Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

4 Years in Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:14 AM
nosurf2day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Years in Storage

I am about to move back to the mainland. When I do, I will be reunited with my Z. She has been 4 very long years in storage. Here is my concern, I am fairly knowledgeable of motor work but really don't know all the issues that I may be faced with.

For the experts out there what are the things that I should be on the lookout for? Here is what I know at a minimum.

1. Fuel change, I put in a fuel additive but I really don't know how much help it did with such a long time.
2. Oil, I know its not gummed up but when I was home on leave I tried to fill the motor up and found out that my oil return and feed lines to my TN kit are dry rotted and will need to be swapped out. That is where my main concern is. What other seals have to be swapped out.
3. Tires: The car is on stands but i may just need to change them out just to be safe.
4. It shouldn't have changed but after I get here cleaned up and the engine worked on, I am going to have the tune re-verified by FORGE.

What else should I be concerned with?

Last edited by nosurf2day; 11-12-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:14 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Change oil lines, fill oil, top off with gas, check tire pressure and fire it up. Drive easy till you burn that tank of gas off.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:30 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I'd change every fluid in the car; brakes, cooling system, trans, diff. Also, probably a new battery, and check the belts and hoses. If you've got aftermarket sway bars, re-grease the chassis bushings, too. I'd take it easy for a while and stay close to home with it, just in case any weirdness pops up, i.e fault codes for the engine, airbags, etc.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Ztouring04

welcome back..........i bet you cant wait to drive her...P.S i love the hood!! nismo??
Old 11-11-2012, 03:01 PM
nosurf2day

Originally Posted by Ztouring04
welcome back..........i bet you cant wait to drive her...P.S i love the hood!! nismo??
Thanks.

The hood is a OEM carbon fiber hood that just has vents cut in. A friend of mine who I picked up the hood from ZU L8R did it way back when with a template he made. I am pretty sure he copied the setup.

I made some mods to it for reinforcement and to naturally cowl the hood due to bowing from high speeds.

Last edited by nosurf2day; 11-11-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:05 PM
nosurf2day

Originally Posted by dcains
I'd change every fluid in the car; brakes, cooling system, trans, diff. Also, probably a new battery, and check the belts and hoses. If you've got aftermarket sway bars, re-grease the chassis bushings, too. I'd take it easy for a while and stay close to home with it, just in case any weirdness pops up, i.e fault codes for the engine, airbags, etc.
I forgot to mention it earlier but I was thinking of changing every fluid as a preventative measure just for GP as well. I didnt think about re-greasing the chassis. Battery will be a must, didnt think about that one either. I am sure it is done. Belt swaps for GP would be a good idea too. Dont have to worry about air bags, they have been gone for some time now. Now for other fault codes. God only knows.

Great tips, thanks.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Gunsmoke

I would change the oil, pull the ecu fuse, and turn the thing over and get some oil circulating first. If it has sat that long what little coating on everything is gone. If there wasn't much fuel in it, I would add some really good 93 then put the fuse back in and start it. If it was a lot, I would try to drain it, I don't think stabil will last that long. Let it sit and idle and make sure everything gets to temperature and check belts hoses etc. Then I would drive it somewhat gingerly to make sure the trans and diff fluids get circulated good. Also I guarantee, that there may have been some small amounts of oxidization on the cylinders and other parts so be easy on it. A ring or anything could be stuck from just sitting and the oil gumming and carbon deposits.

That sounds bad, but that's normal and if you don't try to just fire it up and go break its ***** you should be OK. Its just like getting an old car that's been setting for years, takes a bit to get everything seated again and used to temperatures especially the rubber seals.

I would definitely do as I say and prime the engine by turning it over with no fuse so it will not fire. Take my advice, I've done this a few times on cars that have sat for a couple years. Lifters rockers bearings and all will get more wear if you don't at a minimum do that. If you just fire one up there are a lot of noises that you know was rattles due to no lubrication and that equates to wear. Plus priming it, you know no oil journals are plugged by gunk the old oil could have formed from sitting.

After you drive it for a while changing the trans and diff fluids wouldn't be a bad idea, and probably the coolant just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't think brake fluid would have to be.

Good luck and glad you are back.

Last edited by Gunsmoke; 11-11-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:31 PM
nosurf2day

Some great info GUNSMOKE! Looks like I have some work to do before I take it up to FORGE. All this is doable.

Question for the experts, how many miles should I run it before I get her tune verified?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:02 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Brake fluid should be changed annually - car sitting, or not. It absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, which lowers boiling point and allows corrosion. If you don't have one, buy a Motive Products pressure bleeder - do the whole job, by yourself, in just a few minutes per corner.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 AM
bluelineshooter

Epic car! Everyone has already mentioned all that I thought of. I just wanted to compliment that beauty.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:50 AM

Don't forget the fuel lines! Anything rubber should be inspected. You may want to look at picking up an oil pump primer. They're used on private airplanes, due to the long period between use. I have them on my boat, as I spent a ton of $$$ on the motor after blowing the first one.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

Couldn't you just pull the fuel relay and use that to prime the oil pump
Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Classy
Couldn't you just pull the fuel relay and use that to prime the oil pump
Already mentioned, and that is what you would have to do.

What the others are talking about is spinning the oil pump without cranking the motor. Can't be done on a VQ , easily done in an old ford or chevy.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:36 AM
nosurf2day

Originally Posted by Gunsmoke
I would change the oil, pull the ecu fuse, and turn the thing over and get some oil circulating first.
I just thought of something. My ECU doesn't run the car my F-CON V Pro does so will pulling the fuse actually do anything?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Gunsmoke

I would think the fuel pump would still have to be fused, maybe some other members can chime in. Because it probably has a patch harness and that goes back to the cars wiring, which would go through the fuse box and relays.

Again more opinions are needed, but other stand alones I have worked with did this unless something is different on the Z.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

Im stoked to see an RS380 vented hood on a doluck.. i ordered up do luck fenders and front recently and had a friend cut RS vents into a stock hood i picked up cheap.. should be a cool change of pace from the VS.
Dude.. ive not been in my car for almost 2 years lol.. well, maybe 1.5 plus... i know how you feel in maybe a close approximation.. its awesome.. you get used to life w out it.. then when you get it back.. i can only assume it will be quite a gift .. i have a few weeks left only now.. makes you realize how fortunate you are to have such a fun car.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM
nosurf2day

You are right bro, I cant wait. I am sure its going to feel like a new car again.

Hell when I picked her up from the shop. I did a rim show that night on no notice in Miami that weekend, I entered a battle of the imports car show. Won best in show then tucked her away for storage. Great start to the new look. I only got to driver her around like that for about 5 days. So as far as I am concerned, the outside is a NEW CAR. The inside is all stuff I have had for a while but it wasnt my DD and I drove the car only for meets and shows so its still really new inside as well.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM
b18ccivics

you can build an engine oil primer, garden sprayer from lowes, fill it up with oil, take out the oil pressure sensor and fill the engine up. (after draining the oil of course)
Old 11-13-2012, 05:34 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

In for the pics, kinda would like to see it coming out of storage to see what it looks like.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't mess around with 4yr old gas but that's just me.