Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Differential question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 05:53 PM
zcarver18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential question

Hey guys. So I've been meaning to change rear diff bushing but now I'm learning that I have an open differential. Should I bother changing all that or save for an LSD? I'm starting to loose hope in this thing....I want to make power but the only real way is to boost and I don't have the money for that now . Seems like every time I turn around its something else. Is the LSD a big deal?

I'm leaning towards selling it and buying something factory turbod to mess with but my z is in great shape with low miles for an 06 any advice would help
Old 05-22-2012, 06:44 PM
AngelsVQ

the lsd makes a huge difference, in my eyes its the best mod, should you wait to change the bushing at the same time as the lsd? i would just so i dont have to drop the differential twice. do you have to? no
why is the bushing bothering you now? is it just becasue you want it done and out of the way? if so just wait for the lsd.

and regarding your power comment:
what are your goals with this? just to make more power than stock? if so go buy an rsx and spend 5k$ so you can have 300hp... *cough*

if a motor dosent pick up alot of hp with boltons i see that as kind of a positive thing. that means nissan did a good job getting everything they could from the motor. you are right boosting is the only thing i would consider to add power, the rest of it is just for my enjoyment. (lower, louder, brighter bla bla)
Old 05-22-2012, 07:17 PM
herrschaft

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You could also get an OEM VLSD diff off a 370Z/G37. Not as good as an LSD but its cheaper and you could have a taller FD gearing.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:26 PM
realist alive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you just like the sound of a big blow off valve and cant handle the expense of a sports car, get the Hyundai coupe with the 2.0T then a blow off valve and you will be happy. if you want to sell it sell it now its only loosing value the longer you wait
Old 05-22-2012, 07:55 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to autocross and drive a car with LSD. Drive one without. Then you can tell me if it is a big deal.

And now a word from the guy who has been following me for years. I keep telling him no you cannot touch my pee pee but he just doesn't pay attention.

Last edited by davidv; 05-23-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:16 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Even if you buy a factory turbo car , you will still need to buy a real LSD to put the power down.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:25 AM
zcarver18

Well I'm in college right now so I know it's not realistic to drop that much change on forced induction ....I'm just itching for more power. But I understand all it entails besides just buying a kit and slapping it on. I guess my my real question was how big of a diff does and LSD make? Bc my car seems to drive just fine. What differences will I notice? And I once posted a pic of my exhaust on here and someone said I needed to change the diff bushings. So I was wondering if I had to change the bushings if I switched to LSD or do both at the same time. Differentials is an area about the z I don't know too much about
Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by zcarver18
Well I'm in college right now so I know it's not realistic to drop that much change on forced induction ....I'm just itching for more power. But I understand all it entails besides just buying a kit and slapping it on. I guess my my real question was how big of a diff does and LSD make? Bc my car seems to drive just fine. What differences will I notice? And I once posted a pic of my exhaust on here and someone said I needed to change the diff bushings. So I was wondering if I had to change the bushings if I switched to LSD or do both at the same time. Differentials is an area about the z I don't know too much about
Night and day difference if you install a real diff, not the VLSD crap.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the car drives just fine, then you don't need more power either, stop worrying about it, you're still young and going through school, experience teaches you a lot.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
If the car drives just fine, then you don't need more power either, stop worrying about it, you're still young and going through school, experience teaches you a lot.
Pretty solid advice.

I do recommend upgrading to an LSD as soon as you have the funds, though. An LSD and all new diff bushings will transform the car.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 AM
zcarver18

Yea I kno the "more power" is really more of a craving then an actual need by far... I have the funds to get an lsd now but I want to make sure its worth it u know? From what I understand all I need to do is buy one and replace old one? Will I still need new bushings? I've also heard the nismo diff cover helps make it more solid as well.

Which diff's should I look at ? 2 way 1.5 way. I've looked at quafe and carbonetic so far
Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 AM
zcarver18

From what I understand also though, is that an LSD Kicks in when I lose traction. I'm not out here spinning tires, jus trying to build a nice street car that I'll occasionally autocross it but other than that is it worth it to spend 1300* when I could spend it elsewhere. I should have stated this in my previous post
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 PM
AngelsVQ

from reading your post ide say a 1.5 way will suite you better. i have a carbonetics 2 way and i love it but i drift my car. alot. the lsd will help you push through corners with more confidence but honestly to me it docent seem like you need one at all.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:23 PM
zcarver18

Originally Posted by AngelsVQ
from reading your post ide say a 1.5 way will suite you better. i have a carbonetics 2 way and i love it but i drift my car. alot. the lsd will help you push through corners with more confidence but honestly to me it docent seem like you need one at all.
Seems like I may hold out on it and just change the bushings and add differential cover unless it makes a huge difference in how it drives daily with an extra punch every once in awhile
Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Seems like I may hold out on it and just change the bushings and add differential cover unless it makes a huge difference in how it drives daily with an extra punch every once in awhile
Yes is noticable, you will actually have traction
Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

It stops the problem when only one wheel breaks traction and spins but the other wheel stays still and doesn't drive the car. I assume you have the base model?

Unless you've run into this problem, it's not worth it for you.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:56 PM
zcarver18

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
It stops the problem when only one wheel breaks traction and spins but the other wheel stays still and doesn't drive the car. I assume you have the base model?

Unless you've run into this problem, it's not worth it for you.
That's a good point. Should I just change the bushings out and change the fluid in the stock diff?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:19 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

From what I understand also though, is that an LSD Kicks in when I lose traction. I'm not out here spinning tires, jus trying to build a nice street car that I'll occasionally autocross it but other than that is it worth it to spend 1300* when I could spend it elsewhere. I should have stated this in my previous post
Your explanation of LSD is terribly simplest. Plenty of help on the internet as to what LSD does and what is does not do.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:25 PM
zcarver18

Originally Posted by davidv
Your explanation of LSD is terribly simplest. Plenty of help on the internet as to what LSD does and what is does not do.
No I know what it does I was trying to keep it short bc I was typing on my phone. No need to tell u what it does when u already know.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:27 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

That's a good point. Should I just change the bushings out and change the fluid in the stock diff?
That's certainly worth doing, i put a good quality synthetic oil (doesn't really matter which) in the diff and i'll be changing out the bushes in the next few weeks.

Quick Reply: Differential question