay, circuit trouble

I'm trying to run down the gremlins that the HKS DLI 2 unleashed in the electrical system...

So far, i've checked all the main cabin, engine bay and IPDM ("intelligent" Power Distribution Module-the dealy-o next to the battery) fuses... all are good and new (ie, replaced).I also replaced all the small relays in the IPDM. Originally, the car would do the prestartups, meaning you could hear the Fuel pump run to build pressure and all the systems relays check and then one of the IPDM relays would just shutter or repeatedly click. Other times i would just get the starter solenoid relay to click and then nothing. I figured it was either the throttle control motor relay or the Fuel pump relay- however the throttle butterfly never moved...

Once i replaced those relays and try to start the car, all that happens is the radiator fans turn on immeadiately and there is no noise from the fuel pump, the car will click once when the key is turned to start it and nothing.

Kinda stuck since it was my summer daily driver... now what

thanks for the help in advance
Old 04-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Darkknight916

NO one at all? C'mon, there's gotta be someone out there with vast knowledge of this car's electronics
Old 04-05-2012, 06:29 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Did you remove the HKS DLI? It sounds like your ECU is dead. If you know someone with a similar model year that you could swap with to try, that would be easiest. Otherwise, you need to test output going to the coils, injectors, etc.

Last edited by rcdash; 04-05-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the fans come on immediately and nothing else then your ECU and/or BCM is dead. I wouldn't just hook another ECU up until you find out what caused the 1st failure... if the short is still there you're going to fry the new one too...
Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Darkknight916

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by djamps
If the fans come on immediately and nothing else then your ECU and/or BCM is dead. I wouldn't just hook another ECU up until you find out what caused the 1st failure... if the short is still there you're going to fry the new one too...
well crud... i hope that it's not the ECU. Would (COULD) the HKS twin DLI II cause the short? ( i mean, i know it could but does it make sense that it would kill the ECU/BCU?

btw's thanks for the input, i'm pretty stumped
Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I think there is a good chance the HKS unit was causing the short. As long as you've removed it, I think there is little else you can do other than try another ECU.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Darkknight916

yeah, i removed the HKS and tried to reset the ECU. it stilll acts the same... the fuel pump doesn't prime and the radiator fans kick on at full blast when i take the key to ACC. I removed the ECU, hoping to find someone or some place that can repair it or something... it's probably a lost cause tho. The other issue is sourcing a new/used ECU with the "PC" prefix. (04 350z Touring 6MT).

thanks for the help
Old 04-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Darkknight916

Default daily bump for help

Just got off the phone with John from Z1 Motorsports in Ga... he said it can also be an issue with the IPDM... i've replaced ALL the small relays in there with new ones... the only relays i haven't replaced are the ones for the radiator fans (the bigger ones).

Does anyone know what part number they are and or what ELSE could be the problem with the IPDM if was damaged by the HKS?

Driving this things would be pretty cool right about now...
Attached Thumbnails HELP with Relay, circuit trouble-142628d1314653986-my-car-left-me-stranded-first-time-ipdm.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Victormurrieta (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 09:25 PM
Victormurrieta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z circuit issues

[QUOTE=Darkknight916;9690214]Just got off the phone with John from Z1 Motorsports in Ga... he said it can also be an issue with the IPDM... i've replaced ALL the small relays in there with new ones... the only relays i haven't replaced are the ones for the radiator fans (the bigger ones).

Does anyone know what part number they are and or what ELSE could be the problem with the IPDM if was damaged by the HKS?

Driving this things would be pretty cool right about now