Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Too much info, need quick and real data for budget CD009 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Javi D Nor-Cal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Too much info, need quick and real data for budget CD009 upgrade

Hey Z techies, I have been reading through the posts and see a lot of info on the "garbarge" 3rd gear that goes out. I blew mine up and bought a CD009 from a "06 to put in my "04. I've been reading on what else to replace when I do this. I'm a family guy with a tight budget. I have 1k to do this. I need thoughts on a "street" clutch kit with flywheel (for a heavy foot), materials needed, other items to address at the time of swap like rear main seal, etc.
No mods have been done "YET".... any street mods you'd reccomend? My Z was a father's day present last year and never seemed to run right. There's a few things I see that I can buy, Cobbport Tuner, test pipes, air intakes..... I really want to spend this 1k wisely because I won't have more freed up cash for a while.
"Help" I need to smog the car and can't without 3rd gear, so I'm in a time crunch with the CD009 sitting in my garage.
Note: I'll be looking for someone to do the tranny swap.

Last edited by Javi D Nor-Cal; 09-27-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Rokyr

Sell it, buy a Mach 1.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:20 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

if you bought a complete cd009 including the shifter brackets etc, then the only thing that you need to add are a chromoly pivot ball and a SS clutch line while youre in there.. itd be dumb not to reolace the master and slave as well.. as for clutch JWT combo can be had for 750 shipped usually.

Seals are not an issue w this car for the most part.

Your JWT will be noisy but streetable and holds tons of power and is sprung and full faced so its normal for driving. Comes w a throwout.

A last idea is a RJM clutch pedal bracket.. search and you will see its very popular.
I ahve mine sitting in the floorboard waiting install as well. All in youre around a G and will never ahve to be in these areas again for another 100k miles. .
Old 09-27-2012, 12:35 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Moved...
Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

someone had to ^ lol.

Hope you moved it right next to all the other threads about this.. lol.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Javi D Nor-Cal

Here's a pic of the tranny. I'll check into the JWT set up. Where should I be looking for best pricing and what model or part id.? Honestly I was looking for something on ther lower end around $400, but if they're junk I wont waste my $$. Even with mods I don't think I'm going to go above 400hp.
Attached Thumbnails Too much info, need quick and real data for budget CD009 upgrade-20120607_123845.jpg  
Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 PM
HaroldStewar
Banned

itd be dumb not to reolace the master and slave as well
Old 09-27-2012, 07:23 PM
hugo350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Javi D Nor-Cal
Here's a pic of the tranny. I'll check into the JWT set up. Where should I be looking for best pricing and what model or part id.? Honestly I was looking for something on ther lower end around $400, but if they're junk I wont waste my $$. Even with mods I don't think I'm going to go above 400hp.
they sell spoons at the store within your budget lol jp op
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Javi D Nor-Cal

Wow, that was pretty informative... so noone knows if these $400 kits are crap for street use. I'm not tracking the car. The JWT seems a little overkill for daily driving. My driving consists of in traffic doing 25mph on the freeway, letting a little loose here and there 140mph+, when there's absolutely noone out, and dropping the clutch here and there in town. I'm not dragging against subis.
So for real, for those that actually know.... more about clutches than spoons! what is a good setup for my street application? If $750 kit from JWT so be it. I have the money to do that, but I don't need to drop it on overkill if it's not needed. There are other mods I can do for that extra $300.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:55 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the cheaper clutchs are cheaper for a reason, they are crap spend the money this platform isnt cheap. also its a flywheel not a flex plate. flex plates are on automatics.

its gotta take forever to get to 140 on a mostly stock z.............
Wow, that was pretty informative... so noone knows if these $400 kits are crap for street use. I'm not tracking the car. The JWT seems a little overkill for daily driving. My driving consists of in traffic doing 25mph on the freeway, letting a little loose here and there 140mph+, when there's absolutely noone out, and dropping the clutch here and there in town. I'm not dragging against subis.
So for real, for those that actually know.... more about clutches than spoons! what is a good setup for my street application? If $750 kit from JWT so be it. I have the money to do that, but I don't need to drop it on overkill if it's not needed. There are other mods I can do for that extra $300.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Javi D Nor-Cal

Ok, I appreciate the informative comments. What I'm asking for is data, info based on your experience. This thread is like a lot of others, with comments and opinions. What kits have been used and why are the exedy kits crap? What failed? As you can tell I'm looking for an upgrade to stock that I can do since I'm swapping the tranny out. Most threads point to the jwt, some say their exedy stage 1 worked fine. Some say use the nismo flywheel for the street due to noise... so share some info on parts for my daily driver please. I want to get the swap done next week, so I need to get everything ordered. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to the z. My last toy was a 68 chevelle where heads and cam were your best upgrade with gears following. So help a new owner out.

Last edited by Javi D Nor-Cal; 09-28-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 AM
jerryd87

dont think anyone said exedy is crap i make alot of power so i have my southbend. you said you wanted clutch and flywheel, if your a kit for $400 bucks like that its gotta be crap. the exedy's im seeing are 800 to get that.......... im guessing it might have been a misunderstanding as i took it you where looking for a clutch and flywheel for that price.

if you get the rjm bracket then any clutch is going to be fine even my southbend really isnt bad, so i can only imagine what a lesser clutch would be like.

i can tell you however what i have is pretty noisy(jwt lightweight flywheel southbend full face), but for the money you are going to have a hard time beating jwt. about 100 bucks cheaper then the exedy for the kit
Ok, I appreciate the informative comments. What I'm asking for is data, info based on your experience. This thread is like a lot of others, with comments and opinions. What kits have been used and why are the exedy kits crap? What failed? As you can tell I'm looking for an upgrade to stock that I can do since I'm swapping the tranny out. Most threads point to the jwt, some say their exedy stage 1 worked fine. Some say use the nismo flywheel for the street due to noise... so share some info on parts for my daily driver please. I want to get the swap done next week, so I need to get everything ordered. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to the z. My last toy was a 68 chevelle where heads and cam were your best upgrade with gears following. So help a new owner out.

Last edited by jerryd87; 09-28-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Javi D Nor-Cal

Hey, thanks for the input. The reason I'm asking is because the shops around here in Sac are wanting me to go stock. I haven't met anyone here who is knowledgeable enough to point me in the right direction as far as aftermarket upgrades without wanting to gouge me. If I followed their advice, I'd have my 04 MT rebuilt and put back in for over 2k.... with stock clutch and resurfaced flywheel if they knew how to do it. With so many options on the market I would hate to make a bad investment having kids doesn't allow me the $$ to drop a lot of money on my car. I have 1500 to do this work including install labor. So thanks for your help!
Here's what I'm talking about $438.00, Shop's would recommend this as an upgrade....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-NEW-CL...23fc1d&vxp=mtr

This is a brand new genuine Exedy standard direct replacement clutch kit. This clutch kit contains all the necessary components to do your clutch replacement and is the perfect setup for any stock or lightly modified vehicle. Exedy Globalparts Corporation was founded in 1923 and its clutch manufacturing business and prominent brand name Daikin Clutch are known throughout the world for supplying quality powertrain products. Exedy supplies to all 11 vehicle manufacturers in Japan as well as many other vehicle manufacturers around the world. Exedy is the largest clutch manufacturer in Japan and their name stands for the highest in quality and performance.
The following clutch kit includes:
• Exedy Pressure Plate
• Exedy Clutch Disc (250mm, 24 spline)
• Release Bearing
• Pilot Bushing
• Alignment Tool
• Installation Guide
F1 Racing Lightweight Chromoly Flywheels are made from 4140 one-piece forged chromoly steel. They are specifically designed to reduce weight and inertia for better engine response. Most incorporate special design features to enhance the air flow to improve the cooling of the clutch. The ring gear teeth are milled onto the flywheel unlike an aluminum flywheel where the ring gear is pressed onto the flywheel which has the possibility of seperating from the flywheel. All F1 Racing Chromoly flywheels have passed engineering tests to 12,000 rpm.
• Ultra heavy-duty and weighs only 18 lbs (Stock flywheel weighs 31 lbs)
• Note: Replacement of stock dual mass flywheel may cause added gear noise
• Meets or exceeds SFI 1.1 specification
• Made from 4140 forged chromoly steel (2X stronger than billet steel)
• F1 Racing Chromoly Flywheels incorporate special design features to enhance airflow for improved clutch cooling and performance
• F1 Racing Chromoly Flywheels work with every clutch including Exedy, ACT, Fidanza, Clutchmasters, and other direct replacement clutch kits
• CAD designed, CNC machined and computer balanced
Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Javi D Nor-Cal

More on the other kits that would be standard replacement...
For $324.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-STAGE-1-C...&forceRpt=true
F1 RACING STAGE 1 clutch kit is an upgrade heavy-duty clutch set up for those who seeks streetable high performance clutch. It is a direct factory replacement parts thus no modifications are needed. The clutch kit includes only the highest grade components and it's ready for hot action on street and track. The premium organic friction material for high heat tolerance, quick recovery, good friction and long life. The heavy-duty sprung center unit boasts heat treated springs and retainer rivets for the maximum power and durability. The F1 Racing pressure plate features special single diaphragm design to increase clamp load. It features induction hardened diaphragm, CNC machined castings, stronger drive straps and rivets. F1 Racing pressure plate provides smooth and precise feel with easy modulation. All F1 Racing pressure plate is load tested on a special testing tool for quality assurance.
This complete Clutch Kit and Flywheel package includes:
• F1 Racing Lightweight Chromoly Racing Flywheel
• F1 Racing Heavy-Duty Pressure Plate
• F1 Racing Full Face Organic Disc (248 mm, 24 spline)
• Release Bearing
• Pilot Bushing
• Alignment Tool
• Installation Guide
Horsepower Rating: 385 HP / Torque Capacity: 359 ft/lbs

F1 Racing Lightweight Chromoly Flywheels are made from 4140 one-piece forged chromoly steel. They are specifically designed to reduce weight and inertia for better engine response. Most incorporate special design features to enhance the air flow to improve the cooling of the clutch. The ring gear teeth are milled onto the flywheel unlike an aluminum flywheel where the ring gear is pressed onto the flywheel which has the possibility of separating from the flywheel. All F1 Racing Chromoly flywheels have passed engineering tests to 12,000 rpm.
• Ultra heavy-duty and weighs only 18 lbs (stock flywheel weighs 31 lbs)
• NOTE: Replacement of dual mass flywheel may cause added gear noise.
• Meets or exceeds SFI 1.1 specification
• Made from 4140 forged chromoly steel
• F1 Racing Lightweight Chromoly flywheels incorporate special design features to enhance the airflow for improved clutch cooling
• F1 Racing Lightweight Chromoly flywheels work with every clutch including Exedy, ACT, Fidanza, Clutchmasters, and other OEM clutch kits
• CAD designed, CNC machined and computer balanced
Attached Thumbnails Too much info, need quick and real data for budget CD009 upgrade-exedy-clutch-and-xtd-prolite-17-flywheel.jpg  
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Javi D Nor-Cal

So if the shops here say these are fine... why are they wrong???
Old 09-28-2012, 02:41 PM
jerryd87

if your going to get that get there house brand, willing to bet money the "exedy" one they have is nothing more then house brand with a exedy sticker anyway since the real exedy stage 1's are about 400 bucks for just the clutch.

its a classic you get what you pay for, dont expect any better then stock and personally i would expect worse then stock they are cheaper due to inferior materials so its not going to hold up as well. what i can tell you from just a quick search from google is alot of people have had nothing but problems with f1 clutchs and flywheels and they have horrible customer service when the problems develop.

also most shops in my experience have no idea what they are doing anyway so i wouldnt go to them unless its a big name place with lots of positive reviews and have been around awhile.

Last edited by jerryd87; 09-28-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:36 PM
hugo350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jerryd87
if your going to get that get there house brand, willing to bet money the "exedy" one they have is nothing more then house brand with a exedy sticker anyway since the real exedy stage 1's are about 400 bucks for just the clutch.

its a classic you get what you pay for, dont expect any better then stock and personally i would expect worse then stock they are cheaper due to inferior materials so its not going to hold up as well. what i can tell you from just a quick search from google is alot of people have had nothing but problems with f1 clutchs and flywheels and they have horrible customer service when the problems develop.

also most shops in my experience have no idea what they are doing anyway so i wouldnt go to them unless its a big name place with lots of positive reviews and have been around awhile.
To my knowledge(the little I have) is that the stage one exedy is the same as stock. The jwt clutch uses an exedy disc with a lightweight flywheel with a replaceable contact area which is the same as fidanza(I own the fidanza). Op the jwt is the way to go. Most peole who one it praise it and love it. It is not overkill because i believe is rated to 400-500hp limit(I don't know the torque). I know daily driving is mainly what you do but with an "inferior" clutch; a couple of "dumping the clutch" procedures and it is sure to start slipping and burning(just like the stock) and that is the whole reason why you want to avoid the "cheaper" ones. Of course with enough abuse every clutch is going to slip though, some just last longer than others.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:41 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

103k miles on my OEM clutch and when removed still had a good 20k life left on it.. amazing.

proper break in makes a large difference as well on any. Dont burn and glaze it before the material has a chance to migrate to all friction surfaces.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:30 PM
jerryd87

pretty much nail on the head exedy makes jwt discs and fidanza makes there flywheels but there stuff is a little cheaper then the stuff branded directly from the manufacturer.
Originally Posted by hugo350z
To my knowledge(the little I have) is that the stage one exedy is the same as stock. The jwt clutch uses an exedy disc with a lightweight flywheel with a replaceable contact area which is the same as fidanza(I own the fidanza). Op the jwt is the way to go. Most peole who one it praise it and love it. It is not overkill because i believe is rated to 400-500hp limit(I don't know the torque). I know daily driving is mainly what you do but with an "inferior" clutch; a couple of "dumping the clutch" procedures and it is sure to start slipping and burning(just like the stock) and that is the whole reason why you want to avoid the "cheaper" ones. Of course with enough abuse every clutch is going to slip though, some just last longer than others.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
103k miles on my OEM clutch and when removed still had a good 20k life left on it.. amazing.

proper break in makes a large difference as well on any. Dont burn and glaze it before the material has a chance to migrate to all friction surfaces.
75K miles and 6 seasons of autocross and ProSolo and the OEM clutch was actually still in decent shape.