Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

DE and HR mod ideas I think of, opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:38 AM
redline06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DE and HR mod ideas I think of, opinions welcome

I get bored at work (like now) and always have new ideas running through my head for new mods aside from the basic bolt ons. Granted the first two are just ideas with no evidence for any gains, and have not yet been tried to my knowledge. I would like to share some with you all just to see what your opinions are. If anyone has any ideas they want to share just post them up. This may be stupid to some but cool for others, I'll let you decide

First up,
HR guys replacing our stock throttle bodies with dual DE Throttle Bodies, yes i know the manifold is plastic but im sure the holes could be bored out to fit and it seems the TB connectors are the same from the DE to HR, not 100% sure on that though someone chime in on that. Then adding an intake system such as the Injen or Stillen long tube but WITHOUT two cone filters like normal, I was thinking each pipe having a velocity stack facing to the front and all of that contained inside an intake box in the grille with a panel filter and a hole up front for a ram air effect.

Now I know some of you may say the HR does not need bigger TBs as its not really a limiting factor. But im sure increasing flow/volume could never hurt . for example an aggressive cammed HR with long tube headers would most likely benefit from it, or when going FI it allows for bigger Intake piping.

CLIFF NOTES:
HR motor +
DE TBs +
injen/stillen style long tube intake piping without cone filters but with velocity stacks facing frontwards all contained in an intake box in the grille with a normal K&N panel filter and a front opening for Ram Air
Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 AM
redline06

Second one,
Since we know the intake plenum of the DE is garbage I was thinking why not find a way to flip it 180 degrees, install a big angled spacer to make the plenum even , cut the stupid power robbing neck of the plenum and mount your TB , wether its stock or a bigger one , obviously a bigger one would be better esp if youre already hacking **** up. a GM 92mm with a way to tune for it would be ****. Then the intake piping somehow making its way by the hood latch down to a Ram Air box in the grille
here is a quick rough drawing just to get an idea

I was also thinking you could either do this with the stock plenum or with one like this one , I stole this pic from a member on here LIGHTNING GUY hope you dont mind lol
Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 AM
redline06

Third one,
I've always wanted to do this but never really had a reason since I dont road course or auto X.
I know brake cooling ducts have been covered a billion times on here , this is just a way I thought would look pretty awesome.
Here is a pic of my car for reference, I would remove the refelector and cut along that blue line, then find/make a scoop out of plastic that would fit in there perfectly with a 3-4 inch hole for you to attach the tubing to go to the rotors. The only image in my head to describe the piece of plastic is the suction end of like a vacuum cleaner or something lol.

*yes i know the windshield reservoir is in the way on one side, remove or relocate that **** lol

Old 06-21-2012, 08:40 AM
redline06

Fourth one,
This one is very simple, but not practical. mainly for the drag racer who wants every last bit of power from his/her motor
Just need the right size serpentine belt.
before racing , remove your stock serpentine belt and install a belt that only runs your alternator. Or if youre even more crazy just dont run a belt haha

Im thinking HR motor but no reason you couldn't do it to a DE.
pic for reference

Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

Plenum has already been done.

http://shop.cj-motorsports.com/CJM-F...d-deintake.htm

Ducting has already been done..

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...rake-duct.html

the rest is a question of net benefit and diminishing return.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 AM
redline06

yea i know about the cjm plenum but i don't think it would be the same. I've never seen anyone with that plenum though do they even sell it?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 AM
redline06

oh lol nvm $2900 , fawk all that noise.
oh and of course brake ducting has been done i was just sharing a different idea
Old 06-21-2012, 01:36 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

If you look back through some threads I proposed the brake ducts using the side markers as well!

A lot of ideas are out there just taking the initial steps to getting them done is what many have yet to do...
Old 06-21-2012, 02:35 PM
redline06

oh damn lol I'll have to check it out, thanks.
yea one thing i hate about the Z community is the lack of innovation and experimenting, it's mostly cars getting done by shops and customers don't know anything about their car. And we just now finally have long tube headers out for a decent price after 10 years (the PPE ones, yes i know SGM had them but seriously how many people have them?) i like hearing about Frankenstein builds and unique parts and builds someone came up with in their garage lol. you ever been to the maxima forums? those guys know their ****. there are plenty of us on here with great skill and knowledge without a doubt, just wish we could get the ball rolling on things like for ex. HR motor with VHR crank HR rods and custom pistons, a set of aggressive cams, some nice long tube headers, big dual throttle bodies lol , something i want to do and am capable of doing but my Z is my daily so i can't afford not to drive it.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:12 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

^^^

Perfect example of how things don't get done! It's your daily so it's holding you back from materializing these ideas!

My Z isn't my daily so I am able to do things...but I too have my set back in a sense lol I just created another human being....

So I'll get all my ideas done in the next 7-8 years
Old 06-21-2012, 04:22 PM
redline06

lol but most people i know don't daily their Z , mainly garage or shop queens collecting dust. congratulations on "the creation of another human being" haha wish you the best of luck .
Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dual tb for hr is a pretty big experiment, mostly because the DE tb are not that cheap, and you need two of them. The hr manifold uses a rubber ring gasket in the plastic manifold with a groove machined into the plastic for it. Widening the openings would allow for matching the bore, but you lose the gasket. The bolts are set wider too, without extra material.

I've been working on finding a solution but none are easy, or cheap. The wiring isn't that complicated, if the DE ones are a no go, the 09 maxima could work seeing as it's a newer gen ecu, but those are more expensive and less readily available.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:08 PM
redline06

good to see someone else has interest,yea i know about the gasket and the wider set bolts but those are just minor speed bumps lol as long as the bigger TBs can plug up to the stock connector I'm good to go haha.

as for the maxima ones i researched those too and yes they are like you said a lot more expensive and can't be easily found used. but i can get used DE ones for about $90 a piece which isn't all too bad at all
Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM
T_K

That's the thing though, it's worth that if it works. Otherwise we just get a collection of junk parts, and my collection is much larger than I would like already, lol.

The 370 upper manifold doesn't bolt up, I have a theory that the lower might. It's just an expensive theory to test. Idea is to use the 370 upper and lower to create a manifold option. Strictly for cammed engines. Without knowing if the OEM cams are already tapped out, none of these might add any power. SGM proved that with the nonrevup DE.

Other things that work:

370z catback doesn't clear the stock sway bar on passenger side. I run a 350EVO bar, it clears and fits. Muffler sits a bit higher than stock, tips are about half inch from touching bumper. Center to center of tips is wider, outside edges of tips have about half inch clearance as well. 370 muffler and g37 muffler are not internally identical like it was with the 350 and G35l. G37 sounds better and more like OEM, however the tips extend out about 2 inches past rearmost part of bumper. I bring this up because the 370 rear sway bar is of similar dimensions as ours and may fit with adjustable end links. My alpha design was just the OEM 370Z midpipe, a G37 muffler and a Nismo S-Tune Y-Pipe. Once I knew it fit, I had the Y-Pipe mangled to bring the merge point closer to the engine and used another collector to properly split the exhaust down the individual midpipes.

2.5x2 -> 3 -> whatever the stock midpipe diamters are x2. Sounded awesome with the G37 muffler, but the muffler ended up having the infamous rattle, so I swapped for a 370Z one, to also alleviate the extended tip issue. This is how I discovered they were not internally the same, 370Z muffler was much "buzzier" than the G37.

Base radio from 370 works in base 350 but requires making a harness which isn't hard. 370 has outputs for rear speakers that go unused in that car. Just matching pins using a diagram is all it took. One wire needs to be moved to have the dimmer work. Steering wheel controls need to be hardwired though. Point of all this is for aux input. Darker shade of orange on led, and no clock. I should also add, it requires "massaging" a dash kit. Was it worth it? Probably not to most, if not all. I like the OEM look though.

Last edited by T_K; 06-22-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:54 AM
T_K

Stillen intakes use 2.75in couplers on the tb side, if that's the case, that's plenty area on an hr. The maf are smaller though, we could use a DE maf housing and fab something up. Definitely needs tuning though, I have uprev already, might have to play around with this idea.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:04 PM
redline06

technically it should work though , just considering the increase in flow. lol well having a collection of parts is just part of the hobby.
the 370 manifold theory could prob work just gotta fine a friend with a 370 that's down to let you test it it lol but i think i read that the HR manifold is better than the.VHR one which is why Motordyne has a modified 370 manifold. correct me if I'm wrong tho.
i like the ideas you're posting and great info on the G37/370Z mufflers, i always thought they sounded different.
the radio thing would be cool,i already have an aftermarket HU but that would be a nice unit for someone who wants it to look completely factory.
as for the coupler on the stillen.intakes is concerned i think that if we would be increasing the size of the throttle bodies the size of the piping should increase the same as well . i want to build an air box to fit in the middle of the grille
Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 PM
T_K

Stillen uses 2.75 at the tb but uses 2.5 for the rest, same size as the OEM maf. The other intake systems use the larger piping throughout but still neck down at the maf. I'm going to try this one out and see if there's anything to be made. I already have an extra set of hr OEM intakes anyway.

The motordyne intake manifold for the 370 is just a 350 manifold. It does give up a little top end for a ton of midrange. The 370 still uses an exhaust cam that's no more aggressive than ours so its still up for debate I would think once cams are upgraded.
n

Last edited by T_K; 06-23-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:21 PM
S13 S1lvia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree there is very little innovation on these forums but i put that largely down to the Z not being the cheapest car around. As they continue to drop in price there ought to be more and more DIY FI builds and less shops doing it as getting a shop to do it costs as much as buying the car in the first place. I guess it's just a game of wait and see.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:11 PM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redline06
oh damn lol I'll have to check it out, thanks.
yea one thing i hate about the Z community is the lack of innovation and experimenting, it's mostly cars getting done by shops and customers don't know anything about their car. And we just now finally have long tube headers out for a decent price after 10 years (the PPE ones, yes i know SGM had them but seriously how many people have them?) i like hearing about Frankenstein builds and unique parts and builds someone came up with in their garage lol. you ever been to the maxima forums? those guys know their ****. there are plenty of us on here with great skill and knowledge without a doubt, just wish we could get the ball rolling on things like for ex. HR motor with VHR crank HR rods and custom pistons, a set of aggressive cams, some nice long tube headers, big dual throttle bodies lol , something i want to do and am capable of doing but my Z is my daily so i can't afford not to drive it.
This is coming from a guy who made a "what should I buy" thread. Also, Im guessing you havent seen this yet:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...ht=twin+charge

Dude is doin big thangs. You are free to innovate as well, if you feel this community is lacking.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 AM
redline06

wait maybe I'm reading this wrong trav but are you saying that I made a "what should i buy" thread because i don't recall ever doing that

and yes that is kind of what this thread is for, got any ideas?

Last edited by redline06; 06-24-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Quick Reply: DE and HR mod ideas I think of, opinions welcome