Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

200+ MPH 350Z build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Ditch the T56 and go for an EMCO. It's only ~25k for the trans.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Dave@ETTuning

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Ditch the T56 and go for an EMCO. It's only ~25k for the trans.
LOL, were allready 50 large over budget, I aint even trying to sell that.

Cass007, I promised you, I would get back to you on the suspension. I had to call a guy that used to work for us, he has moved on and now works for Titan Motorsports, it took me a little bit to get a hold of him. He was responcible for working with Fontana racing on the suspension parts. I stand corrected, all the suspension front and rear is from Fontana racing, nice pieces but not a great company to deal with, didnt have good luck there.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

How do you expect that bodykit not to fly off at 200+mph? I would of gone for something that was at least tested in a tunnel.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Dave@ETTuning

Originally Posted by dikspiel
How do you expect that bodykit not to fly off at 200+mph? I would of gone for something that was at least tested in a tunnel.
Well I dont have a picture of it, but there is very involved frame work, with a ton of Dzeus fasteners, that go under the bumpers and fenders and I guess we will hope for the best, I have built more than a few race cars that have run over 200 and havent lost any body work yet, lol.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:10 PM
kno

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts

subscribed! awesome build dude gl
Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 PM
04dg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow crazy build.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Hi Dave,

Welcome !!! I just found your thread.

I may have missed it, you said 230-240mph, are you building this car for LandSpeed, Standing Mile, Drags or?

Nice Build.

TimRod
Old 07-18-2012, 03:22 AM
Dave@ETTuning

Hi TimRod, this car is being constructed to run Nasa super unlimited, Texas mile and time attack and whatever the owner/driver decideds to do with this. When completed this car will represent and run out of our shop.

Ill be posting the next update later today, with all the engine specs, its just taken a little while to compile all the info!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In for updates
Old 07-18-2012, 05:41 AM
QTB

This is great! +1 for another MO Z33 V8 build, and much much more insane than mine
Old 07-18-2012, 06:47 AM
TAHorizon

Originally Posted by dikspiel
What are you trying to do, sell Voltex pieces?

Can't wait for the next installment Dave!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:19 AM
graffkid732

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TAHorizon
What are you trying to do, sell Voltex pieces?

Can't wait for the next installment Dave!
Let's calm down here hah.

But he does give a valid point about pieces flying off and even being aerodynamic enough to get to 230+ mph.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:28 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave, if you are at liberty to say who's gtr was that and who did he sell it to? I haven't seen it around st louis in the car scene so I assume someone that bought it is older and just enjoys it without racing. A 600hp gtr would definitely be stomping some of these domestic locals and make a name for itself . I didn't see it in the shop any of the times I was there which is a bummer. I must have just missed it when I was there back in May.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 AM
tonyzS/C03

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

how did i miss this too....
this makes me wanna

^OP when its finished and hits 230+ MPH
Old 07-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Dave@ETTuning

Originally Posted by binder
Dave, if you are at liberty to say who's gtr was that and who did he sell it to? I haven't seen it around st louis in the car scene so I assume someone that bought it is older and just enjoys it without racing. A 600hp gtr would definitely be stomping some of these domestic locals and make a name for itself . I didn't see it in the shop any of the times I was there which is a bummer. I must have just missed it when I was there back in May.
Unfortunately I have been asked not to use his name, however I will tell you that he owns the building were in, He is partners with Jon in the business and he also runs the sales side of the business, we also sell high end euro/asian cars, like Porsche, ferrari, Bentley, Rover, etc.

I beleive it was sold to a broker in florida, but dont quote me on that and it was sold probably a year ago, he goes thru cars pretty quick, lol. The car was straight crazy! I did a bunch of laps with him driving at Gateway and Putnam Park, the car was absolutely incredible at how hard it could corner and acclerate out of a turn. the AWD and live diff on that car are amazing, the way it figures out where to direct the power, the down side, if there is one, the car is so automated and way to freaking smart, cant fool the damn thing, we tryed.

I dont know if there is an objection to telling GTR stories on this part of the forum, if not let me know and ill tell you a couple of crazy stories about that car you probably wont believe. Its up to you guys.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:13 PM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a GTR section but I don't mind crazy stories here (since I don't go to the GTR section LOL)
Old 07-18-2012, 12:22 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wonder if this was ever finished. they wanted 1200whp as well
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...rocharger.html
Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Resmarted

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Your thread your rules

Crazy stories ahoy. Except of its on the street just adlib to match "closed course"
Old 07-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Dave@ETTuning

Well after looking around on here this week, its seems that a lot of guys are doing LS swaps in these cars and of course if anyone is interested in doing that to their car we can certainly accomidate that swap at the shop.

So here are the engine spec's, as promised.

The base engine is all World Products " Warhawk" series and we opted for the 6 bolt head stud option. While we got all bare castings,but they were all fully preped by World. Because this is a very serious race car, we purchased 2 blocks and 2 sets of heads and the plan is to have a back up bullet if something were to go terribly wrong.

Now for the technical stuff:

The bore on the block is 4.155 and the stoke is 4 inches and should be right around 430cubic inches. the heads are 14 degree, they have been fully CNC ported. The intake valves are 2.125 and the exhaust are 1.650 and the combustion chamber is 65cc. The pistons are from Arias and have a slight dish, to keep the static compression ratio in check. The pistions are coated, both on the dish and on the skirts for longevity. The connecting rods are from Carillo and the crank is a internally balanced pro series from Lunati. The oil system is quite invloved, the oil pump come from Aviad and is belt driven off the crank, the pump is fed by a -12 hose from a 5 gallon Peterson oil tank, that located in the far right corner of the trunk. This is a 4 stage dry sump system and has -10 scavenge lines coming out of the pan and then a -16 return line to the tank. Of course we have a large Earls oil cooler and Peterson servicable oil filter, included in the system to make it complete. Moving on, the valve train is all comp cams, full roller cam that is a custom grind just for this application. We decided to go with a jessel belt drive system for cam timing and the jury is still out on that, to see if that was the best choise.
Now I think that I should mention that all these pieces are for an LS engine, however, there was a ton of custom machine work to get everything to fit properly, these pieces never fit right out of the box. The Intake manifold is from Mast and was match ported to the heads and radiused and polished inside. Atop that sits a 2500 cfm throttle body. All the engine management, including the ignition and fuel injection are Accel Gen7. We do R&D work for them from time to time and they hold one of there national tuning classes at our shop, infact I believe we have another one coming up in Sept, but I'd have to check on that. I also need to make another correction on the clutch(sorry again not my department) its actually a Tilton Carbon triple disc, with a light weight flywheel also from Tilton.

I already mentioned about the blower, so I dont think I need to cover that again.

On a personal note: Im walking unassisted today, with a bit of a limp, LOL, but feeling much better and definately wanting to get back to this project and get it finished, ASAFP! I definately hope to get back to work sometime next week.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Dave@ETTuning

Originally Posted by str8dum1
wonder if this was ever finished. they wanted 1200whp as well
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...rocharger.html
I realize this thread is getting somewhat long, but if I could make one request , please read through the entire thread, before asking questions that have already been answered.

NO the car is'nt finished, but it will be hopefullyby sometime late next month, we are on final assembly, as we speak. The reason I waited to start this thread where i did in the build process was, so it didnt drag on for a year and everyone got bored with it. So if you want to see it finished and see what kind of numbers we hit......................................................Sta y Tuned!!

Last edited by Dave@ETTuning; 07-18-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 200+ MPH 350Z build thread