Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Time to replace clutch.. help a confused Guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 AM
pmarascal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to replace clutch.. help a confused Guy

I know there are many topics on this subject, I've read a ton on it but I'm still very confused... mainly by the quotes I've gotten around here and the double mass vs single flywheel, etc

I bought a used 2003 almost a year ago, recently noticed the clutch slipping if I put the hammer down.. time to replace the clutch... thought it was a simple process around 800-1K like the other vehicles I've had.. seems like it's not.

First place I called he gave me a quote of about $2200, talking about how much the parts are to convert the double mass Flywheel to single. Now at 87K miles on the car I don't know how the flywheel condition is, why can't it be turned like other cars? $2200 seems ridiculously high without even getting an upgrade Stage 1/2 or something.

After reading some more I think this shop may have been talking about putting in a new Stage 1 combo kit or something with a slight price mark up. So can the clutch be replaced with OEM and get back to a normal cost around 1K?

Also a few shops did offer to let me buy the kit and bring it to them only paying 400-500 in labor. If this is my only option it wouldn't be bad to go with something like http://g35driver.com/forums/engine-v...o-chatter.html

Last part.. I know this is a long post... I have that 'awesome' grind going into 3rd gear if I am at high RPMs and shifting fast. This happened long before I noticed the clutch slipping so I believe it may be the synchro. Any insights on this?

Thanks guys, I wish this car was as simple as working on my old Wrangler
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

changing the clutch is as simple as your old wrangler. I did mine by myself with just jack stands and a jack.

You cannot easily resurface a dual mass flywheel. SO chances are you need a clutch and flywheel combo. JWT offers a perfect replacement.

4-500$ @100/hr is about right for a clutch job.

If your 3rd gear is grinding, that is the synchro issue and only fix is a new transmission.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 PM
pmarascal

Thanks str8drum, problem with doing it myself is just that Clutch/transmission is the one of the things I've never done before. Really want to learn, but without the old man (dad) over my shoulder not sure if its something I want to rip apart in my garage when its my DD. Your words of encouragement bring me a little closer to trying it though

So if I'm going to pay ~1400 for OEM double mass replacement or else buy something like a JWT combo Stage 1 single mass flywheel and have the shop put it in (call it ~1400)... whats the route you would recommend? I know lightweight flywheel and Stage 1 kit may slightly speed up revving, etc.. but anything else I should know? Not sure what the chatter sounds like but not sure if it would bother me too much.

And so the synchro issue is only solved by a completely new transmission? SHIIIIITEE... Say I dont kill it going in/out of 3rd and baby that gear and keep that grind almost nonexistent... What is my risks of problem getting worse, blowing my tranny anyway?

EDIT: Running over to a Nissan dealer closeby right now for a quote, the guy offered to check it out for me so I can get a proper quote. Normally I wouldn't bother with the dealership, but I want to rack his brain about the synchro issue as well.

Last edited by pmarascal; 02-05-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/new-owners/...-3rd-gear.html
Old 02-05-2013, 12:54 PM
black3.5z

i had mine replaced at a shop simply because I was away from home and had no toold it was 500 for clutchmasters flywheel and 320 for exedy stage 1 clutch and I think 800 for labour but i was in alberta and labor is high out there dealers want 135 an hour.