Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rear Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 01:50 PM
tony530

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal

Has anybody installed the rear main seal without removing the upper oil pan? ive read some of the treads on this forum and maxima fourm, but haven't really found any info??

the leak is coming from the halfmoon gasket from what i have read. can i remove both stud in the sides of the RMS seal that are on the block. use RTV silcone seal at the end of the RMS install the halfmoon on the RMS and evenally push it in??? or im i missing something?

any input would help?
RMS-Rear Main Seal
Old 12-23-2012, 02:27 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The upper oil pan sandwiches the front and rear half moon seals. u can pull out the rear main and half moon without removing the upper pan but refitting even without the dowel pins is a pain. Personally I was not able to do it without removing the upper oil pan but there are others on this site who have done it successfully.

You will not be able to get the half moon in without removing the rear main as the seal is recessed in the rear main as seen below.

If you do replace your rear main ensure u use genuine parts. Owners have reported issues with the cheaper variants. Search this forum as there are a few threads on the topic.

PS: make sure the dowel pins are put back in as this centers the seal

Last edited by MR RIZK; 12-23-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:48 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i did my upper oil pan the other day in about 3 hours and that was with a very thorough cleaning on everything(ie spotless), def need access to a lift for my way though. put the car on the lift, use tie downs on strut tower brace to hold up engine(i put em on headers), remove the k member support, unbolt the lower section of motor mounts, unbolt the steering shaft, then unbolt the 4 bolts for the k member and you can drop it enough to pull the pan out. like i said i spent alot of time making sure the cosworth oil control baffle, oil pan spacer, upper and lower pan where spotless as well as resealing my oil temp probe and my turbo feed line.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:27 PM
tony530

Yea I pick up my RMS from the dealership but it Brown not black seal. It's when I got home I notice the Grove on the button. Which is the halfmoon gasket...so I read up on it which indicated that I would have to remove the upper oil pan.

So I wanted to know if there a special tool or such to install it with removing the upper oil pan..don't really feel like taking the lower half off?
And for the halfmoon gasket all be ordering that Monday from dealership.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:27 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tony530
Yea I pick up my RMS from the dealership but it Brown not black seal. It's when I got home I notice the Grove on the button. Which is the halfmoon gasket...so I read up on it which indicated that I would have to remove the upper oil pan.

So I wanted to know if there a special tool or such to install it with removing the upper oil pan..don't really feel like taking the lower half off?
And for the halfmoon gasket all be ordering that Monday from dealership.
Look at the fsm for instructions. No special tools required. All my rear mains have been brown from nissan
Old 12-24-2012, 02:14 PM
tony530

yea i read somewhere that the rear seals used to be black. Im unsure when they went brown seals, but mine is aswell brown from nissan.

I just read the FSM dammm i really dont wanna pull the upper oil pan. Wonder if i can get any input from the people who gotten lucky or do it on a regular at work.

I will find out how bad it is when i do my clutch job.....